Can we can just ignore it?

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Whimwham7

Can we can just ignore it?

Post by Whimwham7 »

I have just received the latest “CTC Club Shorts” missive from CTC Towers, in which Julie Rand (who I understand to be a figure of some authority) has written -

All Member Group Secretaries and Publicity Officers have now been sent a set of materials so they can, if they choose, rebrand under our new name of ‘Cycling UK’, which will be officially launched next Tuesday 5 April. (my emphasis to her words)

My reading of this is that whether or not to adopt the re-branding is now a matter of choice. The obvious corollary is that those who do not wish to rebrand, simply do not have to.

I can continue to call myself a member of the Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC). I can also continue to wear my Club jersey and jacket adorned with the winged wheel and wobbly bike logos and the large “CTC” emblazoned across the back. Furthermore, I can simply IGNORE the Gnomes of Guildford and their diktats telling me that I am now “part of Cycling UK”.

Or, am I missing something?
Psamathe

Re: So we can just ignore it?

Post by Psamathe »

Whimwham7 wrote:I have just received the latest “CTC Club Shorts” missive from CTC Towers, in which Julie Rand (who I understand to be a figure of some authority) has written -

All Member Group Secretaries and Publicity Officers have now been sent a set of materials so they can, if they choose, rebrand under our new name of ‘Cycling UK’, which will be officially launched next Tuesday 5 April. (my emphasis to her words)

My reading of this is that whether or not to adopt the re-branding is now a matter of choice. The obvious corollary is that those who do not wish to rebrand, simply do not have to.

So, I can continue to call myself a member of the Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC). I can also continue to wear my Club jersey and jacket adorned with the winged wheel and wobbly bike logos and the large “CTC” emblazoned across the back. Furthermore, I can simply IGNORE the Gnomes of Guildford and their diktats telling me that I am now “part of Cycling UK”.

I understood that the entire rebrand was now subject to a poll of the membership. It would seem highly irresponsible for the organisation to go ahead and launch the rebrand when the membership could vote against it.

If they really are going ahead then I guess they are just forcing the issue through so the vote will become "We've done it (whilst waiting for you to vote and ignoring the required poll), we will look very silly if you vote against our decision, it will cost us lots, so vote against and destroy the organisation ... so no pressure about which way you vote".

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

Whimwham7 wrote:... Or, am I missing something?

This isn't news. You've missed the Chair's statement from 19 February. There was also a similar statement in the Brand Kit.

What does this mean for Member Groups?

CTC Member Groups will not need to change their names, their jerseys or other aspects of their branding unless they want to.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
gaz

Post by gaz »

Whimwham7 wrote:I have just received the latest “CTC Club Shorts” missive from CTC Towers,

You also seem to be missing the fact that you can opt out of such mailings, you don't need to receive anything you consider to be a "missive".
Mailing Suppresion.png
PH

Post by PH »

The introduction to the new brand sent out to MGs says
"Whichever option your group chooses, either to adopt the new name in full or to keep your existing name but reference your connection to Cycling UK, we are here to support you fully and intend to invest our energy into helping your Member Group thrive."
So it seems they are expecting groups that don't change their name to add - part of Cycling UK - to the end of it.

So, I can continue to call myself a member of the Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC). I can also continue to wear my Club jersey and jacket adorned with the winged wheel and wobbly bike logos and the large “CTC” emblazoned across the back.

Not just say you're a member of the Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC), that's what you are a member of and no one is intending to ban your jersey!
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

PH wrote:So it seems they are expecting groups that don't change their name to add - part of Cycling UK - to the end of it.

I thought that the branding paperwork was pretty clear about this:

"If you don’t feel you can adopt our new name at this time, please consider adopting the line: ‘Part of Cycling UK’ as part of your group descriptor. For example CTC Reading, part of Cycling UK. Thank you."

Clearly a request rather than an 'expectation' or any form of demand or order.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I believe PH has quoted accurately from the e-mail sent to MG secretaries introducing the Brand Kit and Social Media Kit. So whilst using "... part of Cycling UK" is not compulsory it is clearly being strongly encouraged.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

It might be thought of as part of that "UK Cycling Center" thing (which I have to say has a few bargains from time to time).

This place will always be CTC to me... why? Because its short and memorable and call me old fashioned but I never like changes. I am still recovering from British Telecom changing their 1991-2003 logo that was a red snake with a man blowing a trumpet, to their 2003-present logo which I have to say is just more globe propaganda lol, worse than a snake.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

Manc33 wrote:It might be thought of as part of that "UK Cycling Center" thing (which I have to say has a few bargains from time to time).

This place will always be CTC to me... why? Because its short and memorable and call me old fashioned but I never like changes. I am still recovering from British Telecom changing their 1991-2003 logo that was a red snake with a man blowing a trumpet, to their 2003-present logo which I have to say is just more globe propaganda lol, worse than a snake.

You mean the GPO? :wink:
robgul

Post by robgul »

Labrat wrote:
Manc33 wrote:It might be thought of as part of that "UK Cycling Center" thing (which I have to say has a few bargains from time to time).

You mean the GPO? :wink:

... you really mean Post Office Telephones with the olive green vans that had ladders on the top ... and whatever happened to Buzby?

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F was a GPO Telephonist in her younger days. Worked at Liverpool, Southport and Blackpool telephone exchanges, and then after we married, was transferred to Cosham (Portsmouth) exchange.

She was on the emergency boards from time to time, and also recorded the weather forecasts.
Mick F. Cornwall
geocycle

Re: Can we can just ignore it?

Post by geocycle »

From cycle clips:

'Watch out for a brand new look for CycleClips next week with CTC officially becoming Cycling UK from next Tuesday 5 April.'
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Whimwham7 wrote:I have just received the latest “CTC Club Shorts” missive from CTC Towers, in which Julie Rand (who I understand to be a figure of some authority) has written -

I can continue to call myself a member of the Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC). I can also continue to wear my Club jersey and jacket adorned with the winged wheel and wobbly bike logos and the large “CTC” emblazoned across the back. Furthermore, I can simply IGNORE the Gnomes of Guildford and their diktats telling me that I am now “part of Cycling UK”.

You can wear whatever you like! Unless you're racing in it, of course.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

"Cycling UK" is overly generic.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Ray

Post by Ray »

geocycle wrote:From cycle clips:

'Watch out for a brand new look for CycleClips next week with CTC officially becoming Cycling UK from next Tuesday 5 April.'

Yep, that arrived in my inbox today. Bearing in mind today's date, I'm going to assume it's a rather poor joke, and ignore it.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell