A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

Re: A positive thread

Post by Grandad »

Well flattered by the 30 speed control sign displaying my speed as 21mph. Checked there wasn't a car behind as my computer showed 12mph :)
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I'm always impressed by the vast numbers of geese flying in from Greenland etc to overwinter on the marshlands along the coast by Southport. They make a mighty noise whilst aloft, and when I was out early the other morning, you could hear them piercing the silence, chuntering away to each other whilst resting in the fields for the night.
Pictured are a small amount, by comparison to some of the flocks I've seen.-click
P1160040 (3).JPG
They get fed on Lord Derby's land someone told me the other day; there was a recent planning application to build on some farmland used by one of the geese species, and it was passed as long as the developer fed the geese.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-59318469
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

A fantastic crotcheted Christmas Tree in Croston today; made by many hands, so well done ' Croston Knitwits '.
It looked amazing in the bright sunshine. Seasons Greetings to all on the Forum.
Click twice to see the variety of squares, and the Angels surrounding the base of the tree.
P1160259 (2).JPG
P1160263.JPG
P1160261 (2).JPG
Nu-Fogey
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Out for a nice potter today , the weather is surprisingly mild for this time of year :D
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

To be fair most UK Motorists are considerate and give lots of room to cyclists. Its usually carelessness when in a hurry and dark rainy that accidents happen.
Also motorists use the horn a lot as a (friendly) Warning. A lot of cyclists interpret the horn as a hostile noise. Wrongly.
millimole

Post by millimole »

briansnail wrote:To be fair most UK Motorists are considerate and give lots of room to cyclists. Its usually carelessness when in a hurry and dark rainy that accidents happen.
Also motorists use the horn a lot as a (friendly) Warning. A lot of cyclists interpret the horn as a hostile noise. Wrongly.
I tend to agree.
It's human nature to remember the wrong 'uns and forget the tenfold that don't bother us. It's true in all walks of life.

Since I've retired, and started working with the general public, I've realised that most people, most of the time, are mostly OK.
I think that's true of drivers.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
sjs

Post by sjs »

colin54 wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 10:02am I'm always impressed by the vast numbers of geese flying in from Greenland etc to overwinter on the marshlands along the coast by Southport. They make a mighty noise whilst aloft, and when I was out early the other morning, you could hear them piercing the silence, chuntering away to each other whilst resting in the fields for the night.
Pictured are a small amount, by comparison to some of the flocks I've seen.-click
P1160040 (3).JPG
They get fed on Lord Derby's land someone told me the other day; there was a recent planning application to build on some farmland used by one of the geese species, and it was passed as long as the developer fed the geese.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-59318469
Doing a few days walking in Norfolk one October fairly recently, I was privileged to watch the arrival of many noisy v-formations of pink-footed geese, to spend their winter on the fields around Holkham. Very impressive.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

P1160810 (3).JPG
Sunset at Southport yesterday, beautiful.
Nu-Fogey
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

And the one across Swansea Bay, South Wales.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Since the new Highway Code changes have kicked in I've noticed a lot more drivers being respectful and courteous to more vulnerable road users. Long may it continue.
peetee

Post by peetee »

ChrisP100 wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 8:17am Since the new Highway Code changes have kicked in I've noticed a lot more drivers being respectful and courteous to more vulnerable road users. Long may it continue.
Good.
Such a shame that it took the law to raise its voice in a threatening manner before they saw common sense.
In acknowledgement of the fact that my reply wasn’t totally positive here is a photo of some winter colour in my garden:
44806C1B-EFAF-4BD2-82FD-95B440FD1E4A.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

They look like acorns, but I assume not, what are they?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ivy?

Jonathan
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Ivy definitely.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Early lambs
P1160875 (4).JPG
P1160881.JPG
The one with the 'spectacles' is feeding in the second picture, the lambs at the rear are triplets I think, they never moved from each others company and responded to their Mother's call as one.
Nu-Fogey