Julian Assange? Who's that?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Julian Assange? Who's that?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Mike Sales wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:
I personally don't see much commonality there but each to their own opinions (often according to what your views are of the recipient of JA's attentions).

I'm not entirely clear who you mean here, I guess you are talking about the Swedish women. Of course he should face trial over those allegations. I have no view of the women.
If you are referring to the USA government, I do dislike their vindictive justice system, and the even more vindictive President. Manning has been treated badly.

Keep on doing what you're doing with selective quoting and deliberately trying to misunderstand what I post. I'll cross the bridge and move on to things more interesting.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tangled Metal wrote:Keep on doing what you're doing with selective quoting and deliberately trying to misunderstand what I post. I'll cross the bridge and move on to things more interesting.

I think that is unfair. I tried to deal with both of your possible meanings, as far as I could see. Who did you mean by the recipients of Assange's attentions? I am at a loss, not deliberately misunderstanding.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Seems the egregious Mr Assange is off to America after all.

I have to speculate: why not Sweden? Isn't (alleged) rape as serious a crime as (alleged) espionage?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

661-Pete wrote:Seems the egregious Mr Assange is off to America after all.

I have to speculate: why not Sweden? Isn't (alleged) rape as serious a crime as (alleged) espionage?

A Swedish court threw it out.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Oldjohnw wrote: ... A Swedish court threw it out.

Are you sure that's right? I thought a Swedish public prosecutor had unsuccessfully applied for some sort of arrest warrant which would have enabled the issue of a European arrest warrant which would have facilitated a streamlined transfer to Sweden. In the meantime, the US authorities are at the top of the queue. Assuming axtradition to the USA is authorised, then I don't know if the rest of his sentence for failing to surrender to bail has to be served before deportation, whether it can be remitted. My impression is that his only hope of avoiding deportation to the USA is a GE before he goes and a Labour Home Secretary finds a way to order a cancellation.. It looks like a slim hope. If the predictions are right, the years lost in the Ecuadorean embassy will seem like a walk in the park.

The uncertain future must be crushing.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

thirdcrank wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote: ... A Swedish court threw it out.

Are you sure that's right? I thought a Swedish public prosecutor had unsuccessfully applied for some sort of arrest warrant which would have enabled the issue of a European arrest warrant which would have facilitated a streamlined transfer to Sweden. In the meantime, the US authorities are at the top of the queue. Assuming axtradition to the USA is authorised, then I don't know if the rest of his sentence for failing to surrender to bail has to be served before deportation, whether it can be remitted. My impression is that his only hope of avoiding deportation to the USA is a GE before he goes and a Labour Home Secretary finds a way to order a cancellation.. It looks like a slim hope. If the predictions are right, the years lost in the Ecuadorean embassy will seem like a walk in the park.

The uncertain future must be crushing.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/jun/03/swedish-court-rejects-request-to-detain-julian-assange?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... At the Swedish court on Monday, a judgment was read out saying that since Assange was already in a British prison he did not need to be formally detained to be questioned by Swedish prosecutors.

“As Julian Assange is currently serving a prison sentence, the investigation can proceed with the help of a European investigation order, which does not require Julian Assange’s detention (in Sweden). The court therefore does not find it proportional to detain Julian Assange,” the judgment said.

Assange’s Swedish defence lawyer, Per Samuelson, argued that Assange’s imprisonment in Britain meant there was no flight risk. “He is in prison for half a year at least, and he is detained on behalf of the United States. So there is no point detaining him in Sweden too,” Samuelson said.

Responding to the ruling, the Swedish prosecutor Eva-Marie Persson said: “The investigation continues with interviews in Sweden. I will also issue a European investigation order in order to interview Julian Assange. No date has been set yet. We will constantly review the state of the investigation.”

On reflection about the process for extradition to the USA, there are plenty of avenues for appeals. I presume the Home Secretary's decision is amenable to judicial review. Assuming the Chief Magistrate approves extradition, I presume that can be the subject of an appeal right up to the European Court of Human Rights, always assuming we haven't opted out in the meantime. Stringing it out could well mean that the Swedish investigation is ended by that country's statute of limitations.

You never know but it's hard to see him getting bail again. And the public interest here seems minimal.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've long thought Julian Assange has been the subject of an example by a super power wanting to cover up it's illegal actions:- https://youtu.be/QYwxmJKh_gI
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Julian Assange: UK judge blocks extradition of Wikileaks founder to US

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55528241

From the Grauniad:-

.... As US authorities prepare to appeal against the ruling, Assange will appear in court on Wednesday for a new bail application.

His legal team is expected to present evidence to show that Assange will not abscond ....

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/ ... ion-ruling

Given his history of not turning up at court, it will be interesting to see how the bail application goes. I say "interesting" but few seem interested any more. I don't know what avenues of appeal are open with regard to the extradition ruling. That could take a long time.
irc

Post by irc »

Given the last time he jumped bail it resulted in years of delay I think his chances of bail are minimal.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

irc wrote:Given the last time he jumped bail it resulted in years of delay I think his chances of bail are minimal.

Even less than that as it turns out. Presumably, in addition the the US Govt's appeal against the refusal to extradite, he can appeal over being refused bail. All from inside HMP Belmarsh. The uncertainty of the outcome must be getting to him. Incidentally, I've not seen any detail of the judge's bail decision but the fact that the Mexican Govt announced they would grant asylum cannot have helped his bail application.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55562207
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Was torn between putting this on the Trump thread or here, but was looking up Sarah Palin's response to the Capitol Hill riot. The most interesting thing was that as of December she was calling for Trump to pardon Assange. Backstory is she condemned Assange when Wikileaks leaked her private messages and photos, but later apologised to Assange in 2017, after Wikileaks published private emails from then Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager John Podesta in the final weeks of the 2016 election- which may of course have damaged Clinton's chances in the election.

Wonder if Trump will find time to do it?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Attachments
FEE24E1B-B4E5-416E-B5E2-099045AAE56A.jpeg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

That's a High Court decision. I don't know what appeals are available in deportation cases, but it might involve the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court. IIRC, the Home Secretary is the final decision maker in deportation cases and also IIRC, the current proceedings follow that approval being given. Perhaps the Home Secretary's decision is still subject to judicial review. There could still be a long way to go.

Otherwise, it's presumably an early plane flight
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Previously it was suggested tit-for-tat swap with the privileged VIP scholas? If I remember that correctly name?

Fat chance :evil:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.