This could save your life

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rmurphy195

Re: This could save your life

Post by rmurphy195 »

tykeboy2003 wrote:A very interesting read.

If I had been on the jury I would have pressed for a guilty verdict.

Quite so - as I drive a lot, I understand whats needed to see out of a car properly, and to ease off the throttle approaching hazards (inc junctions). It isn't difficult.

What In would like to be able to do is to get the offending driver to repeat the offence, but the cyclist would be replaced by something bigger and heavier. Far heavier.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Lazy dangerous drivers not driving to the rules and going too fast is all it boils down to.
The restricted view aspect is rubbish as an excuse, and as mentioned it doesn't need a stop sign just people who give a stuff about not harming others and taking the time to look and see.
Should have been manslaughter charges given what a certain cyclist was charged with who was actually trying to avoid another person because of their error!
Just goes to show how bent/discriminative the system is against us!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Related questions about driving

When one is in the first lane on the motorway and a lot of vehicles are wanting to join from the near side, - when one is doing the same speed as them, should one choose a d i f f e r e n t speed to make ones vehicle more visible?

I have ocasionally moved over to let them in but I have resolved not to do this cos the idiots then often overtake on the inside, grrr
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
The Highway Code gives guidance to drivers joining the motorway (link)
As a driver on the motorway then circumstances dictate whether I stay in lane 1 or move to lane 2
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tim-b wrote:Hi
As a driver on the motorway then circumstances dictate whether I stay in lane 1 or move to lane 2
Regards
tim-b

If I'm on the motorway in lane 1 and lane 2 is available,why not move over into it to allow vehicles joining the motorway to merge from a slip road onto it,especially if there's more than one and or if they're bigger vehicles that can't accelerate/deccelerate quickly like most cars can.
It seems perfectly logical and safer,to do this to help a better traffic flow from a slip road.
It's the same scenario when approaching a slower vehicle(usually an HGV) in lane 1,and there's also another vehicle also in lane 1 approaching the first slow moving HGV but who's speed is slower than mine.
If I judge that me overtaking the HGV by moving into lane 2,and by doing so will cause the second to slowdown and delay their anticipated overtake of the HGV,I will move over into lane 3 if it's available and providing my doing doesn't cause another vehicle to slow down.
To me those things are good driving practice.
Last edited by reohn2 on 24 Mar 2018, 8:48am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rmurphy195 wrote:
tykeboy2003 wrote:A very interesting read.

If I had been on the jury I would have pressed for a guilty verdict.

Quite so - as I drive a lot, I understand whats needed to see out of a car properly, and to ease off the throttle approaching hazards (inc junctions). It isn't difficult.

What In would like to be able to do is to get the offending driver to repeat the offence, but the cyclist would be replaced by something bigger and heavier. Far heavier.

Quite likely the outcome would have been different cos the moton could see his 'Unfallpartner' (German word, 'crash partner') :?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
tim-b wrote:Hi
Regards
tim-b

If I'm on the motorway in lane 1 and lane 2 is available,why not move over into it to allow vehicles joining the motorway to merge from a slip road onto it,especially if there's more than one and or if they're bigger vehicles that can't accelerate/deccelerate quickly like most cars can.
It seems perfectly logical and safer,to do this to help a better traffic flow from slip road.
It's the same scenario when approaching a slower vehicle(usually an HGV) in lane 1,and there's also another vehicle in lane 1 approaching the first slow moving HGV.
If I judge that me overtaking the HGV by moving into lane 2,and by doing so will cause the second to slowdown and delay their anticipated overtake of the HGV,I will move over to lane 3 if it's available providing my doing doesn't cause another vehicle to slow down.

In theory yes, in practice no? Often the speeds are similar, traffic is heavy, merging/joining traffic is not leaving gaps
For worthy reasons I drive a small car with a small engine and am often overtaken on the inside when I have moved briefly into lane 2, the idiots do not bother to wait one second
You explained that to me r2, about how mortons try to bully you when driving the Micra (I learnt to drive in a Micra, it was big to me then), Diolch. Another reason I love these fora, it was obvious but you formulated it

Sometimes I wish I still had my 1984 Cavalier 1.6GL :wink:
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 16 Aug 2020, 11:56am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:In theory yes, in practice no?
Often the speeds are similar, traffic is heavy, merging/joining traffic is not leaving gaps

In practice most of the time,if traffic is heavy and I can't move over to lane 2 then I don't.
It's that simple.
In that case I leave as bigger gap as I can between me and the vehicle in front,to help vehicles on the slip road merge.

For worthy reasons I drive a small car with a small engine and am often overtaken on the inside, the idiots do not bother to wait one second
You explained that to me r2,

If you mean vehicles merging from the slip road into lane 1,yes I have that happen,it's their bad not mine,and as long as I'm prepared for loonie moves then all's well and all part of driving.
I have a simple rule when driving,I treat all other road users as potential idiots and lunatics,I'm aware that all aren't but I can't tell which is which,so drive as if all are,and always try to expect the unexpected.
....motons try to bully you when driving the Micra (I learnt to drive in a Micra, it was big to me then)....

Mrs R2 had a red Micra for years.At the same time I had a white Mondeo estate,I never got bullied in the Mondeo and similarly so when I had LWB Tranit vans.
But things changed the minute I drove the Micra,so yes I'm very familiar with the bullying tactics of other drivers.

Sometimes I wish I still had my 1984 Cavalier 1.6GL :wink:

We had two of those,two Carltons and an Omega,all good cars :) .
W H Auden
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

It seems perfectly logical and safer,to do this to help a better traffic flow from a slip road.
It's the same scenario when approaching a slower vehicle(usually an HGV) in lane 1,and there's also another vehicle also in lane 1 approaching the first slow moving HGV but who's speed is slower than mine.
If I judge that me overtaking the HGV by moving into lane 2,and by doing so will cause the second to slowdown and delay their anticipated overtake of the HGV,I will move over into lane 3 if it's available and providing my doing doesn't cause another vehicle to slow down.

So circumstances dictate that I'd move to lane 2 (or more), and if it's a faster vehicle joining into a safe gap, then circumstances dictate that I'd stay in lane 1 :wink:
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tim-b wrote:

So circumstances dictate that I'd move to lane 2 (or more), and if it's a faster vehicle joining into a safe gap, then circumstances dictate that I'd stay in lane 1 :wink:
Regards
tim-b

Well yes I agree,but what usually happens with the undertaker who's joining the motorway is they are still accelerating whilst on the slip road,and their cruising speed isn't reached (which is usually faster than the legal limit) after they've finished their manoeuvre into lane 1.
I'm making no excuses for their driving standard/behaviour but I'd rather have such loonies in front of me and out of my way than behind me getting frustrated by my legal limit pace :wink:
W H Auden
peetee

Post by peetee »

I know that Ipley junction well. Traffic approaching from any direction has a clear view of ALL approaching traffic. Many drivers that should give way are merely glancing either way and don't bother to slow if they don't see anything. Given this is in the New Forest National Park the best solution would be sympathetic planting to break up the sight lines. As for the comments regarding vehicle blind spots, they concern me a great deal. My wife's C8 people mover has a colossal A pillar and poor weather adds an equally wide section of unswept windscreen alongside it which is just inexcusable. On approach to many roundabouts you have to shuffle in your seat to check for invisible vehicles that track the A pillar as the road arcs left at the give way
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Video summarising Bez’s work.
[youtube]SYeeTvitvFU[/youtube]

Tom usually tries pretty hard to find people, Is Bez ok?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert

Worth watching the video again, nearly all the drivers passing can not read the STOP sign :?
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Why not just put up a solar powered camera to catch the drivers not stopping at the stop line? Or a few signs on the approach with the diagrams from that video, highlighting the blind spot behind the pillar?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What, allow them to break the law, then punish them, or expect them to learn to read? No, the junction should be changed so it can only be negotiated at low speed, as explained in the video