English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
DaveReading

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Post by DaveReading »

kylecycler wrote: 3 Mar 2022, 11:23pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 3 Mar 2022, 8:10pm I used to enjoy the sound of smashing glass as the bottles went in (whereas with the current system, if the bottles smash, they won't be collected).
Cathartic. :D
Well certainly therapeutic. Cathartic, possibly not. :wink:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Mar 2022, 5:00pm There are different styles of English. And good usage differs between them.
's funny; I used to find these sentence fragments - usually starting with awkward words like "and" - grating.
But at some point I started using them myself. It's a plague!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

R4 Today programme.

"Let's get some sport."

Get?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 6:07pm Radio Four news ...........

"Morning"
"Afternoon"
"Let's get some weather"

Instead?

Good morning.
Good afternoon.
Here is the weather forecast.

Simple.
Mick F wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 8:02am R4 Today programme.

"Let's get some sport."

Get?
Why does it annoy you?

Thanks

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'll put this here to avoid derailing another thread which seems to have hit the buffers.

viewtopic.php?p=1679340#p1679340

There's in link in there to a pdf file where the word "landscape" is used thirty times. FWIW, it's not a biography of Capability Brown by Alan Titchmarsh but a review of policing. I've had a go at reading it - which is how I discovered the horticulture - but it needs editing by a successor of Ernest Gowers if it's not to do my head in.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Give us a few example sentences and show us what word you'd use instead of landscape, or how you'd rewrite them to avoid using the word. I'm curious about this.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 8:19pm Give us a few example sentences and show us what word you'd use instead of landscape, or how you'd rewrite them to avoid using the word. I'm curious about this.
Always a helpful exercise when discussing usage.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 8:36amThere's in link in there to a pdf file where the word "landscape" is used thirty times. FWIW, it's not a biography of Capability Brown by Alan Titchmarsh but a review of policing. I've had a go at reading it - which is how I discovered the horticulture - but it needs editing by a successor of Ernest Gowers if it's not to do my head in.
Fascinating word, both in its etymology (the meaning of -scape) and in how it's redeployed as technology changes (... painting, photography, paper, 'phones... )

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

"Landscape" may have its place but its repeated use figuratively is a turn off for me and not in the sense of a detour.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Dr Sewell, who is an alumni (sic) of the university, said he had a "real PhD" from there and other honorary degrees so was "not interested in being a victim".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-60758038

It looks as though Sandish Shoker may be an ignorami
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It reads to me as if the "real PhD" is in addition to the honorary award. As for "an alumni" it is a "shoker" but I suppose it's the beginning of the process undergone by data and media.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 11:23am Dr Sewell, who is an alumni (sic) of the university, said he had a "real PhD" from there and other honorary degrees so was "not interested in being a victim".

There's never been a consensus as to whether the plural of Lotus, as in Lotus cars - like back in 1978 when Mario Andretti and Ronnie Peterson were running 1-2 in a Grand Prix, as they frequently did that year - is Lotuses or Loti (then again, the plural of consensus is definitely consensuses!). :)

As for errors like Sandish Shoker's, you can kinda sorta lay a little of the blame on the over-reliance on automatic spell-checking, meaning, if you don't see the red squiggly line under a word then it must be ok except it isn't always. But I know that would be a bit of a lame excuse.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

There would be no red squiggly line under 'alumni' because it's a correct word, although it's not the correct word.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kylecycler wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 1:00pmThere's never been a consensus as to whether the plural of Lotus, as in Lotus cars - like back in 1978 when Mario Andretti and Ronnie Peterson were running 1-2 in a Grand Prix, as they frequently did that year - is Lotuses or Loti (then again, the plural of consensus is definitely consensuses!).
There was a statement from the factory... the plural is Lotus.

But the origin of the name remains in dispute...

Jonathan

Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

kylecycler wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 1:00pm
thirdcrank wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 11:23am Dr Sewell, who is an alumni (sic) of the university, said he had a "real PhD" from there and other honorary degrees so was "not interested in being a victim".

There's never been a consensus as to whether the plural of Lotus, as in Lotus cars - like back in 1978 when Mario Andretti and Ronnie Peterson were running 1-2 in a Grand Prix, as they frequently did that year - is Lotuses or Loti (then again, the plural of consensus is definitely consensuses!). :)

As for errors like Sandish Shoker's, you can kinda sorta lay a little of the blame on the over-reliance on automatic spell-checking, meaning, if you don't see the red squiggly line under a word then it must be ok except it isn't always. But I know that would be a bit of a lame excuse.
The difference is, if I heard Murry Walker coming out with loti I'd know it was a joke. 'Sandwich' not so sure.
I am here. Where are you?