New website live

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
honesty

New website live

Post by honesty »

The new C.UK website is now live. If you go to ctc.org.uk you will be redirected cyclinguk.org - have to say the new website looks a hell of a lot nicer than the old one, even if I dont like the new name. The design of the logo makes a lot more sense in the design now than it did as a stand alone piece as well.
geocycle

Re: New website live

Post by geocycle »

honesty wrote:The new C.UK website is now live. If you go to ctc.org.uk you will be redirected cyclinguk.org - have to say the new website looks a hell of a lot nicer than the old one, even if I dont like the new name. The design of the logo makes a lot more sense in the design now than it did as a stand alone piece as well.

Yes the website looks better. But I still think the logo is shocking. The text just does not scale well with too great a difference in font size between the cyclists' champion and the rest of the text. This is especially apparent in the email I just got from PT.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Doesn't fit on my screen. Nice to see a front page link to the forum. Front page is a bit graphics-heavy which makes it slow to load. Other than that, it's good they've kept most of the same page addresses so links will still work and it shouldn't fall down the search engines much.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Is it my eyes but most of the photographs are out of focus?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The web site is an improvement and navigation appears easy. So easy I found the "donate" page. Was it there before?
Because I wouldn't donate to any if these causes shown I find it hard to understand that anyone would. e.g. Why would anyone give £50 to introduce an old person into the joys of cycling. If I knew someone like that I'd lend them a bike and take them out but I wouldn't give anyone £50 to do it for me.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
tbessie

Post by tbessie »

I can't say I like the website change. There's a huge movement afoot (has been for some years) to make ALL websites "mobile-friendly".

What usually happens is, phone and tablet versions are created (with "adaptive design"), but a desktop/laptop version is never created after that; which is a shame, in my opinion, because when I am on a full-sized computer, I want to see a LOT of information on the screen at once, and not big brightly-colored blocks that were designed to be easy to navigate with fingers.

It seems similar to the way it'd be if, say, the art world decided that all we needed was finger-painting, and that museums - getting into this new craze - only displayed art that was finger-painted.

This is the way the design world is going, but it completely ignores those of us who still do most of their web-browsing on a big monitor with a keyboard.

That said, I *am* happy you retained the dropdown menus at the top of the page. Most websites are getting rid of those, too, as not being "mobile-friendly".

- Tim
gaz

Post by gaz »

Paulatic wrote:The web site is an improvement and navigation appears easy. So easy I found the "donate" page. Was it there before? ...

Yes, it's been there for quite a while and was similarly linked from the home page.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Given that they've been preparing for this for a while they could have changed the wording of many of the articles linked from the front page containing the former brand name.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Philip Benstead wrote:Is it my eyes but most of the photographs are out of focus?
It must be my eyes as well.

I think the new website looks childish.
Mick F. Cornwall
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I'll probably never use the website. I never used the main CTC site, just this forum.

As the ex-CTC is now a charity I expect the new site will be overflowing with words like inclusivity, diversity, community and all the other buzzwords needed to ensure that applications for government cash get a good hearing.
mjr

Post by mjr »

And the forum has changed domain name and consequently thrown out all logged-in users - another way that the rebrand is wasting cyclists' time! ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mjr wrote:And the forum has changed domain name and consequently thrown out all logged-in users - another way that the rebrand is wasting cyclists' time! ;-)

Actually, it's losing logins every visit. No-one has told the forum software to set cookies on the new domain instead of the old one, so it sets them on forum.ctc.org.uk and the browser never sends those cookies to forum.cyclinguk.org so you're not logged in any more.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Forum has indeed changed its hostname, and that did mean that people who were logged in at the time were logged out. Not much we could have done about that.

The forum now saves cookies for the new hostname.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Awful site. I hate it with a passion! I hope the organization fails miserably because of that site!

Sorry but it's not mobile friendly! It's got those awful drop down menus that you have a couple of seconds to read and select the option you want before it disappears or you get sent to another page! It makes them unusable! If you have to get very lucky with where you place your fat thumbs on your mobile screen to get anywhere on the site then it doesn't work!

I have no idea if it's my browser the os or whatever! It doesn't work. It doesn't make you want to go back. I'm sorry but unless you have a laptop or desktop it is not useable. My only way of navigating is now to make that section of the screen large enough to be able to click on the menu link and keep trying. Sooner or later I'll get lucky and touch the right part of my phone screen to find the upcoming events page. I'm on an LG g2 running the latest android version to come out for it. 5.2" screen that's perfectly good for almost all the sites I visit. Just as well because until recently I had no pc or laptop just a phone and 7" tablet that's as good as died now.

Now someone said it didn't work for desktops. I say it doesn't work for phones and tablets. Just what viewing means does that design work for? Seriously do these web developers actually try their web designs out?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Got to admit it works well on an IPad. I've discovered parts of the site I never knew existed. Not going to re join because of it though.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info