Tyre Lever in CW advert- Info?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bikepacker

Re: Tyre Lever in CW advert- Info?

Post by bikepacker »

The problem is the hard puncture proof core. Even the strongest hands would not be able to compress it enough for the tool to work.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

The event of 'tubeless compatible' has made tight fits commonplace even if you have no desire to ditch tubes. This has meant I had to raise my game, and despite some tweaks to technique the Tyre Bead Jack was the only sure thing I found. I risked a tenner hoping for similar functionality in a more easily portable package (not a lot to risk, but a lot for a piece of plastic). Sadly this doesn't deliver. It's a shame, because if the jaws were wider to reach the far rim it might do the job (the video never shows the far side). As it is I can use this, but only for fits that I can mange with a hard bit of finger work. So my advice would be, if you're tempted, wait for the MTB version. The dismount lever does work quite well, so at least it avoids premature binning.

Note to self: Ignore Cyclist magazine recommendations in future. In fact that could save me a fortune, because they're normally recommending bikes - in multiplethousands range.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

any more feedback regarding this tool?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

bikepacker wrote:I emailed them and their response was: "I'm very sorry to hear the TyreKey did not work for you on that tyre. We tested and continue to test the tool on many different combinations of tyres and rims, including a Schwalbe hybrid 32c. Evidently our test model has a softer carcass than the Marathon Plus."

Not very satisfactory as I purchased it in good faith on their word it would do up to 35mm tyres. As I have mostly Marathon Plus on my and my wife's bikes this tool is of no use.

Helpful video on fitting Marathon Plus from a few years ago. No tyre levers but a couple of toe straps to help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4
Emphasis is on keeping tyre in rim well. I always finish at the valve because the valve can make it harder to keep the tyre in the well but that's probably a small point.