Fulcrum Racing Sport Freehub

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mark Berry

Fulcrum Racing Sport Freehub

Post by Mark Berry »

IMG_20170826_172908x600.jpg

IMG_20170826_180723x600.jpg

Hi,

Has anyone any idea how to rebuild this freehub, a Fulcrum RT-013 fitted to their 'Racing Sport' wheels? Various websites say that they are not serviceable and I can't find an exploded diagram or any instructions.

It's just the bearing(s) I need to replace; it makes a terrible noise when freewheeling, and has quite a lot of play, but does not slip.

I've tried knocking that tab with a hammer and punch, both clockwise and anticlockwise, with the freehub mounted in a vice via the stub which fits the wheel hub.

I've tried turning that internal hex, again with the freehub mounted in a vice.

In a 'nothing to lose' frame of mind I put rather a lot of effort into both attempts. Enough to shear the bolt used in place of an allen key in the second attempt. I'm really surprised that nothing shifted or broke.

I can't see any function for that hex other than holding it all together. But then again, if the body screws together via the hex, what are the tabs for? A diagram would be very useful.

(In the past I left the freehub soaking in gear oil for a week. This didn't quieten it, but it did liberate a lot of rusty oil over the next ride, so I'm quite convinced that there are some rusty bearings in there!)

Cheers,
Mark
Gattonero

Re: Fulcrum Racing Sport Freehub

Post by Gattonero »

Those, AFAIK, are OEM wheels and as such, there's hardly any spares available.
Their average user, will ride them to the ground and bin them after, they're not really supposed to be serviceable. The joys of the big markets :?

IIRC, inside they aren't much different from a Shimano freehub, but they take a #6001 bearing outside (instead of the 1/4" loose bearings like Shimano). It is supposed to oper counter-clockwise, but you need a tool to go on both the square notches, if you use a hammer on a single side you're very likely to crack the "ball-race" (that cover with the two notches outside).

My advice would be to flush it with solvent, then soak it in oil. And to not use the wheel for very long journeys or touring.
If the rim and spokes are in good nick, try to find a donor wheel you can get the freehub from, or ask where you bought the wheels/bike, the shop should be able to order a new freehub.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
rjb

Post by rjb »

Generally freehubs are best dismantled in situ when attached to the hub and built in a wheel. In shimano ones the bearing race in the middle with the 2 slots unscrews clockwise. I made a tool from a piece of steel bar which I held in a vice and fitted the wheel on top then turned the wheel to unscrew it. As soon as it loosens turn the wheel over ddo the freehub is upright. If you then continue to unscrew the race over a bowl it gives you a chance to collect any loose balls. Try not to lift the freehub or the balls fly everywhere. You will probably find several shims under the race. Remove one and refit the race checking the free play. You may have to remove more but it's trial and error. :wink:
Just read the previous post so if it has a sealed bearing then you may need to replace the bearing.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Gattonero wrote:...It is supposed to oper counter-clockwise, ....

actually, just like the Shimano ones and all the freewheels I know, opens clock-wise. This is due to the freewheeling, will tend to loosen the "ball race". A reverse thread, when freewheeling will keep tight.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW that freehub body is (I think) the same as a Quando/KT/Joytech one.

It can be serviced (like a shimano one) and made good again; i.e. play-free but probably still a bit noisy when freewheeling. I would echo the comments of others about it being easiest to overhaul when attached to the wheel and that the right tool is required to undo the cup with two notches in (which is mounted on a LH thread).

The spline fitting in the middle is to allow the freehub body to be held using a tool whilst the bolt (accessed from the left side of the hub) is tightened or loosened. This allows the freehub body to be removed from a loose hub, something the shimano design does not so easily allow.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mark Berry

Post by Mark Berry »

Interesting and helpful comments - thank you.

I've stripped and re-shimmed Shimano freehubs in the distant past so your comments do make complete sense to me, and now I know what that internal hex is for I feel like a wally for trying to unscrew it! I'll try to fabricate a suitable tool for the tabs.

The wheels are in fact my son's. They were given to him by a chap in our club, virtually unused, having come on a new Bianci. The chap said that they were rubbish, but I assumed he was hiding his generosity. I was really impressed with the asymmetrical spoke design. I'm totally unimpressed that my son was able to ruin all the bearings in three months, and scarily the front wheel bearings actually seized on a ride! But the bearings were cheap and easy to replace. I'm reluctant to buy a new freewheel, which is half the cost of a Shimano cup and cone wheel-set.

