Barbed Wire Trap set on trail in Kent

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
AJ101

Barbed Wire Trap set on trail in Kent

Post by AJ101 »

be careful out there, especially if you're around Maidstone and dropping down to the Pilgrims Way off road. There's some sick people around
http://bikesy.co.uk/features/knowledge/ ... t-in-kent/
reohn2

Re: Barbed Wire Trap set on trail in Kent

Post by reohn2 »

I've only just noticed this post.
The sickness and depravity of elements of the UK populous never fail surprise and anger me in equal measure,it is truly disturbing :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 15 Mar 2016, 3:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Anglers did something similar on the river Lune near Lancaster using fishing line across the river with hooks dangling from it at head height. That was on a stretch the local riparian rights owners had agreed access for the John o'Gaunt rowing club and the university rowing club. A lass from the uni club got a badly cut up around or actually on the face. The local sports club (fishing club plus other sports like drinking in the clubhouse) who own the rights knew the culprits and the boss of the coppers increasing was a member of the club apparently. Got all this from a member of the club. Seems the guys who did it were joking about it among other club members in the clubhouse clubhouse bar just before the lass got injured. Senior copper said no further action was being taken.

If the culprits ever get found out I bet nothing will come of it. Landowners and fishing right owners are protected by the police not out groups like cyclists, rowers and canoeists.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Things like this just don't really bear thinking about regarding the possible consequences.

I wonder if it's just a prank to some without them really thinking about what the end result could be? Or are they really intent on serious injury being caused?

I have a relative who rides a lot of MTB in Germany, he says his local forests see this sort of problem a lot where some walkers don't think anyone on a bike should be in their woods. The riders are on a social media group to warn of such dangers and check it before rides. A sad state.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Taken to it's logical conclusion it is terrorism
W H Auden
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

reohn2 wrote:Taken to it's logical conclusion it is terrorism

It's then use of unlawful force to achieve a political objective? How does that work?

Depending on the motive it's anything from being a pecker through to attempted murder, but I can't quite see the link with terrorism.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Taken to it's logical conclusion it is terrorism

It's then use of unlawful force to achieve a political objective? How does that work?

Depending on the motive it's anything from being a pecker through to attempted murder, but I can't quite see the link with terrorism.

It's an attempt at maiming or murder which is terrorising other users of the path.
Whether that's for political reasons or out of sheer madness is anyone's guess,I dare say those that did it weren't available for comment or prepared to issue a press release :?
W H Auden
Lance Dopestrong

Simply instilling terror in someone is not terrorism.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Simply instilling terror in someone is not terrorism.

Instilling terror,terrorising is terrorism.
If you want to argue over the reasons and academic meaning of the word terrorism,play away.
I won't give you an argument,but I'll still say stringing barbed wire across a trail is an attempt at terrorising others which amounts to terrorism in my book.
YVMV.
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I don't know how you can rule it out as terrorism so definitely. There are 109 definitions of terrorism from national and international organizations. Different parts of the UN can't even agree a definition.

Looking into it there are a number of sources of definitions that allow for terrorism too include actions that put the public or sections of the public in a state of fear. Even the 2000 terrorism act has something similar in a subsection. If you're riding a trail, at an enjoyable speed, with the knowledge of past incidents of barbed wire across the trail I'm sure that has some effect on you and I'm sure if you encountered it you'd get hurt. That very incident would create fear among the cyclists that use that trail.

Personally I think it is a very fine line in deciding whether it is terrorism. Personal opinion perhaps. You cannot just rule it out based on your personal definition or a basic, general definition that is more political than honest IMHO. Definitions of terrorism is a highly political thing in modern world. The term is highly emotive and has accordingly been exploited for political or ideological gain by governments. The whole idea it must be political at its core is a political construct that benefits the state.

Ho hum! All I can say is you'll never get me using a trail known to have anonymous actors carrying out planned traps aimed at fellow humans. Despicable acts and to be condemned no matter what term you use.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Tangled Metal wrote:Anglers did something similar on the river Lune near Lancaster using fishing line across the river with hooks dangling from it at head height. That was on a stretch the local riparian rights owners had agreed access for the John o'Gaunt rowing club and the university rowing club. A lass from the uni club got a badly cut up around or actually on the face. The local sports club (fishing club plus other sports like drinking in the clubhouse) who own the rights knew the culprits and the boss of the coppers increasing was a member of the club apparently. Got all this from a member of the club. Seems the guys who did it were joking about it among other club members in the clubhouse clubhouse bar just before the lass got injured. Senior copper said no further action was being taken.

If the culprits ever get found out I bet nothing will come of it. Landowners and fishing right owners are protected by the police not out groups like cyclists, rowers and canoeists.

...and as a counterpoint to your final para, which is an inference too far IMHO, I also fish and have seen very similar views expressed equally earnestly by anglers in terms of their lack of protection by the police. Everyone's convinced that their rights are insufficiently respected :)
Lance Dopestrong

It's no more terrorism than drinking cider in the sewers is suicide.

As a user group we often have a hard enough time being taken seriously, and making ridiculous claims does nothing to make an ambivalent society pay us any more attention. It's a stupid, dangerous criminal act, nothing more, and that's bad enough without seeking to put it on the same legal footing as the activities of ISIS.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:It's no more terrorism than drinking cider in the sewers is suicide.

As a user group we often have a hard enough time being taken seriously, and making ridiculous claims does nothing to make an ambivalent society pay us any more attention. It's a stupid, dangerous criminal act, nothing more, and that's bad enough without seeking to put it on the same legal footing as the activities of ISIS.

Who said anything about ISIS?
It's an act trying to frighten(terrorise?) people,in this case cyclists,and possible horse riders and motorcyclists from using that path/road/track.
That in my book is terrorism.

Terrorism takes many forms from spouses terrorising their partner to mass murder,but whatever it's form or the number of people the perpetrator(s) seek to terrorise,it's still terrorism.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:As a user group we often have a hard enough time being taken seriously, and making ridiculous claims does nothing to make an ambivalent society pay us any more attention. It's a stupid, dangerous criminal act, nothing more, and that's bad enough without seeking to put it on the same legal footing as the activities of ISIS.

This.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:As a user group we often have a hard enough time being taken seriously, and making ridiculous claims does nothing to make an ambivalent society pay us any more attention. It's a stupid, dangerous criminal act, nothing more, and that's bad enough without seeking to put it on the same legal footing as the activities of ISIS.

This.

I didn't address that point.
we're on a cycling forum,and TBH I thought I was safe to mention the 'T' word,in the same way if cyclists are being frightened off the road by motorists dangerous driving attitude toward them,it's an act of terrorism.
It seems that unless you seek to murder X hundred people by bomb,gun or poison you not terrorising anyone! :?
W H Auden