Clocks Going Forward

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Clocks Going Forward

Post by Mick F »

I will be putting our clocks forward tomorrow morning.
Computers and phones all do it automatically of course ............. and my Garmins via GPS.

Kitchen, workshop, bathroom clocks are analogue battery clocks, so have to be wound forwards.
Living room has three pendulum clocks, and also have to be wound forwards.
Car digital clock has to be adjusted manually.

That's just our house!
The job will take me maybe ten minutes.
Putting them back in the autumn takes much longer because the pendulum clocks have to be stopped for an hour to restart them.

I wonder how many clocks have to be altered nationally every six months?
How many man-hours are involved per annum?
Mick F. Cornwall
fausto copy

Re: Clocks Going Forward

Post by fausto copy »

On my hundred-year-old pendulum clock I simply wind the hands around the eleven hours in the autumn.
Is there a problem with doing this, rather than stopping them?

fausto.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, you can move them forward 11hrs ................... but we have an old clocking-on clock as well.
Moving if forward 11hrs would mean it's PM when it should be AM, and the clock would be half a day forwards.
The mechanism will record the day and time as well as AM and PM and also shift work times.

I would have to move it forward a week! :D
IMG_0361.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
We have another two clocks in a box un-used for many years but in good condition.

One is a Westminster Chimes.
This needs to be set at the correct quarter hour to work properly.

The other is a mantle clock with a strike at the half-hour and an hour strike.
This has a system where the half hours and hours have be be in sync with the fingers. if you move the fingers manually before the half hour or hour has had a chance to do its thing, it completely upsets it and takes a bit of tinkering moving the minute hand back and forth to get it back into sync.

I know I'm a bit eccentric about clocks ......... we had fifteen once! ........... but nationally, there must be millions of clocks that need altering every six months.

We stayed overnight at a hotel the other night. They have maybe half a dozen grandfather clocks distributed on the landings and hallways. They must employ a clock-minder-winder! Sounds like a job for me? :D
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

I like noisy clocks but have never had one.
Si

Post by Si »

Its a relief for us...we have the noisiest, most annoying clock of all.....our cat never managed to adapt to the change last autumn and so violently demands his breakfast an hour before its time to get up.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I'd forgotten Mrs. Mick was still keeping an eye on your working hours Mick. :wink:

Although now profoundly deaf and can't hear clocks ticking any more, I recall one lovely B&B we stayed in near Chew Valley lake a few years ago. The chap must have had over a dozen grandfather clocks with full working chimes.
I don't think I slept a wink :evil:
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I restored our ancestral grandfather clock in the early 90s. It was lacking the bell - removed when it stood in an office in the 1930s and subsequently lost - but I found one on a flea-market that fitted perfectly.

After it had been working for a week I removed it again.

Anyway, re springing forward: I have 8 cameras, some of which do it automatically and some of which don't. I can never remember which is which so I have to check them all. :(

Maybe I should just set them to UTC and to hell with it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Audax67 wrote:I restored our ancestral grandfather clock in the early 90s.....

Was it too large for the shelf? :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFXhn9mMB0
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My Casio Waveceptor watch will adjust itself automatically at 2 am. I am not stopping up to check on it…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rjb

Post by rjb »

The clock in my Hyundai i10 updates itself. You just have to turn on the radio and when it's gets its RDS signal usually the timing signal is every minute it corrects itself. I would imagine DAB radios are similar. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I always forget to adjust at least one of my cycle computers. It freaks me out at first, then I realise how much lighter it is, and I relax.
barrym

Post by barrym »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I always forget to adjust at least one of my cycle computers. It freaks me out at first, then I realise how much lighter it is, and I relax.
Why does altering them affect the weight?

[emoji847]
--
Cheers
Barry
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I inherited my grandfather's retirement clock he got from BR. It's got Westminster quarters. Jeez that's a hard clock to get right. You get the times right but chimes don't match. Then by fluke the chimes work but the clock shows 7 minutes out.

Then after staying in to catch the right time to turn the clock or chimes on you forget where you are with the winding it up. Right now we have a very nice looking railway mantelpiece clock with a very good mechanism that is right twice a day. I doubt I'll ever bother using it for the time again. Old technology might be very nice and a bit special but so impractical in a modern, busy life.

I now use my phone and smart watch / GPS tracker watch to make sure my few normal watches and clocks get put to the right time. Three timepieces I have to set manually. Takes less than a minute in total
gaz

Post by gaz »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I always forget to adjust at least one of my cycle computers. It freaks me out at first, then I realise how much lighter it is, and I relax.

Likewise but rather than mine being its current one hour and a few minutes fast it will now just be a few minutes ahead.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade