Clocks Going Forward

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Clocks Going Forward

Post by Mick F »

I did the final clock yesterday afternoon ................. the car.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The car is still out :)
Sometimes I / we don't bother, last weekend on sunday I was confused for a moment when the car and my seldom used watch were both out as we went to a shop which would be closed by 4pm, but we were on time any way :) once in you still have 30 minutes to finish shop (4.30 kick out), we arrived at 3pm car said 2pm....we left home after 2pm :?
I am sure I am not the only one who cant be bothered.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mercalia wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
The tip from pros on taking photos is to take more of them.

Photo editing is a doddle nowadays with computers, enhance and crop.

I borrowed a digi camera for a while................colour was bloody awful, this was £400 but in 90's.................

Just recently bought a digi camera for £30 of ebay second hand........does everything.

Had several kodak digi cameras, they don't last long before they pack up....

well my experience has been the opposite. though i have stuck to a particular 5mp model easyshare cx750

I think I still have both.......CX7330 & Z885.........I do.........the first the exposure went, all washed out and coloured tint, the second 8mp suffered like the other/s that battery connection was poor and you needed high capacity AA batts, as you know rechargeables are 1.2v!
Thank goodness for lithium......................went with Kodak thinking safe, current are two second hand Samsung both little used, one pass me down one off ebay, people change their cameras like they do their this seasons clothes...............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here we go again! :D

It occurred to me earlier, that we stay in BST for seven months and GMT for five months. I'd always (unthinkingly) considered it 6/6.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

My espresso machine, being automatic, has a clock in it (so that the espresso can run on time? C.f. Mussolini). (We apologise for the late arrival of that joke.) Anyway: this morning, while my tea is brewing, I switch the thing on to spring it forward, and of course it goes through its warm-up cycle, burp-burping out a cupful of smelly hot water in the process. Then it says "EMPTY GROUNDS CONTAINER". OK, ok, I pull the box out, knock it out into the bin, put it back. Then it says "FILL TANK". So I fill the tank and shove that back in. Then, not wanting a coffee, I switch the damn thing off without setting the time.

Aargh.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thread resurrection .........

Just moved the clocks forward in the living room ........... early, I know, but my brain can sort it out before going to bed.
The bathroom, the kitchen, both the cars need moving too, but they can wait.

Why the heck do we alter the clocks twice a year?
My opinion is that we should either leave them, or shift them half an hour and forget it.

............. but I'm repeating myself.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Did you forget the 4 intermediate years. :shock:

It could be the last time as I see several European countries and the USA are considering scrapping this meaningless task.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-sen ... 022-03-15/

I can manage the 2 clocks and central heating timer but all those bike computers :shock: . Anyway I must crack on, early night tonite.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 9:52am I've always been interested in mechanical clocks. I used to tinker with stuff as a kid, and by the time I was in my early teens, I was fixing clocks.

Late father-in-law was a manager at a small engineering firm in Lancashire, and they brought in a new electronic clocking-on device, so the old mechanical one became redundant. He brought it home and gave it to me.

It wasn't long after we married - 1974 when we lived in Scotland - and I brought it home and got it going and placed it on the top of the landing upstairs. First issue I had to deal with, was that F-i-L hadn't thought to collect the keys! Firstly, the front door was locked, so I had to cut the lock off, and secondly, I had to make a key to wind it up! :lol:

Any road up, it's been ticking away since then. It's seen eight different houses, seen both girls as babies right through to marrying and leaving home. It's never skipped a beat, and we've had it for nearly 45years. Not sure how old it is, maybe a 1940s clock.

The ink roller is nigh-on dried up now, so if you put a card in the slot and work the handle, you get a faint set of numbers. They are red if you are late for your shift, or blue if you are early. There's a cam system that you can alter for the shift patterns. Also, there's a AM/PM stamp next to the 12hr time.

The timing system at the base of the clock is rod-driven from the clock mechanism at the top, which has two very strong springs. Unusually for a clock, they are wound anti-clockwise, and the springs are so strong, you need two hands to wind it them.$matches[2]$matches[2]IMG_0365.JPGIf you look at the serial number bottom left of this sticker, it could possibly be a 1952 overhaul sticker.
Back in the 60's one like that was the bane of my life, I hated the thing. Arriving 5 minutes late you were stopped 15 min pay. What annoyed me most was if I stayed 5 minutes after my shift I didn't get anything for it. I hated leaving an almost finished job until the next day so I think lateness at both ends of the day evened out.
After I'd been there some time the foreman realised this and if I missed the clock he told me to take it to him and he's sign me in.
I still hated the thing and did think about sabotaging it. :lol:
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Returning to DST, yesterday was the shortest day of the year.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Audax67 wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 8:27am Returning to DST, yesterday was the shortest day of the year.
:lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

Unless your in Lebanon. What's the time there?

Lebanon time zones: Partial clock change causes confusion - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-65079574
steve.y.griffith

Post by steve.y.griffith »

Interesting debate I am sure I read somewhere that during WW2 we had summer time 2 hours ahead of GMT on the grounds it helped with the harvest . I think all the hassle is worth it on the grounds of reduced accidents especially drivers in the rush hour and kids going to school.
Time zones on the lack of them can be confusing I remember travelling in Siberia where public clocks I had two hour hands one for local and one for Moscow time . China only has Beijing time which in the east of the country so Xinjiang which would be 3/4 time zones to the West has very strange time ie sun rises and sets very late . ( they tried a summer time in the late 80,s but it just caused huge confusion so was quietly dropped)

Trivia note in Petts Wood Kent there is memorial to the inventor of U.K. Summer Time .
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

steve.y.griffith wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 2:44pm Interesting debate I am sure I read somewhere that during WW2 we had summer time 2 hours ahead of GMT on the grounds it helped with the harvest . I think all the hassle is worth it on the grounds of reduced accidents especially drivers in the rush hour and kids going to school.
Time zones on the lack of them can be confusing I remember travelling in Siberia where public clocks I had two hour hands one for local and one for Moscow time . China only has Beijing time which in the east of the country so Xinjiang which would be 3/4 time zones to the West has very strange time ie sun rises and sets very late . ( they tried a summer time in the late 80,s but it just caused huge confusion so was quietly dropped)

Trivia note in Petts Wood Kent there is memorial to the inventor of U.K. Summer Time .
Would we not get the same benefit by simply changing school start times over winter?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

steve.y.griffith wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 2:44pm Interesting debate I am sure I read somewhere that during WW2 we had summer time 2 hours ahead of GMT on the grounds it helped with the harvest .
British Double Summer Time:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_S ... _deviation

Jonathan