Route from DFDS Terminal at Dunkirk to Ostende

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: Route from DFDS Terminal at Dunkirk to Ostende

Postby mjr » 18 May 2018, 3:48pm

Another update in case anyone's considering this: the station area in Dunkirk (secteur gare de Dunkerque) has been remodelled with several one-way streets changing directions since last October and new cycleways on the outsides of Square Guynemer since a few months ago, plus there's more building work going on in the centre - most annoyingly blocking Quai des Fleurs, which looked like a useful easy-to-follow route through town.

All this seems to mean that when leaving the Quai de Mardyck cycleway, it looks like it's now easiest to take the ramp up to bridge level then turn left over a crossing to a cycleway, straight over three(?) roads then turn right to follow the Quai des Hollandais before using an advance stop box by a tower to cross the road and join cycle lanes along the D79 (there's some work being done either side of Pont Carnot but it's described as renovation rather than remodelling) to regain the old route in Leffrinckoucke - or keep following the quays to a right cycle-only turn between two blocks of flats to join cycleways past the Operation Dynamo museum (good cycling name that) and head for the seafront cycle track.

Anyone been this way recently?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 18 May 2018, 4:56pm

I'm pretty sure the D601 had an off road cycle track right along it. I would not describe what I saw as dangerous by any stretch.

Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

Clipper_2018

Postby Clipper_2018 » 18 May 2018, 5:15pm

If you were going further east, I could help you with the Zeebrugge-Antwerp stretch.

mjr

Postby mjr » 18 May 2018, 8:28pm

iandriver wrote:I'm pretty sure the D601 had an off road cycle track right along it. I would not describe what I saw as dangerous by any stretch.

The bit of the D601 that one wants to use has that, yes, between Loon Plage and Grand Synthe. The dangerous bit is the road south from the port, which also takes all the lorries to the autoroute. It's much better to head east when leaving the port.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 18 May 2018, 10:50pm

mjr wrote:
iandriver wrote:I'm pretty sure the D601 had an off road cycle track right along it. I would not describe what I saw as dangerous by any stretch.

The bit of the D601 that one wants to use has that, yes, between Loon Plage and Grand Synthe. The dangerous bit is the road south from the port, which also takes all the lorries to the autoroute. It's much better to head east when leaving the port.

Kind of see where you're coming from, but I did the wait until the motor vehicles have gone thing, leaving me cycling up a very wide and completely empty road. It's not my daily commute and have only done it a couple of times. Those couple of times I've never felt even remotely threatened.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

mjr

Postby mjr » 18 May 2018, 11:53pm

Yeah, well, thanks to the train company restrictions on bikes through Cambridge, we don't get to Dunkirk until about 5pm local so we really want to get moving to reach our accommodation before check in closes rather than spend time bowing to motorists in the hope that there's not traffic from the other port sites after that. Heading east adds very little distance and it's probably made up by not going through Loon Plage and slowing for its junctions.

ANTONISH

Postby ANTONISH » 19 May 2018, 7:53am

+1 for going straight ahead at the roundabout.
You will need to get into the left hand lane well before it.
I usually turn right at the T junction ( I've not tried the left hand turn so can't speak of it) and when I get to the main road cross it to Craywick - it's a traffic light controlled junction. If you are intent on going through Dunkerque you can turn left and take the parallel cycle path.
Personally I would avoid Dunkerque and from Craywick head to Brouckerque and Bergues - there are plenty of small quiet roads roughly parallel to the coast - I would suggest joining the coast road at De Panne.