Roberts Audax second hand prices

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Daipink

Roberts Audax second hand prices

Post by Daipink »

I have a Roberts Audax frame which I'm thinking of selling. Can someone give me an idea of reasonable asking prices?

It's got threaded 1" forks, deep drop brake clearance and mudguard and rack eyelets. Paint has flaked off or been scratched on eyelets, edge of bottom bracket shell and both chainstays but main tubes are in good condition. It has a level top tube about 55cm in length and is metallic blue with a silver headtube. Tube material is not marked so I don't know what tubing its made from and I think it dates from 2001.

Photos are on Flickr at https://flic.kr/s/aHskgRk56J

I'm in two minds about selling it but need to replace the gears on my racing bike which means upgrading from 10 to 11 speed Campagnolo so is a bit pricey!

All advice greatly received.
tatanab

Re: Roberts Audax second hand prices

Post by tatanab »

It is very similar to mine which was built in 2003 and I bought it second hand in 2006. Paint was tatty but not as old as yours. I bought it on eBay for £170 because I wanted to replace my old touring frame - the right customer at the right time. Given yours is a bit tatty and is 15 years old now I would think you'd be looking at £100 maybe plus a bit because it is a Roberts. I was unable to sell a similar frame (not Roberts) at £70 in a bike jumble. So you should get enough to buy a Campag part or two but not much.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

It probably cost in the region of £600 - £800 frame set only back in 2001, however, any prospective buyer would need to factor in the cost of total refurbishment on this frame, which IME lowers the value of the frame from the £300 region to about only £100, of course that is just arbitrary and you have to find a buyer at whatever cost. I bought a NOS early 90's MasterPro in 2009 for about £500 and was very pleased with it. There was a Roberts Audax with S&S couplings fully refurbished on eBay recently for £990, which was very nice, but unlikely to ever sell even if it did cost the owner £1500 new. Not knowing exactly the frame material specification is also likely to deter enthusiasts.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Not knowing the tube spec would not bother me because Roberts mixed tubesets to get the properties they wanted. I'd just accept that the tubes were the best that Roberts could get for the job. But my feeling is that second hand bikes fetch so little money that the only reasons to sell them are to free up garage space or to get a little money in a desperate situation. I'd hang on to it and use it as a fixie or something.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

pwa wrote:... I'd hang on to it and use it as a fixie or something.

it has VDOs, so it would have to be a 'something' with a chain tensioner of some kind in all likelihood.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Daipink

Post by Daipink »

Ok I just Googled Roberts Audax out of interest and this thread I started came up so I thought I may as well post an update. I decided to keep the frame and have it powder coated locally in Caerphilly. It's got a very vibrant May Green powder coat on it (in honour of my wife May!) and is waiting for me (or her!) to fit stickers so it can be sent back for a coat of lacquer. Should cost in the region of £130 including stickers by the time its finished.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll post pictures when its finished plus details of the powder coaters and sticker providers. Was comforted that the local powder coaters couldn't do it until "the bloke that does bikes comes back from holiday". They told me they will also carefully clean out all the threads before they give it back to me.

Happy pedalling
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I think you made an excellent decision there. Enjoy the bicycle when you get it built up.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Daipink wrote:Ok I just Googled Roberts Audax out of interest and this thread I started came up so I thought I may as well post an update. I decided to keep the frame and have it powder coated locally in Caerphilly. It's got a very vibrant May Green powder coat on it (in honour of my wife May!) and is waiting for me (or her!) to fit stickers so it can be sent back for a coat of lacquer. Should cost in the region of £130 including stickers by the time its finished.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll post pictures when its finished plus details of the powder coaters and sticker providers. Was comforted that the local powder coaters couldn't do it until "the bloke that does bikes comes back from holiday". They told me they will also carefully clean out all the threads before they give it back to me.

Happy pedalling

Glad to read you ended up keeping it as for some made reason I too sold a very nice Roberts frame set and even though I later had a Tourer made by them I still regret selling the Audux frame.
Daipink

Post by Daipink »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kcpe8GQHXYrvP3VJA

And here it is! Fitted an alloy compact Ultratorque chainset since I took this. It's got Veloce 10 speed ergos and front mech, a Record rear mech and RX100 deep drop brakes.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Nice.