English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Jdsk

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Post by Jdsk »

sjs wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 1:40pm...
"Least worst" nearly always just means "least bad".
Thanks again for that observation.

Both mean "best of available options", a relative ranking, but also that it's poor on an absolute scale, as otherwise you'd just use "best".

So I've been asking people which suggests being lower on that absolute scale. I can't detect any consensus.

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

That said, in the torrid circumstances created by the falls of Johnson and Truss, Sunak is definitely the least-worse choice available.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e-minister

It is the Grauniad so it might just be a typo – except I've definitely seen and certainly heard this option elsewhere. It might even be a form of hypercorrection; the worse, not the worst, of two options (in this case Sunak or Truss).
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Anyone for best bad, or doesn't it sound badder enough?

For me, you can't legitimately use worse without than since it's a comparative, so least worse is senseless. Similarly, worst is an absolute and therefore not susceptible to qualification.

As to least-worse cropping up in the Graun, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a typo but equally I wouldn't be surprised were it not.

Now then, how about a learned discussion of were and was wrt conditionals and subjunctives?

Or maybe we could just kick now then about for a bit and teach it a lesson.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Worse is a comparative and therefore should, if we follow the rules of what people call "prescriptive grammar", be used in cases where only two things are being considered. It doesn't require than. "Measles and chicken pox are both bad, but measles is worse." In practice, very few people use it that way.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 12:28pm Worse is a comparative and therefore should, if we follow the rules of what people call "prescriptive grammar", be used in cases where only two things are being considered. It doesn't require than. "Measles and chicken pox are both bad, but measles is worse." In practice, very few people use it that way.
True. A perfect example of L's Conjecture, i.e. that he who pontificates about grammar will inevitably make a grammatical mistake in his next post. Which I done.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 12:28pm Worse is a comparative and therefore should, if we follow the rules of what people call "prescriptive grammar", be used in cases where only two things are being considered. It doesn't require than. "Measles and chicken pox are both bad, but measles is worse." In practice, very few people use it that way.
" Measles is worser than chicken pox " or should that be " measles are worser than chicken pox "
I am here. Where are you?
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Measles, chicken pox, mumps and whooping cough are all bad, but measles is worse than the others
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Talking of "worse than others" and English language ................. and Radio 4 Today programme ......................

Amol Rajan talks way too fast, and says A when he means a , and stresses his words and sentences totally wrongly. He speaks as if he's reading a list. Main problem is that he talks way too quickly.

Shut up! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

DaveReading wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 3:36pm Measles, chicken pox, mumps and whooping cough are all bad, but measles is worse than the others
There's a word that was made to confuse!
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

DaveReading wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 3:36pm Measles, chicken pox, mumps and whooping cough are all bad, but measles is worse than the others
Measles, chicken pox, mumps and whooping cough are all worse than a cold.
Which one is least worse?
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

"Cruise Missile", it sounds so inocuous!
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 6:09pm
There's a word that was made to confuse!
When I was a lad it was always pronounced 'Hooping cough'!
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

"Variety of different". No, just "variety".
"personally, I think". No, just "I think".

I apologise if these have been said before, but it is a very long thread and I haven't read all of it.
Richard M
Cardiff
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Mick F wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 4:29pm Amol Rajan talks way too fast, and says A when he means a , and stresses his words and sentences totally wrongly. He speaks as if he's reading a list. Main problem is that he talks way too quickly.
The one that..........irritates me is Ros...........Atkins who speaks..........two or three...........words at a...........time with pauses................in between.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Mick F wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 6:39pm
Dingdong wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 3:08pm How on earth do they get to call it a pudding!
Have a read at Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudding
"Pudding is a type of food that can be either a dessert or a savoury (salty or spicy) dish that is part of the main meal.........Savoury puddings include Yorkshire pudding,"

Yorkshire Pudding isn't a dessert or a main meal, it's a starter.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche