English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Mike Sales

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Post by Mike Sales »

The increasing confusion between "uninterested" and "disinterested" is irritating.
It is robbing us of a useful word, which is often the case with these solecisms.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 3 Jun 2022, 4:15pm The increasing confusion between "uninterested" and "disinterested" is irritating.
It is robbing us of a useful word, which is often the case with these solecisms.
The historical overlap goes further back than often thought, but I agree... the distinction is useful.

Jonathan
Purpan

Post by Purpan »

DaveReading wrote: 3 Jun 2022, 7:46am
Mick F wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 10:05pmToo many people these days using The and A when they mean the and a.
Somebody should write an article on it.
Definitely.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Purpan wrote: 3 Jun 2022, 5:44pm
DaveReading wrote: 3 Jun 2022, 7:46am
Mick F wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 10:05pmToo many people these days using The and A when they mean the and a.
Somebody should write an article on it.
Definitely.
; - )

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Why are so many folk gifted an object instead of plain-old-fashioned given?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 1:42pm Why are so many folk gifted an object instead of plain-old-fashioned given?
I'd guess that's because it sounds as if it might be posher or more formal. Would that fit with what you've heard, especially around context?

This isn't a hypercorrection but the reason might be similar to some of those, for example myself in public speaking where I would be more usual.

Thanks

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My current Fowler says that "folk" as an ordinary word for people in general is tending to fall out of use in British English, except in northern England and Scotland, where it is standard. If that was so in 2015 when that was published, it no longer seems the case. I seem to see more of it than ever.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

simonineaston wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 1:42pm Why are so many folk gifted an object instead of plain-old-fashioned given?
Because our beautiful language has many words with similar meanings, but subtle differences?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: 2 Mar 2022, 2:59pm Latest (pedantic) thing that does my head in ....................

CAUTION SITE ENTRANCE ............. and then further along .................. CAUTION LORRIES TURNING

What is a caution site?
Furthermore, what are caution lorries?
I saw a van the other day with caution horses in it.

So ............ we have a caution site, we have caution lorries, and we have caution horses too. I am reliably informed that we have caution children as well.
Mick F. Cornwall
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

simonineaston wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 1:42pmWhy are so many folk gifted an object instead of plain-old-fashioned given?
When you give the bus driver your fare, is that a gift ?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

According to Fowler "gift" as a verb has 500 years history ie it's not some recent creation
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 10:16pm
Mick F wrote: 2 Mar 2022, 2:59pm Latest (pedantic) thing that does my head in ....................

CAUTION SITE ENTRANCE ............. and then further along .................. CAUTION LORRIES TURNING

What is a caution site?
Furthermore, what are caution lorries?
I saw a van the other day with caution horses in it.

So ............ we have a caution site, we have caution lorries, and we have caution horses too. I am reliably informed that we have caution children as well.
This is discussed upthread. There's no reason why warning signs should contain sentences or be written as if they were essays.

Do those signs cause any misunderstanding?

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

DaveReading wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 10:36pm
simonineaston wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 1:42pmWhy are so many folk gifted an object instead of plain-old-fashioned given?
When you give the bus driver your fare, is that a gift ?
Thankyou for illustrating how language evolves in practice.

More recent examples of gifted/given, please.

Thanks

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I don't have a specific example to hand but something that is gifted need not be deliberately given. A frequent usage would be along the lines of:
Fulchester Rovers were gifted a goal when Uptown City's central defender failed to clear the pass and, with the goalkeeper off his line... etc.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 9 Jun 2022, 11:30am I don't have a specific example to hand but something that is gifted need not be deliberately given. A frequent usage would be along the lines of:
Fulchester Rovers were gifted a goal when Uptown City's central defender failed to clear the pass and, with the goalkeeper off his line... etc.
Good example. Thanks.

Their action turned something that wouldn't normally be described as given into something that was gifted or a gift.

Jonathan