Record attempt scheduled

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
ratherbeintobago

Re: Record attempt scheduled

Post by ratherbeintobago »

The thought occurred through all of this that a LeJog record attempt would make a good short film if Rapha or someone was interested.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

To state the obvious, a successful RRA record attempt depends on the weather as the courses are not out-and-home. One of the End-to-End hard riders (toontra?) has made the point that not everybody has the luxury of being able to wait for the right forecast. I suppose most have some parameters, if only things like wanting to ride when the days are longest.

In spite of Michael Fish jokes etc., weather forecasting now seems more accurate than ever. AIUI, in this case it was always forecast that the helpful wind blowing up the west coast was coming back down the east. I fancy that apart from the slowing effects of bad wearher, especially headwinds, the "unfairness" of it must play on the mind and that will be more so with the effects of lost sleep later in an attempt

Anyway, hats off to a courageous effort.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

She did go out with a blistering pace compared to previous attempts, perhaps the tank was empty by the time she got to past Edinburgh? Couped with the second night and finally the headwind??

Done it myself too often!!
ratherbeintobago

Jamesh wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 2:48pm She did go out with a blistering pace compared to previous attempts, perhaps the tank was empty by the time she got to past Edinburgh? Couped with the second night and finally the headwind??

Done it myself too often!!
I wondered about that - was she riding with a power meter? I also wonder how much effect the banking about at LE waiting for the weather to improve had.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Other views are available:
Jamesh wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 10:30pm She's got a good bank of time which is good and hopefully get into jog before the headwinds build.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 12:21pm The thought occurred through all of this that a LeJog record attempt would make a good short film if Rapha or someone was interested.
Strangely with this attempt I was the only one out on the summit. It felt a bit lonely and my thoughts filled with memories of Damon Peacock. A lovely guy who made those short films you request.
If you didn’t know Damon you’ll find him on YouTube. A 20min film of the mens record and loads of cycling events I even feature in one 25 years ago. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Paulatic wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 3:56pm
ratherbeintobago wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 12:21pm The thought occurred through all of this that a LeJog record attempt would make a good short film if Rapha or someone was interested.
Strangely with this attempt I was the only one out on the summit. It felt a bit lonely and my thoughts filled with memories of Damon Peacock. A lovely guy who made those short films you request.
If you didn’t know Damon you’ll find him on YouTube. A 20min film of the mens record and loads of cycling events I even feature in one 25 years ago. :D
Reading 'tobago's post also made me think of Damon. (I think he interviewed me at the start of a 24, but I clearly wasn't charismatic enough to make the edit!)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Particularly if it added some attempts in history to give some context to modern equipment and support. I am thinking of the immediate post WW2 years when food was still rationed as was fuel for support vehicles; vehicles that could be counted on to break down several times over the course.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've a memory of a very interesting video of John Woodburn's ride.

I became an avid reader of everything to do with cycling in 1958 when the EtoE record was broken twice in under a month. I remember assuming somebody was having a go at it every week. FWIW, I see Christina Mackenzie's current women's record is some five minutes inside Dave Keeler's mark from 1958. As has been noted, a lot has changed over the years including a chunk chopped off the distance, but these are magnificent feats. imo
ratherbeintobago

mattheus wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 2:28pm
ratherbeintobago wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 1:36pm Ah yes - TCR starts tomorrow night, doesn’t it?
Sunday night I *think* - timed so they can all watch the Champs Elysees coverage before the off??
I've started a TCR thread (as I can't find another one) here if anyone is interested.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Reflecting on things that have changed for RRA record attempts, I believe one thing is the relaxation of the rules banning advanced publicity.

I've probably posted before about reading something (by Duffers?) saying that during a Woodburn EtoE ride, he sensed that the rider was getting a bit down (probably somewhere in what's now Cumbria) so he got ahead of the rider and risked getting the customers in a roadside boozer to turn out and cheer. Once they had grasped that JW had just ridden from LE and planned to continue to JoG there were plenty of enthusiastic cheerers.

Compare that with the successful Edinburgh - London ride last October when 24HRMATHS was almost swept along by the roadside support. As a mathematician, I imagine he could represent the effect of that in graphic form.

So to all those planning attempts, please pretty please use the available IT to publicise everything - within RRA rules - especially the live tracking and you will be rewarded by us mere mortals trying to raise your spirits from the roadside.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Another attempt planned soon if the weather is ok. Michelle Lee. I'll add more when I find out.
ratherbeintobago

mattsccm wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 5:59pm Another attempt planned soon if the weather is ok. Michelle Lee. I'll add more when I find out.
Very good!

I wonder if Chris Murray came unglued because of the weather - hanging about at the start waiting for the best conditions, then foul weather in the far north…
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Paulatic wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 10:35pm Your life is safe :D
Anything I say is pure speculation dear reader.
@mattsccm How’s Michelle Lee doing is she getting the miles in :wink:
Good thinking eh :wink:
I reckon it was purely the weather that broke Christina. She was looking as good as anyone I’ve seen pass me. How many times did the Scottish climate break Hoppo?
I think Christina MacKenzie living in Scotland has more of an inkling as to what Scotland can throw at you.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Michelle's window is 19th to 30th of this month. Was like a bloomimg whippet on our day trip to Weston from the Forest of Dean on Tuesday and last nights club run.