Dutch cycle routes - iphone navigation ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
KEELIEDW

Dutch cycle routes - iphone navigation ?

Post by KEELIEDW »

We're planning a tour in Southern Holland, mostly routes based around their 2 digit waymarker system. On a previous visit I found their system pretty good in the countryside, but we were abandoned by the signage a couple of times in some urban areas. I've printed the entire route on a series of A4 sheets, and if lost I can always switch on Google maps (which is not ideal as it often fails to show cycle routes if off-highway) on my iPhone . Can anyone tell me if there is an app which not only shows the numbered cycle mapping but also gives my live position ?
mjr

Re: Dutch cycle routes - iphone navigation ?

Post by mjr »

KEELIEDW wrote:Can anyone tell me if there is an app which not only shows the numbered cycle mapping but also gives my live position ?

Any map app capable of showing "OpenCycleMap" tiles should be able to do that.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

KEELIEDW wrote:We're planning a tour in Southern Holland, mostly routes based around their 2 digit waymarker system. On a previous visit I found their system pretty good in the countryside, but we were abandoned by the signage a couple of times in some urban areas. I've printed the entire route on a series of A4 sheets, and if lost I can always switch on Google maps (which is not ideal as it often fails to show cycle routes if off-highway) on my iPhone . Can anyone tell me if there is an app which not only shows the numbered cycle mapping but also gives my live position ?

On the iPhone I use and strongly recommend MapOut https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mapout/id477094081?mt=8 - others here also highly rate it.

It has the clearest mapping I've seen and being vector based it is fast and small and gives fabulous zoom details. Very outdoor oriented and has options to display additional "overlays" incl. Cycle Network (seems good around me). Apps is £5 but all mapping is OSM based and free (i.e. you downloads as much mapping as you want for free).

Does your "live position" (i.e. marks where you are) and also has various orientation displays e.g. pointer map showing where phone is pointing or map rotates to orient north, etc.

Very good at presenting altitude info (e.g. touch two fingers on the map and an altitude plot of the land between those two points is is displayed, displays contour lines (option)). Does all the normal track recording from GPS and route display (send gpx to phone through many methods) as well as drawing your own route on the phone.

I've been through quite a few different mapping/track recording apps on the iPhone and MapOut is far ahead of everything else I've tried.

Ian
ForwardJ

Post by ForwardJ »

Hi, I'm heading to Holland in September to cycle the Zuiderzee Route. During my research for getting from Ijmuiden (ferry port) to the Route start in Amsterdam I stumbled across the Fietsknoop App (Dutch/English versions). This is based on the waymarkers and has gps. Not sure how to post up link but a search in App Store will find it. There are a few apps for the waymarker planning on there (free and paid).
two choices

Post by two choices »

Pocket Earth is available for iOS and shows all the Dutch cycle paths with intersection numbers. I found it very useful when we were there 2 weeks ago.
KEELIEDW

Post by KEELIEDW »

Thanks for all the suggestions. We're back after an enjoyable tour, I ended up downloading "Netherlands" from the cycleroutesapp.com which proved invaluable. This is a complete downloaded offline zoomable map with all numbered waymarkers. What the website doesn't make clear is that it also shows your live position (assuming you can get a signal, which in a flat country like Holland means most of the time), so you soon realise if you've strayed from the route.
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

get oruxmaps if you have android

then get these maps:
http://www.openfietsmap.nl/downloads/bnl_full

and you'll have the best chance possible of navigating the horrible 2 digit system used in southern holland.

or you would be better off going to Germany where they use proper signs telling you which way you are going. I'm not sure what the dutch are smoking....oh wait!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Happy to say that cycle.travel will incorporate the junction (knooppunten) numbers into its turn-by-turn directions with the next map update - have just hacked OSRM, the routing engine, to do this. The rather enjoyable irony is that the same code change that makes navigation easier in the flattest of areas also helps in the most mountainous - it'll show mountain passes too...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides