Lost key Axa 'nurses lock'

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bmblbzzz

Re: Lost key Axa 'nurses lock'

Post by Bmblbzzz »

BigG wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 11:59am This thread is a good recommendation for the type of lock described. I use them on my touring and everyday bikes and have always believed that they were a good deterrent to would-be thieves. I use a lightweight chain anchored on the Dutch lock closing bar to attach to a convenient post. This deters casual vandalism but no thief is going to want to be seen carrying a locked bike away. Both my locks have captive keys which can only be removed when the lock is closed. They cannot therefore be lost while riding. They hang on a convenient nail in the garage when the bikes are not in use - not easily found in the glory hole that is my garage.
I wouldn't share your optimism on this.
jb

Post by jb »

fastpedaller wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 9:23pm
jb wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 8:16pm Not caring about the damage you do makes a big difference in how fast you can break into something.
Indeed.
I do wonder if my ideal of giving the illusion of security may work.......... Lots of the black plastic chain wrapped around the bike may make teal leaf just go elsewhere. The plastic chain will be nice and light to carry - it may have to be very tightly wrapped if it's a windy day though!
Absolutely, a dozen cheap luggage locks will give a tea leaf a bigger headache than one kryptonite nuclear atomic u lock thingy. Especially if he can't see them all.
Cheers
J Bro
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

fastpedaller wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 9:23pm
jb wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 8:16pm Not caring about the damage you do makes a big difference in how fast you can break into something.
Indeed.
I do wonder if my ideal of giving the illusion of security may work.......... Lots of the black plastic chain wrapped around the bike may make teal leaf just go elsewhere. The plastic chain will be nice and light to carry - it may have to be very tightly wrapped if it's a windy day though!
Interesting idea. As a back-up chain for touring a plastic chain in a self-made sheath might be a good idea. Couldn't be a branded chain/sheath as might be recognised for what it is, a trick. Or could borrow from another lock a branded sheath from something good proper strong.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

Galactic wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 9:32am
PH wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 9:59am The key retention decision already mentioned is the big one,
For me the clincher was imagining locking the bike and putting the key in my pocket. I felt chances that a loose key would fall out of my pocket next time I bent over to tie a shoelace would be much higher than losing a whole keyring of keys.
The conventional Dutch answer to that is to attach the key to a large pom-pom, you see them bobbing along on bikes quite often. I haven't worked out how to then avoid getting filthy pockets,maybe you also need to add a Dutch skirt guard. I have mine on a bit of ribbon, that was going to be temporary...
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

An old inner tube over my cafe stop chain saves the paintwork and suggests that the rather weedy chain inside might be more of a challenge than it actually is. The original plastic sheath became brittle and crumbled after about 20 years of ownership. The padlock is a bit more solid than it needs to be as it was something that I already had when the original one stopped working. It all adds to the illusion. I've gone through quite a few alleged deterrents over the years though none have been put to the ultimate test. This is the one that has lasted. Cheap, simple, adaptable and easy to use with no need for special brackets or anything.
A plastic chain with a couple old of inner tubes over it is an interesting idea as long as there is something else that stops the bike being moved, no matter how lightweight.