English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Jdsk

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Post by Jdsk »

Did anyone spot the confusion of militate/ mitigate in another thread?

And I've just spotted that our previous discussion wasn't in a usage thread at all:
viewtopic.php?p=1533929&hilit=militate+ ... e#p1533929

Jonathan
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Nevertheless has got to be my word of the week. Nevertheless.... :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I don't usually get upset by language abuse and it's many derivatives,but one thing that does annoy is the Americanism of using the word "period" to describe the end of a statement :?
Why don't they just say full stop and have done with it :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 11:12am I don't usually get upset by language abuse and it's many derivatives,but one thing that does annoy is the Americanism of using the word "period" to describe the end of a statement
Why don't they just say full stop and have done with it
The origins of both are known, but I don't think that there's an explanation for the divergence...

Jonathan
sjs

Post by sjs »

"The importance of regular lubrication of the chain cannot be understated", and similar, when they mean "overstated". Seems to happen a lot.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

reohn2 wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 11:12am I don't usually get upset by language abuse and it's many derivatives,but one thing that does annoy is the Americanism of using the word "period" to describe the end of a statement :?
"This was the largest audience ever to witness an inauguration - PERIOD - both in person and around the globe." - Sean Spicer, on Trump's inauguration. :lol:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

People, usually men, when finishing a phone call, even after they say "bye" they'll give it another " bye, bye", finishing off with another few "b, b, b, b's" ( just the b sound several times at the end )

Infuriating !
while they are doing this behaviour to be kind or merit your favor, I just want them to go
" BE GONE WITH YOU THIS MINUIT ! "
I am here. Where are you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kylecycler wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 2:02pm
reohn2 wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 11:12am I don't usually get upset by language abuse and it's many derivatives,but one thing that does annoy is the Americanism of using the word "period" to describe the end of a statement :?
"This was the largest audience ever to witness an inauguration - PERIOD - both in person and around the globe." - Sean Spicer, on Trump's inauguration. :lol:
Yer squeezing me melon now man!
W H Auden
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

It just reflects how separate populations undergo separate evolution, be it in language or genetics. Since Hollywood began exporting films, US & UK English have interbred, with the dominant genes being of the more robust American stock. Getting all hot under the collar about it is just kicking against the pricks.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Audax67 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 2:30pm
It just reflects how separate populations undergo separate evolution, be it in language or genetics. Since Hollywood began exporting films, US & UK English have interbred, with the dominant genes being of the more robust American stock. Getting all hot under the collar about it is just kicking against the pricks.
Well,yes I agree.It's just that one expression that I've heard annoys,it's so silly IMO.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kylecycler wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 2:02pm
From a bigger liar than Boris Johnson,and that's say something! :shock:
W H Auden
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Obfuscation, that's a favourite of mine. A certain Prime Minister seems to use it every day now... :lol:
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

reohn2 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 7:18pm
Audax67 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 2:30pm
Well,yes I agree.It's just that one expression that I've heard annoys,it's so silly IMO.
Ending with "period" is more a turn of phrase than a replacement of the UK term with the American one everywhere. In all probability a UK someone saying "blah-blah-blah PERIOD" would probably still say "full stop" if they were dictating a letter - assuming that's allowed these days.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Audax67 wrote: 2 Feb 2022, 8:37am

Ending with "period" is more a turn of phrase than a replacement of the UK term with the American one everywhere. In all probability a UK someone saying "blah-blah-blah PERIOD" would probably still say "full stop" if they were dictating a letter - assuming that's allowed these days.
No less annoying for me though :wink:
W H Auden
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

First past the Post: it must be a nightmare for newsreaders! Too many sibilants :lol: