Clocks Going Forward

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
softlips

Re: Clocks Going Forward

Post by softlips »

Slight drift but Singapore (and some other countries) pay 1/13th of peoples salary each month except December when they pay 2/13ths. Seems a good idea.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 10:16am ...
If all months were the same length, the seasons would change over the years. Let's say 30day months, or even 28day months?
Instead of late December being mid winter, it would slowly change to September, then August etc etc.
The years would get less boring and repetitive.
With true lunar calendars the dates of the seasons do rotate. And there are and have been plenty of those around.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_calendar

But most of them seem to end up as lunisolar calendars so that the dates of the seasons stay (roughly) constant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunisolar_calendar

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Slight drift but Singapore (and some other countries) pay 1/13th of peoples salary each month except December when they pay 2/13ths. Seems a good idea.
I’ve always been paid 4-weekly, and it operates as a sort of compulsory savings scheme, because once a year (date slowly rotating over the years), one gets a “free month”, where two pay days occur within a month, during which all the regular bills only have to b paid once. When we had a chunky mortgage to pay, the difference in that month was very significant.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We OAPs get our pension paid four-weekly on a Tuesday.
Me and Mrs Mick F are two weeks apart so we get an OAP every two weeks.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My OAP is paid 4 weekly on a Friday, my wifes suddenly changed itself to weekly on a Monday, no idea why?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

softlips wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 4:24pm Slight drift but Singapore (and some other countries) pay 1/13th of peoples salary each month except December when they pay 2/13ths. Seems a good idea.
The history and geography:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteenth_salary

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AIUI, it was the Truck Acts which led to "wage earners" in the UK having the right to weekly payment in cash. Anybody who remembers the TV panel game What's My Line? will know that somebody's status as eg wage earning, salaried, was a significant clue in identifying their job.

The Old Age Pension - as was - was paid on the same basis.

When Harold Wilson decided to buy a bit of popularity with OAPs, he called his handout a Christmas Bonus, rather than a benefit etc.

I'm not up-to-date with the current pension regs, but at one point when people became eligible for their state pension, they were actively deceived into believing they had to agree to monthly payment. It was only through knowledge of the regulations that they could be aware of their right to weekly payment in cash and even then, it was a struggle to assert that right.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 9:17am We OAPs get our pension paid four-weekly on a Tuesday.
Me and Mrs Mick F are two weeks apart so we get an OAP every two weeks.
That's like ours. When I applied I had a phone call from the pension office to set mine up with an interim payment then pay it 2 weeks after Mrs Rjb's so we get a payment of 4 weeks pension every 2 weeks on a Monday. :D
We get the £10 Xmas bonus but no letter advising us this year. That must save them a couple of quid. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
sjs

Post by sjs »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 4:49pm Just stay on GMT... If northern towns (and that includes all the way to to the north most bits of the orkneys and anything beyond) want to have their school day start at 10 am then they should do so.
Now that many of the clocks people rely on are self-adjusting (computers, phones, etc) we could have gradual adjustment so that sunset (or sunrise, for Mick) at some standard location, Plymouth for instance, would be at the same time every day.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chronological Equinox.

When is it?

Now we've moved the clocks forward one hour, it's still broad daylight at 19:15 when it isn't at 07:15.
Fine eh?

However, I understand about Lat and Long effecting sunrise/sunset and how it's later the further west etc ............ but we haven't reached Chronological Equinox here yet.
Maybe other folk in other parts of UK already have?
Mick F. Cornwall
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Are you sure about that Mick? Maybe your curtains were shut?

Plymouth: April 4th sunrise 06:47, sunset 19:53.

You are well past chronological equinox, you have 13 hrs and 6 minutes of daylight!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Nope.

Meteorological sunrise and sunset do not dictate daylight.
It depends on topography when sunrise and sunset occur.

Depending where you live, dictates "equinox".
We haven't reached it yet. Had we moved the clocks (perhaps) half an hour, we would be there about now.
Mick F. Cornwall
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Mick F wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 8:41pmWe haven't reached it yet. Had we moved the clocks (perhaps) half an hour, we would be there about now.
Moving the clocks affects the relative amounts of daylight and darkness ?

I wish I'd known that 50 years ago ...
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Mick F wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 8:41pm Nope.

We haven't reached it yet. Had we moved the clocks (perhaps) half an hour, we would be there about now.
So to a maritime analogy; you are in a small boat in mid ocean and there is a long, high, ocean swell running. It is sunrise and the golden orb is visible just coming over the horizon when you are on top of the wave. As you disappear into the wave trough you can no longer see the currant bun. It is then no longer daylight?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

SimonCelsa wrote: 5 Apr 2023, 5:25am
Mick F wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 8:41pm Nope.

So to a maritime analogy; you are in a small boat in mid ocean and there is a long, high, ocean swell running. It is sunrise and the golden orb is visible just coming over the horizon when you are on top of the wave. As you disappear into the wave trough you can no longer see the currant bun. It is then no longer daylight?
And more of the same from 2014:
viewtopic.php?p=825164#p825164

Jonathan