A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ThickBloke

Re: A positive thread

Post by ThickBloke »

On a positive note.
I use a large cargo trailer when making a 6 mile round trip to the farm shop. Last week some traffic controlled roadworks appeared and having passed through them in a car a couple of times through work travel, I noted the time it takes before the opposite flow turns green so I could determine if I would have time to clear the single lane contraflow with my bike and trailer before the lights changed to green at the other end. The construction team had allowed ample time for slow cyclists (such as my self) to get through with ease. Yesterday I arrived with bike and trailer at said lights just as they turned red. Four cars queued behind me so as the lights changed to green I waved them through before I set off knowing I would have enough time and to ensure they didn't have to travel at my snails pace. Each driver either pipped or waved as they passed, even a BMW driver (ha ha). No such excitement on the way back. I have noted that drivers are much more respectful when passing you when you are pulling a trailer. Is it because it's a rare occurrence to see these days or are they wary that the trailer is not soft and squishy like a human and it could actually damage their paintwork?
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

Had some nice experiences lately on my rides.

On my weekend ride, due to my complete lack of fitness, the heat, and my own 'natural insulation', I ended up stopping at the side of the road a number of times for a breather, and to cool down. Every single time I did so, a passing cyclist politely inquired if everything was OK. (Before anyone makes the comment - no, it wasn't the same cyclist every time :lol: )

A few weeks ago I was cycling uphill on a hot day and had to pull over to the pavement on the right in order to find some shade. I must have looked in a bad way, red-faced and leaning over the handlebars to catch my breath, because a car driver leaned out of the window to ask if I was OK. It seems that he'd driven by, turned round further up the road to come back past me, then turned round again so that he could lean out of the window and check on me. Not flattering, but a very nice thing to do :lol:
rmaxted

Post by rmaxted »

I'd go with the "You Ok ?" thing. Happened to me twice today when I'd pulled over to take a drink and then when I was tweaking a new saddle height. Also done it on a couple of occasions.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

14 of the family on yesterday's Ride and Stride, 2y to 75y. Interesting collection of machines for the children. Biscuits and drinks and smiles in the churches. Picnic on Stadhampton Green.

Friend's birthday party in the village.

World Cup rugby.

Jonathan
gaz

Post by gaz »

Looking for some replacement bearings for the Mule trailer. No idea what the required bearing type was called, never mind the model number. No markings on the existing set.

Bought a vernier gauge, measured up, bit of googling, placed order and crossed fingers.

Got it right :D .
Bearing.png
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
rjb

Post by rjb »

These are known as flange bearings. Also found in wheelbarrows. Bearings were cheap and cheerful with a short lifespan. I struggled to find replacements so fitted better quality standard (no flange) with a tube spacer in the wheel. And was careful to avoid over tightening up the axle which would have loaded the bearing. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Fallow deer amongst the bluebells on today's ride.
Deer Bluebells.JPG
and a nod to Piet Mondrian on a Dutch named barge.
P1170839.JPG
Nu-Fogey
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I was cycling up a very steep (19%?) hill from St Cyrus nature reserve, a large family were walking down it, they moved to one side and all cheered me on up the hill. Good fun!
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

VinceLedge wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 8:49am I was cycling up a very steep (19%?) hill from St Cyrus nature reserve, a large family were walking down it, they moved to one side and all cheered me on up the hill. Good fun!
I'd hate that - I'd feel like I was letting them down, when I inevitably had to get off and push :D
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

gcogger wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 1:47pm
VinceLedge wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 8:49am I was cycling up a very steep (19%?) hill from St Cyrus nature reserve, a large family were walking down it, they moved to one side and all cheered me on up the hill. Good fun!
I'd hate that - I'd feel like I was letting them down, when I inevitably had to get off and push :D
Luckily I was on the MTB and could just keep spinning up 😄
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

I would ride on through the pain if I had an audience (at least until I was out of sight!)