What is stopping women from cycling?

brynpoeth

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby brynpoeth » 10 May 2018, 3:42pm

That is a lot of categories, we only have Friend and Foe here
Might one suggest a third category, Family?
People one loves to hate :wink:

Generally one might opine that the differences within the groups might be greater than the differences between the groups
Alternative facts welcome .. Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

crazydave789

Postby crazydave789 » 13 May 2018, 10:15pm

My missus says she doesn't feel safe, my neighbours daughters are driven everywhere because the parents don't think it is safe. they do however have a foster child who they want to learn to cycle properly. I just hope I can keep up.

that said I often don't feel safe. too many idiots with licences who don't look where they are going and uninsured unlicensed drivers on the roads who don't care.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 13 May 2018, 10:41pm

I always feel safe ...
This is England ..not Afganistan, Iraq, or Mexico ...
We are safe.
If you want invent danger to control your family go
ahead ...
Invent bogey men, stranger danger, et al.
Terrify the kids ...
Cycling's dangerous, swimming is dangerous and so on.
They are actually more at risk from parents and family than strangers or kayaks.
The best wave of my life is still out there.

crazydave789

Postby crazydave789 » 14 May 2018, 12:50am

landsurfer wrote:I always feel safe ...
We are safe.
ahead ...
Terrify the kids ...
They are actually more at risk from parents and family than strangers or kayaks.

<moderated>

I agree though that for us it is mainly because we are townies or country folk not city dwellers and they drive like idiots here. Not that the cyclists do anything to improve matters. for the neighbours it's cotton wool syndrome.

gnvqsos

Postby gnvqsos » 18 May 2018, 9:44pm

I always feel safe ...
We are safe.
ahead ...
Terrify the kids ...
'An old Tiger is still a Tiger"
Graham Obree.

I just love poetry,but had no idea Graham Obree had a second career churning out verse.I really like the bit about kayaks,even though I do not understand it.

QueenClaudia

Postby QueenClaudia » 30 May 2018, 4:47pm

I love cycling along country lanes and we are very lucky and have a lot of them on our doorstep.

What puts me off most are the truck drivers who drive aggresively and far too closely in an intimidating way.

Maybe most male cyclists would probably just be mildly annoyed and brush it off but being a lone female on a bike in the middle of nowhere I feel quite vulnerable.

gnvqsos

Postby gnvqsos » 30 May 2018, 11:20pm

I love cycling along country lanes and we are very lucky and have a lot of them on our doorstep.

What puts me off most are the truck drivers who drive aggresively and far too closely in an intimidating way.

Maybe most male cyclists would probably just be mildly annoyed and brush it off but being a lone female on a bike in the middle of nowhere I feel quite vulnerable."

Do you, live in the remote countryside and still get lorries?Is it possilbe to drive too closely without being intimidating?having had numerous lifts from truckers I think you are misrepresenting them,and generalising about their conduct

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 31 May 2018, 5:46am

The vast majority of lgv drivers break the law, the maximum speed limit on single-carriageway roads and following distances for example
Alternative facts welcome .. Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 2 Jun 2018, 9:15am

gnvqsos wrote:Do you, live in the remote countryside and still get lorries?Is it possilbe to drive too closely without being intimidating?having had numerous lifts from truckers I think you are misrepresenting them,and generalising about their conduct

Yes, lorries do exist in the countryside. Because there's stuff moving between towns via the country, from the country to towns and vice versa in large quantities, and that's what lorries are for.

That you've found drivers amenable to giving lifts is, I would suggest, not much to do with the feelings of other folk being overtaken by them on bikes.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

QueenClaudia

Postby QueenClaudia » 3 Jun 2018, 7:48am

gnvqsos wrote:

Maybe most male cyclists would probably just be mildly annoyed and brush it off but being a lone female on a bike in the middle of nowhere I feel quite vulnerable."

Do you, live in the remote countryside and still get lorries?Is it possilbe to drive too closely without being intimidating?having had numerous lifts from truckers I think you are misrepresenting them,and generalising about their conduct

Not remote countryside as I live in a semi rural village and unfortunately these trucks use them as a short cut often driving at high speeds. They have little consideration for anyone else.

I don't think I can misenterpet an angry snarling face and two fingers up at me in the air whilst dangerously overtaking me.

Wanlock Dod

Postby Wanlock Dod » 3 Jun 2018, 8:26am

QueenClaudia wrote:What puts me off most are the truck drivers who drive aggresively and far too closely in an intimidating way.

Me too, although I clearly can't speak for all male cyclists. Though to be honest however carefully driven they are I always find very large vehicles rather intimidating as a cyclist. Deliberate aggression just makes it utterly terrifying rather than very scary.
Maybe I'm just a bit of a wuss, but I don't think I know any proper hardmen that cycle.

gnvqsos

Postby gnvqsos » 3 Jun 2018, 11:30pm

I think people are demonising lorry drivers.I really dont know how someone can claim the majority break the law.I do feel that more people need to stick to dedicated cycle paths,and leave the roads clear for the grown-ups.I bet the same people who winge buy goods from Amazon,order groceries online and generally participate in commercial transactions involving merchandise brought by lorries.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 4 Jun 2018, 2:09am

gnvqsos wrote:I think people are demonising lorry drivers.I really dont know how someone can claim the majority break the law.I do feel that more people need to stick to dedicated cycle paths,and leave the roads clear for the grown-ups.I bet the same people who winge buy goods from Amazon,order groceries online and generally participate in commercial transactions involving merchandise brought by lorries.

Easy to verify
Try observing traffic at a STOP sign, almost all drivers can not read
Almost all lgv drivers exceed the maximum speed limit (40 mph) on single-carriageway roads

Grownups are those who obey the law when driving (a tiny minority) or cycling, IMHO

Wanlock Dod

Postby Wanlock Dod » 4 Jun 2018, 8:23am

gnvqsos wrote:I think people are demonising lorry drivers...

They cause a disproportionately large number of fatalities, not only to cyclists but other road users too. Everybody has good reason to fear them, but that's not demonisation it's just the facts. It's the ones that deliberately set out to intimidate people, to the point that folks are put off cycling for a week/month/year/lifetime, that get remembered the most though. Anybody that cycles on the road a bit will have had an extremely scary incident with an HGV even though many of them are probably just poor driving rather than deliberately dangerous.
Some of the news reports don't seem too encouraging...
Rise in lorry tachograph tampering on UK roads
10,000 haulage firms on safety 'red list'
The standard 44 tonne HGV, which is the industry workhorse, causes 136,000 times more damage to road infrastructure than a Ford Focus because the damaging power rises exponentially as weight increases – a phenomenon known as the ‘Generalised Fourth Power Law’.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 Jun 2018, 10:13am

gnvqsos wrote:.......I do feel that more people need to stick to dedicated cycle paths,.......

Even when those cyclepaths are badly designed,aren't maintained are strewn with broken glass and other litter such as dog faeces disgarded pizza boxes(usually thown from passing cars),or overgrown with brambles and weeds?

and leave the roads clear for the grown-ups

So what in your mind constitutes as being grown up,driving a car or lorry perhaps?
Does that mean you regard cycling as some childish toy to play on :?

I bet the same people who winge buy goods from Amazon,order groceries online and generally participate in commercial transactions involving merchandise brought by lorries.

TBH I very rarely have problems with HGV's or their drivers(though in recent years I've noticed a drop in HGV driving standards),it's more likely to be a significant minority of childish car drivers who mistakenly believe they have the right to abuse me because I'm riding a bicycle :twisted:
Last edited by reohn2 on 4 Jun 2018, 11:09am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.