Lost key Axa 'nurses lock'

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Philip Benstead

Re: Lost key Axa 'nurses lock'

Post by Philip Benstead »

Mick F wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 12:38pm If the key number isn't known, and a spare key can't be found, all you can do is get a hacksaw to it, I reckon. :cry:

I had to arrange to get a lock cut off, it took 20 minutes with an angle grinder
Last edited by Philip Benstead on 21 Nov 2022, 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Blimey - that's not bad. My bike tends to get locked up outside shops alot so u'm thinking of getting one. Of course I'll note down the key number if I do.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
rjb

Post by rjb »

I removed a U lock from daughters bike after she lost the key. Took no more than five minutes with an angle grinder. No wonder those tea leaves carry portable battery powered ones. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote: 1 Nov 2017, 8:39am

Can't do that these days because we are fully double-glazed with hidden hinges, and the glass panes can only come out internally. Also, we don't have a Yale lock and need to positively lock the front door.
The tea leaves come in through the roof. Especially bungalows with an attached flat roof like a garage. Use a dustbin to hop up on the roof. Lift a couple of tiles, cut the felt and come through the loft hatch or ceiling, in a matter of minutes. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

BigG wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 11:59am This thread is a good recommendation for the type of lock described. I use them on my touring and everyday bikes and have always believed that they were a good deterrent to would-be thieves. I use a lightweight chain anchored on the Dutch lock closing bar to attach to a convenient post. This deters casual vandalism but no thief is going to want to be seen carrying a locked bike away. Both my locks have captive keys which can only be removed when the lock is closed. They cannot therefore be lost while riding. They hang on a convenient nail in the garage when the bikes are not in use - not easily found in the glory hole that is my garage.
Yes have often thought of putting one on one of my tourers (one 700c wheels, other 26 inch) but was concerned may be tricky to fit, especially with racks/all the other gubbins I carry.
Are they easy to fit?
Is it just a matter of choosing a unit for the size of wheel ? - have the idea that there are several variants.
Sweep
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

Just installed one of these on my bike (everyday utility/tourer) because I thought the combination of frame lock with chain would be more suitable for the various varieties of wheelbender bike racks all the shops near me have.

The frame lock itself seems pretty solid, haven't needed to take an angle grinder to it yet, so can't comment on that, but the chain aspect is a little disappointing. After watching a few videos on Youtube where boltcroppers made easy work of the 6mm chain by Abus, I decided to go for the 8mm version. The 80cm length is too short to do much other than loop around a lamppost, so I went for the 100cm chain (it has an eye at one end to loop round itself so you don't need to go there and back again with your chain). Disappointingly the bit you stick in the lock to secure it is counted as part of the 100cm chain length, so it's often a struggle to take the chain down to the bottom of the back wheel where the bike rack is, and it's impossible to loop around the front wheel if you want to take in the rack.

Another, smaller problem is that the frame lock weighs in at 800g, and if you add nearly 2kg for the 100cm 8mm chain, then I've got about 5lbs extra weight on the back of my bike (the chain is kept in a small saddle bag), which along with a Rohloff hub makes my bike very back heavy. I plan to find a frame bag to store the chain further forwards.

If you're thinking of adding a chain, the Abus frame locks will also take the Trelock chains (and presumably vice versa), but the thorn on the Axa chains are too short for Abus and Trelock. Trelock do a longer (and even heavier) 8mm chain. I think it was 140cm long and about 2.5 kg in weight(!)

So while I appreciate not having to get a D-lock through my chainstay and down to the rack (chain oil and dirt all over the lock, and then my fingers, every time), I wish the Abus chain was just 10cm longer. And a bit lighter.
Last edited by Galactic on 22 Nov 2022, 10:01am, edited 1 time in total.
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

Sweep wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 7:59am Are they easy to fit?
Is it just a matter of choosing a unit for the size of wheel ? - have the idea that there are several variants.
Yes, generally no problem fitting them. I looked at the Abus versions, and the various sizes were mainly to accommodate different tire widths (presumably to leave less of a gap to get a jack in).

You also need to decide whether to get one with a key that can only be removed when locked (and is captive when the lock is open), or one where you remove the key after locking/unlocking. I went for the Abus so I could share the key with various other Abus locks in the household.

And there are different security levels and weights.

They bolt onto the underside of the seatstays, so shouldn't interfere with rim brakes. If your bike doesn't have braze-ons for the bolts for the frame lock, you can get jubilee clip type thingies to attach it. The holes for the bolts in the lock are about 5mm long, so can accommodate different widths between the seat stays.

The actual connection to the bike doesn't need to be secure since when the lock is closed you can't remove the back wheel from the frame without spreading the rear triangle (I think that's how it would work).
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Many thansk for all that detailed info Galactic.
Much appreciated.
On second thoughts the weight might put me off - I already tend to carry a ton of junk.
Sweep
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

rjb wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 10:38pm
Mick F wrote: 1 Nov 2017, 8:39am

Can't do that these days because we are fully double-glazed with hidden hinges, and the glass panes can only come out internally. Also, we don't have a Yale lock and need to positively lock the front door.
The tea leaves come in through the roof. Especially bungalows with an attached flat roof like a garage. Use a dustbin to hop up on the roof. Lift a couple of tiles, cut the felt and come through the loft hatch or ceiling, in a matter of minutes. :(
..yes but according to the old testament if they do it in the hours of darkness its okay to kill them :-)
..joke.. whenever the moderators threaten to remove one of my posts that's a sign it's a joke...
Last edited by cycle tramp on 22 Nov 2022, 7:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Sweep wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 6:24pm Many thansk for all that detailed info Galactic.
Much appreciated.
On second thoughts the weight might put me off - I already tend to carry a ton of junk.
..if you're bike is anything like mine.. its a case of 'that thief has stolen my bicycle.. there he is riding away on it... very slowly... oh now he's hit a hill... and he's stopped'
PH

Post by PH »

I have one on my delivery E-bike, for times when it's in sight and not locked to anything else, I'm working on the assumption I can run faster than someone carrying a 30kg machine, so it's purpose is to stop anyone riding off on it.
It's encouraging to know the locks are not easily removed, part of that must be how awkward they are to get at, I think the easiest way to attack them would be the lock barrel rather than the bar.
For anyone thinking of fitting one - The key retention decision already mentioned is the big one, it is handy to always have the key in the unlocked lock, but it commits you to using it every time you leave the bike or risk someone else locking it for you.
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

PH wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 9:59am The key retention decision already mentioned is the big one,
For me the clincher was imagining locking the bike and putting the key in my pocket. I felt chances that a loose key would fall out of my pocket next time I bent over to tie a shoelace would be much higher than losing a whole keyring of keys. That outweighed the practicality of never again arriving at the shops and realising I'd left my keys at home.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that the only person that is unable to undo a lock or breach an alarm is the rightful owner! Lose your bike lock key and you'll not be able to take it off, but a thief will do it in seconds. Your car alarm may prevent you driving your car, but a thief will break in in seconds even if he has to use a brick :(
jb

Post by jb »

Not caring about the damage you do makes a big difference in how fast you can break into something.
Cheers
J Bro
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

jb wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 8:16pm Not caring about the damage you do makes a big difference in how fast you can break into something.
Indeed.
I do wonder if my ideal of giving the illusion of security may work.......... Lots of the black plastic chain wrapped around the bike may make teal leaf just go elsewhere. The plastic chain will be nice and light to carry - it may have to be very tightly wrapped if it's a windy day though!