Have you ever cycled where you shouldn't?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Have you ever cycled where you shouldn't?

Post by mercalia »

The Öresund Bridge connecting Sweden and Denmark was closed to all traffic on Monday morning after four individuals attempted to make the crossing via bicycle.

http://www.thelocal.se/20160718/cyclists-close-bridge-between-sweden-and-denmark

I know there was a case of a migrant found cycling on the hard shoulder of a motor way here. as for me only paths and pavements
Paulatic

Re: Have you ever cycled where you shouldn't?

Post by Paulatic »

Yes
A footbridge in Langholm. The sign said "cyclists dismount".
I ignored it and with a blinding sun, unusual in Langholm I know, I crashed into the safety barrier at the end of the bridge. Wrote off my Claud Butler :(
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

We cycled the bypass before it was open. Great without traffic.

I almost always ignore "Cyclists Dismount" signs, but they have no real force.
There is one on a level crossing I often use, presumably because the road and railway cross at an oblique angle. The road is seldom used, and the railway even more seldom. It was not until last week that I saw a train on it, after years. I never dismount.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Today, I stopped off in Tavistock town centre and sat in the shade in Bedford Square.
To get to the bench, I cycled on the pavement. :oops:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.55001 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I nearly always ignore 'Road Closed' signs, especially if it's not 7am - 4pm on a work day. Round here they're often on quiet single-lane roads and there's nearly always room to squeeze a cycle through. A couple of times, where there has been Heras fencing, I've done my best to look pleading and a workman has let me through. Some years ago in France I understood but blithely ignored the signs and a blue-overalled ouvrier stopped me rolling into hot tar just in time, but as usual I could squeeze by on the verge.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

M621. It was Sunday morning, in the days before Sunday Shopping. we only went one junction into Leeds city centre. The traffic cop that stopped us told us it was a motorway and not to do it again. It was only us and him on there, though.
NUKe

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes - frequently.
Much more frequently now that I am accompanying MiniBob on her bike...

Of course motorway hard shoulders are safer places to cycle than many a roads - even those with cycle lanes painted on them.
Good thing they use a unique colour for signs, so that you can't get mixed up between our long range cycle paths and motorways
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I quite often cycle on footpaths when there are no cycle lanes on the road, because I'm not risking my neck for some arbitrary blanket rule. Of course, I'm extremely careful if there's pedestrians about, and if they are too frequent I'll risk the road instead.

I did get into it with a forestry commission fella once, while mountain biking across a deserted North Yorkshire moor. He stopped me and claimed the track I was riding down was for pedestrians only, and he was astride a four wheeler. The hypocrisy and his attitude very nearly led to violence, but the ridiculousness of this jumped up little pipsqueak mouthing off in the middle of nowhere, and us the only two people from horizon to horizon, conspired to derail my growing anger.

My most flagrant disregard for the rules was touring the Alps last year. The Tunnel du Chat, bypassing the Col, doesn't allow bicycles, but I was too tired to climb further. So I waited for a significant gap in the traffic and darted through as fast as I could.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

If you use shared used paths, that seem to never have a shared used ends sign, I'd suggest it's inevitable.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
rjb

Post by rjb »

Daughter got undertaken and then forced down the Blackwall tunnel under the Thames by a car in the wrong lane. She found it was a steep descent followed by a big hill. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:The Öresund Bridge connecting Sweden and Denmark was closed to all traffic on Monday morning after four individuals attempted to make the crossing via bicycle.

http://www.thelocal.se/20160718/cyclists-close-bridge-between-sweden-and-denmark

Well, what idiot would build a bridge with no cycling provision in Copenhagen in 2000?

I know there was a case of a migrant found cycling on the hard shoulder of a motor way here. as for me only paths and pavements

Bloody migrants, coming over here and competing in athletics competitions? http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... way-131186

I routinely ignore "Cyclists Dismount" where me being wider and slower would benefit no-one (narrow stretches of cycle track, for example, or between road and cycle parking) and I also go "loopholing" by using cycle-only accesses to sections of road which really ought to be open to two-way cycling but don't yet have the "Except Cycles" plate on the main no-entry signs.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

iandriver wrote:If you use shared used paths, that seem to never have a shared used ends sign, I'd suggest it's inevitable.

One of those lovely variations between councils that make cycling in England so interesting! In Norfolk, the end of some cycle tracks (which shared use paths are a bike-bashing name for) have a thick white line across the track, END in big white letters, a bike symbol, a turn arrow pointing onto the carriageway, a blue "End of ø>ò route" sign (despite no cycle route ending there - only a track) and possibly a direction finger sign... yet in Cambridge, it's very easy to roll off the unmarked end of a cycle track and onto a footway or footpath.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I cycled on the Mancunian Way which is a city centre motorway in Manchester.

That was in the mid 70s when there was a lot less traffic about, it was late at night and there was hardly any traffic. I didn't realise it was a motorway until I was on it and when I did realise I just pedalled a short way to the junction I wanted and left it.
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

Coming from the airport at Edinburgh, cycling back to our car, we inadvertently cycled onto the A720 city bypass which is a cycle restricted 70mph super busy racetrack! It was only after about 20 mins riding and several tooting horns my wife said 'these cars are going awful quick, don't you think! '

An improvised exit through a hedge and down embankment later, we quivered as the sirens of a police landrover whizzed by above :lol:
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

We are all cycling where we shouldn't. At least, that's the advice we get daily from friendly lawyers (I presume they are lawyers) in passing cars.

As I understand it, the law is: No cycles shall be ridden on the highway because the cyclist pays no road tax.