Alcohol Consumption Guidelines: Do you care?

Paulatic

Re: Alcohol Consumption Guidelines: Do you care?

Post by Paulatic »

Sweep wrote:[

Contrary to what some folk think, and maybe see it as a sure sign of well on the road to hell, I think there's a lot to be said for daytime drinking. If you can spare the time. And aren't operating heavy machinery etc.

Alcohol interferes with good quality sleep.

I agree with that but sad it took me a long time to realise. I was just getting into the habit of a once a month bus trip to town for lunch and a couple of beers. Then CV came along :(
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Cyril Haearn wrote:@Pebble
So your weekly figure is below, but daily on the three days you drink is above?

An adult male may weigh 70 kg, or 140 kg, is that allowed for?

More statistics and analysis please :wink:

No, I don't down 10 pints 3 times a week, I will have up to 20 units in any one week, it's usually 3 bottles a night fri thru sunday. Would love to have 3 every night but I know that would not be a good or wise thing to do.

I would love more stats and guidance on what is safe!

May be I should move to spain where it is safe for men to have up to 35 units per week
https://www.theguardian.com/news/databl ... the-worlds
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Too drunk to read it. :)
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pebble wrote:I would love more stats and guidance on what is safe!

I'd start with the excellent work by the Royal College of Physicians:
https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/search?keys ... _relevance

and the "Alcohol consumption and health" chapter in "The Public Health Burden of Alcohol and the Effectiveness and Cost-Effectiveness of Alcohol Control Policies":
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/733108/alcohol_public_health_burden_evidence_review_update_2018.pdf

Jonathan
Syd

Post by Syd »

Yes.

My father was an alcoholic and my mother wasn’t far off being one too. I had an atrocious upbringing as a result and am certain it explains many if my antisocial traits today.. (I score high on the AQ score).

I know alcohol abuse can impact lives so am extremely careful in my consumption.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I guess Syd was lucky, lots of people from such families get into trouble themselves, never get their lives in order, die young

I have been dry for 30 years, I think alcohol sale and consumption should be limited
Bet there is a lot of 'invisible' trouble caused by alcohol. Should the aim be to make it as socially unacceptable as smoking?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:... I think alcohol sale and consumption should be limited

Do you mean at all, or tighter than at present in the UK?

Thanks

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Another example, as if we needed yet another, of the marked difference between individual experience and statistical observation. I've lost count of the number of personal friends and aquaintences who've suffered badly from this addictive drug. Lives ruined and lost. Like they say, if alcohol was invented tomorrow, they'd ban it in an instant.
On the other hand, I've also lost count of the number of Great Times I've had, when alcohol has been present & correct - so, where's my pencil - let's see if I can calculate the odds...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One may have GT Great Time without a GT Gin + Tonic
With grapefruit juice, for example :wink:
One does not see many alcoholics in town, I guess many stay at home as much as possible, many die young too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote:Another example, as if we needed yet another, of the marked difference between individual experience and statistical observation. I've lost count of the number of personal friends and aquaintences who've suffered badly from this addictive drug.

I don't follow: you know lots who have suffered, and the public health statistics show lots who have suffered (as linked above). Where's the difference?

Thanks

Jonathan
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My theory ...Dr. Whiteside.

Scientists work out that 38 units of alcohol a week is safe ...
Scientists tell BMA.
BMA ... Lawyers warn that that scientists may have got it wrong... 28 units.
BMA tells NHS.
NHS ... Lawyers warn that that BMA may have got it wrong ... 20 units.
NHS tells Government.
Government ...Lawyers warn that that NHS may have got it wrong ... 14 units.

See how we get here .. ?

Dr. Whiteside DPhil ......

:D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One may have GT Great Time without a GT Gin + Tonic
With grapefruit juice, for example :wink:
One does not see many alcoholics in town, I guess many stay at home as much as possible, many die young too

Many may not:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questi ... -medicine/

What does an alcoholic look like, out of interest, I should like to be able to recognise them.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Jdsk wrote:
Pebble wrote:I would love more stats and guidance on what is safe!

I'd start with the excellent work by the Royal College of Physicians:
https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/search?keys ... _relevance

and the "Alcohol consumption and health" chapter in "The Public Health Burden of Alcohol and the Effectiveness and Cost-Effectiveness of Alcohol Control Policies":
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/733108/alcohol_public_health_burden_evidence_review_update_2018.pdf

Jonathan

wasnt sure wther to start with the 166 learned publications or wade into the 240 page study - so I headed off into the garage and can confirm my latest batch of home brew is doing fine

on the subject of home brew - I have just welcomed xmas in with some delightful german wheat beer that I brewed up a while back - just wonderful, and certainly puts riding a push bike about in freezing wet and muddy conditions into perspective.
Syd

Post by Syd »

simonineaston wrote:Another example, as if we needed yet another, of the marked difference between individual experience and statistical observation. I've lost count of the number of personal friends and aquaintences who've suffered badly from this addictive drug. Lives ruined and lost. Like they say, if alcohol was invented tomorrow, they'd ban it in an instant.
On the other hand, I've also lost count of the number of Great Times I've had, when alcohol has been present & correct - so, where's my pencil - let's see if I can calculate the odds...

The major problem with statistics is that many if those who drink to excess lie to themselves and others so give false answers when questioned.

Take my father (I refuse to refer to him as ‘dad’), for example, to the best of my knowledge he never admitted to having a problem with alcohol and told anyone who asked he only had one or two shots a day.

This was despite routinely drinking a bottle of whisky before breakfast and, in later life, losing both lower legs due to complications related to it.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonineaston wrote:Another example, as if we needed yet another, of the marked difference between individual experience and statistical observation. I've lost count of the number of personal friends and aquaintences who've suffered badly from this addictive drug. Lives ruined and lost. Like they say, if alcohol was invented tomorrow, they'd ban it in an instant.

On balance the odds either way/on either side possibly similar to sex.
Not yet banned or limited by tax.
Sweep