Clocks Going Forward

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Clocks Going Forward

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 3:28pm
steve.y.griffith wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 2:44pm Interesting debate I am sure I read somewhere that during WW2 we had summer time 2 hours ahead of GMT on the grounds it helped with the harvest . I think all the hassle is worth it on the grounds of reduced accidents especially drivers in the rush hour and kids going to school.
Time zones on the lack of them can be confusing I remember travelling in Siberia where public clocks I had two hour hands one for local and one for Moscow time . China only has Beijing time which in the east of the country so Xinjiang which would be 3/4 time zones to the West has very strange time ie sun rises and sets very late . ( they tried a summer time in the late 80,s but it just caused huge confusion so was quietly dropped)

Trivia note in Petts Wood Kent there is memorial to the inventor of U.K. Summer Time .
Would we not get the same benefit by simply changing school start times over winter?
Yes, much smarter to change the time and leave the clocks alone.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 27 Mar 2023, 4:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjb

Post by rjb »

We had a trial of not moving the clocks between 1969 and 1970. Time was known as British Standard Time. Accident statistics revealed less accidents in the in the evenings and more in the darker mornings but a reduction overall. We should have kept it in my view. It was only Scotland that objected.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Only Scotland?
Apart from saying "only Scotland", we in the north of England also objected. The further north the more objection.

As I've said, just push it half an hour and forget it.

Many countries in the world are half-hour difference.
India for instance, let alone parts of Oz, and Canada.

When I was in Singapore last - 1988 - they were a half hour different.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The country of the meridian ditching it all together? Something seems wrong with that somehow.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just stay on GMT... If northern towns (and that includes all the way to to the north most bits of the orkneys and anything beyond) want to have their school day start at 10 am then they should do so.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Simple.

Already, in Scotland, the schools break up for the summer holidays in June and go back in mid August.
It drove our Daughter1 mad, as her birthday is in August, and once, she went back to school actually on her birthday!

Talking of Scottish schools, a colleague of mine when I was on a ship based in Scotland, moved down to Plymouth, not long after we moved south. He was Scottish through and through, and so were his wife and daughter.

Their daughter started at senior school in Devon and did a few months there, but then they moved back to Scotland, and the daughter had to go back to primary school. She was most disgruntled, to say the least!

I understand that Scottish school years start in January, whist the rest of UK start in September. Hence moving up to senior school in England, then going back to primary in Scotland.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 6:47pm ...
I understand that Scottish school years start in January, whist the rest of UK start in September.
Doesn't the school year in Scotland start in August?

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just stewing over this school year start.
In England, if you are born in Sept, you are one of the oldest in your class.
Also, if you are born in August, you are one of the youngest in the class.

In Scotland, the year groups are January to December ........... or they were when we lived there 1974 to 1980 and 1982 to 1985 .............. and when my colleague and I knew each other.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 7:33pm Just stewing over this school year start.
In England, if you are born in Sept, you are one of the oldest in your class.
Also, if you are born in August, you are one of the youngest in the class.

In Scotland, the year groups are January to December ........... or they were when we lived there 1974 to 1980 and 1982 to 1985 .............. and when my colleague and I knew each other.
"Scottish school policy places all those born between March of a given year and February of the following year in the same year group."
and there's flexibility on starting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education ... _education

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I put the clocks forward, but I'm still on GMT.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

What DST really does is give every country that applies it a dose of jet lag.

The classic formula that I remember from my pond-hopping days was that every hour of time shift takes a day to recover from.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

7pm, and it's still daylight.

Why?
For goodness sake?
Why can't we have daylight at 7am like we had in last week or so?
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Who needs daylight when you should still be asleep Mick?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was thinking an idle thought this morning .......... whilst watching paint dry here in the livingroom - redecorating.

If all months were the same length, the seasons would change over the years. Let's say 30day months, or even 28day months?
Instead of late December being mid winter, it would slowly change to September, then August etc etc.
The years would get less boring and repetitive.

After all, the people of the Southern Hemisphere have Christmas in the summer, so why can't we? We could share it all out! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

They're shifting anyway... albeit slightly slower.

If you had 28 day months then you have the added advantage of having each day number be a consistent day of the week, and you can fit 13 months in the year with barely any extra.

Though of course if we're redefining the calendar that much...

1000 days in a year, three sets of seasons each year.
10 days in a week, 10 weeks in a month, 10 months in a year.
10 hours in a day, 100 minutes in an hour, 100 seconds in a minute.