TRAINING for LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
matt1986emg

TRAINING for LEJOG

Post by matt1986emg »

Hi

I intend to complete a 960 mile route in 12-14 days. so averaging probably about 80 miles per day. I have made my own training routine, however this is my first time training for such a long touring trip. I was wondering if anybody that has completed LEJOG before could have a look a give and comment on the routine I have produced. the red weeks are recovery weeks and blue shows the total mileage of that week. I also haven't put any time for tapering, as i'm not quite sure how much training I should do during this period just before leaving for the trip. any advice will be much appreciated.

thanks you

matt

training.png
sbcoombs

Re: TRAINING for LEJOG

Post by sbcoombs »

I would try to aim for a higher mileage long ride towards the end, so mentally you are well prepared. Also, you haven't defined what type of training you will do. Some of your shorter sessions would benefit from being hill repeats and turned Sweetspot sessions to build power.
BottomGear

Post by BottomGear »

Seems like a well structured training plan to me. I'm not hitting anywhere near that kind of mileage although I am cycling regular and gradually building up my hours.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I haven't done LEJoG before, but I have done other long tours. I'd say it looks pretty good.

My only question is whether your LEJoG is supported? If it Isn't, I would recommend at least one preparatory mini tour; two or three days in a row, carrying all of the stuff you plan to carry, and staying somewhere overnight.

This will do two things for you. First, train with a load, and second, check your gear selection.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
matt1986emg

Post by matt1986emg »

thanks for the advice, that's a good idea to do a mini tour. so i can iron out any unforeseen problems. I have thought about cycling London - oxford along the Thames in 2-3 days, so that would be good preparation.

How about tapering, should it be 1 or 2 weeks? how much mileage per week? so I rest and recover properly for the start of the trip.

cheers

matt
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think that the schedule you've set out for yourself looks pretty good the way it is. I'd take it easy the last week or so before you go; just take a couple of low intensity rides (don't break a sweat) and a few days of rest before departure.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
wilddavid

Post by wilddavid »

I would say that your schedule looks ok. I did LEJOG last July (930 miles over 12 days). I trained for 4 months and managed the ride without any problems. I would recommend that you do 3 or 4 back to back days at some stage covering similar mileage to what you will be doing on a daily basis.

Everyone is different. Some people have posted on this forum stating that they did little in the way of training mileage, where others do high mileage before their LEJOG. What is important is that you are also mentally prepared as well as physically. Doing the back to back days of higher mileage during my training gave me some peace of mind and confidence that my body was ready. Like lots of others have said you will also get fitter as you cycle day to day during your ride. Good luck.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've done about 85 tours and Lejog three times.
You're doing plenty miles. In my experience, you don't need to train hard. Long easy training makes you very very fit. It's counterintuitive.
There are people who recommend doing a mini-tour with your kit beforehand.
All I can say is that I've never done that. You'll get used to the bike and the load in 20 mins.
Don't carry too much stuff. You must have sunscreen, vaseline or similar to prevent sores, at least one bottle, a chaintool, multitool, tubes and maybe a spare tyre. I've needed a chaintool about 3 or four times, a spare tyre maybe 3 times and spare spokes several times.
Get your saddle height right. This is the most-used and best way.
Sitting square on the saddle, your bare heel, parallel to the ground should be about 5mm shy of the fully down pedal. To do this, get it touching and then raise the saddle the 5mm.
Douggie954

Post by Douggie954 »

I did LEJoG last year with my brother at the end of July although we did a few more miles overall. I had a training plan like yours but by the end of May it had gone out of the window due to work. We did it unsupported and we both found it tough physically but the hardest bit is the mental toughness. You just have to keep going. We booked our accommodation in advance so we had to do the daily mileage and I think that really helped.
The best thing I did before going was having a bike fit in the middle of May so had time to get used to the new riding position. I had no aches or pains at all from siting on the bike. The longest training ride we did was 70 miles, only once, carrying some weight. Our longest ride on the tour was 87 miles. If you stick to your training regime you will have no problems. We found it hard physically because we started off not as fit as we should be, we also took the scenic route finding lots of hills.
Good luck.
mattfen

Post by mattfen »

Let me throw this training spanner into the works.

****warning - every human being is different *****

A 12 to 14 day LEJOG needs very little training if approached in the right frame of mind. Start easy - 60 ish miles for first few days and a mantra in the head of "I will not walk" will see you through and will see you ride yourself fit. I went into my LEJOG as an unfit mid 40's guy who knew his tent / bike / kit would work and hoped his legs / head / lungs would tow the line. I did it in a leisurely 12 days which started with some 60 to 70 mile days. Yes I was low at a few points, but all this talk of tapering and long training rides ....... well you need to have the mental strength more than the physical. I wish you all the luck and tailwinds in the land. Before I left I spent more time reading forums than peddling and 3 nights before I left I read a blog about a guy who did LEJOG as an unfit fatso with a heavy bike but a positive frame of mind and I was inspired. You can do it with training and tapering and shaving your legs for aerodynamics for sure but I can confirm that you can thoroughly enjoy it with a VERY little training, a few pints every night and a positive mental attitude just as much.

Drop the stressing, enjoy the ride.
tbessie

Post by tbessie »

I'd agree with mattfen. My first big ride (besides organized centuries) was a San Francisco to Washington, DC fundraiser when I was 32, averaged 65 miles per day, max 110 mile day. I did that when I was 32 and had done a bit of riding, but wasn't super-fit by a long shot. After 2 weeks, my body jumped into shape and it was no problem, and I was faster than the 20-year-olds on the ride.

I'm about to be 52 now.

The 2 1-week rides I did in France in the last 3 years (40-70 mile days), I hadn't done much cycling beforehand, and it was pretty easy.

The 2-week, 780 mile ride from the top of Oregon back to San Francisco I did last year, also, not a lot of pre-training (did a few long rides near home, but not a lot more besides my commuting rides), and it was no biggie.

I'm planning a 3-week LEJOG in May/June, and I'm not worried about the distance. You just get on the bike, go as far as you can, and stop when you want to or if you feel you just can't go any further. Then start again the next day. Eventually, you get to your goal.

Cycling's amazing that way; it's pretty easy on the body. Now, if I were going to try to RUN LEJOG, I don't think I'd have a lot of confidence. But cycling? Pfff!

I'm sure it'll be the same for you. :-)

- Tim
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The reason to train is as much giving yourself the confidence that it can be done, even on a day when it is micturating down with rain and you didn't sleep very well, or whatever else is eroding your confidence.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

tbessie wrote:I), .

I'm planning a 3-week LEJOG in May/June, and I'm not worried about the distance. You just get on the bike, go as far as you can, and stop when you want to or if you feel you just can't go any further

Cycling's amazing that way; it's pretty easy on the body. Now, if I were going to try to RUN LEJOG, I don't think I'd have a lot of confidence. But cycling? Pfff!

- Tim

Funny you should mention running
There and back!!!!
Looking for cyclists to help as well.
https://fiercemindevents.wordpress.com/the-route/
https://fiercemindevents.wordpress.com/the-route/
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I'm not qualified to comment on your training plan, but as this is the Internet, I'll give my opinion anyway :-)

When I trained, I had one week where I did 5 days in a row of long 100K rides. This taught me a lot = the first day I had ridden at my usual effort = too hard to sustain day after day. By the end of the week I'd found my natural touring pace.

Also, I'd say the main thing is just to get out and ride when you can, even if they're shorter rides. It's all miles. On my CTC LEJOG we had nice sociable tea and lunch stops so it wasn't really 70 mile daily rides, more like a series of 20-25 miles rides each day.

PS Good luck and enjoy it.
PH

Post by PH »

Have I missed it or do you not say when you're going?
There's an excellent book "The long Distance Cycling Handbook" packed with everything you could want to know about just that, including several training plans.
Also - you don't say what it is you're training for? Well we know the ride, but it can be done is several different ways, support has already been mentioned, but are you in a group you have to keep up with? Or do you have your own goals, or just happy to enjoy the scenery?
Fitness wise, you could probably set off tomorrow and be fine, the fitter you are the easier it will be, but you don't need to be a super athlete to do that sort of mileage. What you do need is to be super comfortable on the bike, and the only way to be sure of that is to put the time in. I'd want to have ridden three consecutive days at that mileage a couple of months before. I'd want every piece of equipment (Particularly shorts and gloves) to be well tried and tested, so I wouldn't want to make any changes in the couple of months before. I'd also want to have ridden somewhere hilly on a few long rides, the first couple of days are the hilliest on LEJOG. We're all different but it takes me a couple of days to get my touring legs, I'd like to ease into it, probably no more than 50-60 miles a day for the first couple. Depending on the route there'll be days in the Midlands and Scottish Lowlands where it'll be easy to make up that mileage difference. What you need to avoid is getting to Bristol knackered and disheartened! get there feeling reasonably fresh and you've cracked it.
Enjoy it.