What is stopping women from cycling?

Vorpal

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby Vorpal » 13 Mar 2019, 9:00am

I do think awavey has a point. I don't buy into the idea that one needs to sprint to compete with motor traffic, but lots of people do. John Franklin wrote something to that affect, though not using those words, in Cyclecraft (which I can't be bothered to look up at the moment).

The British government has encouraged this kind of thinking by focusing on vehicular cycling and training, instead of investing in cycle-friendly infrastructure.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 13 Mar 2019, 9:13am

Vorpal wrote:.
The British government has encouraged this kind of thinking by focusing on vehicular cycling and training, instead of investing in cycle-friendly infrastructure.

I disagree,the British government completely out of focus on any kind of cycling other than how many medals pro cyclists bring home from the Olympics :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 13 Mar 2019, 9:25am

reohn2 wrote:

I disagree,the British government completely out of focus on any kind of cycling other than how many medals pro cyclists bring home from the Olympics :?

That's a fair point, though I would argue that higher focus has been on motoring than anything related to cycling.

But I guess I should have been clearer, and said something like, 'When it comes to cycling, the British government have focused on...' because it gets talked about repeatedly. They make official policy about it. But words are cheap.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 13 Mar 2019, 9:29am

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

That's a fair point, though I would argue that higher focus has been on motoring than anything related to cycling.

But I guess I should have been clearer, and said something like, 'When it comes to cycling, the British government have focused on...' because it gets talked about repeatedly. They make official policy about it. But words are cheap.

I think we're in total agreement,in that the UK government couldn't give a monkey's for cycling or cyclists,I live in a backward country on so many levels it gets depressing at times.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 13 Mar 2019, 12:08pm

Vorpal wrote:I do think awavey has a point. I don't buy into the idea that one needs to sprint to compete with motor traffic, but lots of people do. John Franklin wrote something to that affect, though not using those words, in Cyclecraft (which I can't be bothered to look up at the moment).

Don't have a copy to hand, but I'm pretty certain it does suggest that a good turn of speed can be useful. Which is correct, but "useful" and "essential" aren't the same thing. I do have a good turn of speed most of the time if needed, but if I've got a heavy load in the back of the 8-freight I won't be picking up any sprint bonus seconds, yet I can still "do" vehicular cycling with it.

Vorpal wrote:The British government has encouraged this kind of thinking by focusing on vehicular cycling and training, instead of investing in cycle-friendly infrastructure.

The key point being, I think, is it's very easy to say "cycling, yes, we have Bikeability now so box ticked, aren't we marvellous, hurrah" and move on to something "important". Training, especially as implemented in the UK, costs the government roughly zip. They provide a scheme where it's easy to flag up successes because nobody is looking at the long term effects (or rather, the lack thereof). Bikeability has the problem that it's clearly a Good Thing so people are positive about it, but in the bigger picture it's pretty much irrelevant as things stand. One, maybe two, cheers for Bikeability! It provides a useful leg-up for the sort of people who are going to be in the 2% of modal share anyway.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Mar 2019, 1:25pm

pjclinch wrote: The key point being, I think, is it's very easy to say "cycling, yes, we have Bikeability now so box ticked, aren't we marvellous, hurrah" and move on to something "important".

Except we don't have bike ability. Last I heard, Norfolk county council is still teaching its revised cycling proficiency in many schools, claiming national standard compliance (barely on paper, reportedly not in prescribe), the DfT seem impotent and it's a big ask to make something as double niche as this an election issue.
Last edited by mjr on 13 Mar 2019, 1:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 13 Mar 2019, 1:37pm

(deleted double post)
Last edited by pjclinch on 13 Mar 2019, 1:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 13 Mar 2019, 1:37pm

mjr wrote:
pjclinch wrote:The key point being, I think, is it's very easy to say "cycling, yes, we have Bikeability now so box ticked, aren't we marvellous, hurrah" and move on to something "important".

Except we don't have bike ability. Last I heard, Norfolk county council is still teaching its revised cycling proficiency in many schools, claiming national standard compliance (barely on paper, reportedly not in prescribe), the DfT seem impotent and it's a big ask to make something as double niche as this an election issue.

But they're Ticking A Box, that's what really matters! :(

Wanlock Dod

Postby Wanlock Dod » 13 Mar 2019, 1:57pm

A series of Twitter posts by Rachel Aldred on why women don’t cycle.

Most of the first few posts seem to be about infrastructure issues.