Thanks again,
Mark
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I think you need to make a decision, if keep the wheels for "training" or for the "good day".
The first case, I would still advice to flush+soak in oil, by removing the freehub; in the second case you could buy a new freehub, since the wheels were free a £35 purchase ain't bad for a set of mint wheels! :wink:
https://www.i-ride.co.uk/Racing-Sport-F ... -2014.aspx
Mark Berry

Post by Mark Berry »

Yes Gattonero, it's pretty clear that the dilemma is whether to invest in a new freewheel or chuck away an apparently nice wheel in the near future. (It's already had a flush and a week long soak in gear oil, to little effect).

I had kind of hoped that someone on here would tell me straight that these Fulcrum Sports are rubbish, not worth the new bearings I've already fitted and best disposed of when they next fail. You came pretty close to telling me that in your first post!

Thanks, Mark
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mark Berry wrote:Yes Gattonero, it's pretty clear that the dilemma is whether to invest in a new freewheel or chuck away an apparently nice wheel in the near future.

eh...?

(It's already had a flush and a week long soak in gear oil, to little effect).

well, that isn't going to cure free play, is it....????? :shock: :shock:

why not reshim the freehub...?

cheers
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Mark Berry wrote:Yes Gattonero, it's pretty clear that the dilemma is whether to invest in a new freewheel or chuck away an apparently nice wheel in the near future. (It's already had a flush and a week long soak in gear oil, to little effect).

I had kind of hoped that someone on here would tell me straight that these Fulcrum Sports are rubbish, not worth the new bearings I've already fitted and best disposed of when they next fail. You came pretty close to telling me that in your first post!

Thanks, Mark

Well, some people seems to take enjoyment in flogging dead horses, my opinion is that "time VS money" is often the first question one should ask himself.

Those freehubs, very often become rough and noisy because of contamination inside. The loose ball bearing do rust, and so their races in the freehub shell and ball-races. Provided the pawls and their spring do not show damage, if really in need of keeping the existing freehub, you may find a suitable small Dremel grinding stone, to remove the rust and reduce the pitting in the races, and replace the loose bearings.
Depending how bad it was, it may have a decent improvement or be still a bit rough. Seems to increase their lifespan, tho.
It's quite a faff, I've done only a couple of times for wheels that the chap couldn't find a replacement freehub.

If you ask me, I'd buy a new freehub: where can you get a decent set of wheel for £35? :wink:
willcee

Post by willcee »

interesting contris... the flogging dead horses... is something that I fully appreciate, agreed time is money, however like many on here I don't like to be beaten..perhaps like you Gattonero as someone who does work on others machines the cost of labour often focus our minds, better fit /order a new part than fettle the old one..''experto crede''.. will
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Discovered the Shimano LX freehub on my Thorn Audax bike had seized when I checked it a few months after last using it in the winter. Removed the seals and flushed it with some GT85, which got it moving but it still felt rough.

Using a Lidl's Parkside mini grinder tool I made a freehub disassembly tool out of a 13/16" socket (£2.35 off Ebay) following RJ the Bike Guy's YouTube guide. Filed some flats on the socket so I could secure the tool using the quick-release skewer and unscrew the race with a 24mm spanner.

Opened up the freehub and found the races were good but the outer set of freehub bearings were black and imperfect. Replaced them with some new 1/8" ball bearings and White Lightning Crystal Clear Grease and the freehub now runs smooth with no play.

Also checked the Claris freehub on my Bianchi which was fine but should now stay that way longer with the fresh grease. I have loads of time, but not loads of money so will mend and make do when I can.
Attachments
IMG_2662 (450 x 600).jpg
IMG_2658 (600 x 450).jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I've "flogged several hundred pounds worth of dead horse" on my own behalf and much more than this on behalf of other people.

Most brand-new freehubs are not as good as ones that I have serviced and adjusted correctly, and nor do they last as long without further attention.

The idea that you might throw a wheelset away because you can't be bothered to adjust the bearings in a freewheel body properly baffles belief....

cheers
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Erudin wrote:...I have loads of time, but not loads of money so will mend and make do when I can.

That's good to do if you can 8)
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Brucey wrote:I've "flogged several hundred pounds worth of dead horse" on my own behalf and much more than this on behalf of other people.
The idea that you might throw a wheelset away because you can't be bothered to adjust the bearings in a freewheel body properly baffles belief....

cheers

Not sure what you do for living, but even when I was working as a Courier my thoughts were "spending 2-3hrs trying to fix somethign that would still be old, or make 3hrs overtime to make more money and get a new one?"
Besides, the old parts work as spare when in need and no other alternative is on sight.

As I said above, £35 to revive a set of wheels that were given for free, is not exactly "throw a wheelset away" just throw the old freehub away if common means of fixing it would fail. I would like that everyday, to be gifted of a set of wheels that only need a new freehub, where do I sign? :D