English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Jdsk

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 2 Apr 2022, 7:30pm(Using the capital T to empathise of course)
Skitt's Law strikes?

: - )

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

..and while we're talking about articles, the modern trend in spoken English, to eschew the use of an, when the noun it precedes starts with a vowel sound needs to be nipped in the bud. I suggest 30 days hard labour for transgressors - or perhaps that excellent and traditional deterrent of hanging, drawing and quartering. In fact, death is too good for them...
"Today, Greg, I've prepared for you, a omelette aux fines herbes with a hollondaise sauce and a orange and celery salad."
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 2 Apr 2022, 7:57pm ..and while we're talking about articles, the modern trend in spoken English, to eschew the use of an, when the noun it precedes starts with a vowel sound needs to be nipped in the bud.
Those commas don't work for me. What's the subject noun phrase?

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Quite right! So, in my mind, the phrase 'the modern trend in spoken English' was preceded by the phrase, what does my head in is, in order to give this complete sentance: What does my head in is the modern trend in spoken English to eschew the use of an...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sport report at the end of the 6 o’clock news this evening.

“.......where a glass bottle hit a A Celtic staff member on the head”
Not ......... “ ‘where a glass bottle his a Celtic staff member on the head”

Further along the sport report ........
“ ............... in The women’s race”

Not ............ “ in the women’s race”

“ .......... in A record time”
Not ..........“ in a record time”

etc etc etc.

Drives me nuts! :evil:
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 6:43pmFurther along the sport report ........

When there are two pronunciations of the same spelling it isn't clear which you mean if you differentiate them by capitalisation.

If you don't want to use a phonetic alphabet I suggest something like:

the (as in he) and the as in huh.

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Apr 2022, 11:56am
simonineaston wrote: 2 Apr 2022, 11:53amHowever, I do wish that lazy journalists could try a little bit harder to find a word or phrase that's an improvement on the meaningless twaddle that is "double-down" - what does it even mean?? It's everywhere! Useless!!
It's a gambling term. Has a specific meaning in blackjack but the concept applies in many other games.

Jonathan
I would also say it's meaning is perfectly clear in other contexts. At least, every time that I have seen/heard it ...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mattheus wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 7:13pm
Jdsk wrote: 2 Apr 2022, 11:56am
simonineaston wrote: 2 Apr 2022, 11:53amHowever, I do wish that lazy journalists could try a little bit harder to find a word or phrase that's an improvement on the meaningless twaddle that is "double-down" - what does it even mean?? It's everywhere! Useless!!
It's a gambling term. Has a specific meaning in blackjack but the concept applies in many other games.
I would also say it's meaning is perfectly clear in other contexts. At least, every time that I have seen/heard it
Yes.

And it has the added payload of suggesting the analogy of a game for the particular context in which it is used.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 6:49pm [quote="Mick F" post_id=<a href="tel:1684804">1684804</a> time=<a href="tel:1649007807">1649007807</a> user_id=109]Further along the sport report ........

When there are two pronunciations of the same spelling it isn't clear which you mean if you differentiate them by capitalisation.

Jonathan
[/quote]
Yet if I wrote Polish or polish , Reading or reading you’d know exactly how to pronounce it.

I think Mick is showing the emphasis of the speaker by using a capital rather than the pronunciation. Well that’s my understanding . :D

Edit: no idea why that formatting shows as it does. Looks fine in edit mode.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 7:18pm
Jdsk wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 6:49pm
Mick F wrote:Further along the sport report ........

Yet if I wrote Polish or polish , Reading or reading you’d know exactly how to pronounce it.
That's because the capitalisation of Polish shows the adjective of a proper noun, Poland (or similar), and we deduce the pronunciation from that. Ditto Reading. That doesn't work for the two pronunciations of the and a, because there is no associated proper noun.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 7:18pmYet if I wrote Polish or polish , Reading or reading you’d know exactly how to pronounce it.
I wouldn't if it were at the start of a sentence.

Reading is boring.

Q: Which vodka would you like? Or do you want the stuff to make the woodwork shiny?
A: Polish, please.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 7:30pm
Paulatic wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 7:18pmYet if I wrote Polish or polish , Reading or reading you’d know exactly how to pronounce it.

Reading is boring.

Q: Which vodka would you like? Or do you want the stuff to make the woodwork shiny?

Jonathan
It does because we read it in context. If we are discussing attributes of towns id read it correctly. I’d be lost for a while until I realise you’ve switched to discussing libraries.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 8:20pm
Jdsk wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 7:30pm

Reading is boring.

It does because we read it in context. If we are discussing attributes of towns id read it correctly. I’d be lost for a while until I realise you’ve switched to discussing libraries.
Of course context matters.

But the problem under consideration here is how to show in text the two pronunciations of a and the. Context isn't usually going to work for that, because the alternatives differ only in emphasis and either would work in the context.

Jonathan
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Mick F wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 6:43pm Sport report at the end of the 6 o’clock news this evening.

“.......where a glass bottle hit a A Celtic staff member on the head”
Not ......... “ ‘where a glass bottle his a Celtic staff member on the head”

Sports reporters are supposed to mangle grammar and pronunciation: they'd probably be fired if they didn't.

What annoys me is the Graun's nasty habit of ending the headline of "live" sports events with an exclamation mark! Be still, my beating heart.
Have we got time for another cuppa?