Giro d'Italia

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
reohn2
Posts: 31036
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby reohn2 » 13 May 2018, 6:09pm

Great stage.
Great,scenery.
Great finish.
:) :) :)

Hugh Carthy has great things ahead of him if today is anything to go by :)

Yates,what can you say other than "keep it up lad,you're going great" :D And the the team performed well today.

Froome won't recover from injuries sustained IMO,not in this year's Giro anyway.
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 May 2018, 6:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
pjclinch
Posts: 3203
Joined: 29 Oct 2007, 2:32pm
Location: Dundee, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby pjclinch » 13 May 2018, 6:13pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:
P.S. - I predict that Yates will loose GC by 30 - 60 seconds, today.


Perhaps not... :wink:
I'm feeling spoiled. It's a great race so far, I'd be happy for any of the current podium placings to take it (I like the riders and their teams).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 9000
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 13 May 2018, 8:17pm

Hi,
Cough..................... :oops:

Well done yates, I think more froomey's lack of performance made it look good, but we will see, too early to be sure.
Yates looked cool as he went for it, no one else could match him today, stage win.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

djnotts
Posts: 1002
Joined: 26 May 2008, 12:51pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby djnotts » 15 May 2018, 1:56pm

Starting to look as if Chaves not going to be in a position to "take back team leadership" in last week. Burden must remain with Yates. And his history is on his side in terms of predecessors....."On 28 April 2016, Simon Yates returned an adverse analytical finding for Terbutaline. Yates had been prescribed the drug to treat asthma, but a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) request had not been filed." Damned TUEs eh?

reohn2
Posts: 31036
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby reohn2 » 15 May 2018, 2:04pm

djnotts wrote:Starting to look as if Chaves not going to be in a position to "take back team leadership" in last week. Burden must remain with Yates. And his history is on his side in terms of predecessors....."On 28 April 2016, Simon Yates returned an adverse analytical finding for Terbutaline. Yates had been prescribed the drug to treat asthma, but a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) request had not been filed." Damned TUEs eh?

Hmmm.....
Pro athletes eh?
There's a lot of asthma in the pro peloton.......
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

djnotts
Posts: 1002
Joined: 26 May 2008, 12:51pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby djnotts » 16 May 2018, 9:49pm

A memorable performance by Yates today - worthy of a GC winner if he gets to the end. Let's hope "memorable" for the right reasons.

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 3320
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby Paulatic » 16 May 2018, 11:30pm

djnotts wrote:A memorable performance by Yates today - worthy of a GC winner if he gets to the end. Let's hope "memorable" for the right reasons.

He might of won today’s race but on today’s viewing maybe Dumoulin will be the overall winner?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life RIP Hannah Hauxwell

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 9000
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 17 May 2018, 10:34am

Hi,
Yates is looking good, (I will get my coat) Froomey "Its good to see another brit leading"..................yates and doumolin, cracking finale :)
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

djnotts
Posts: 1002
Joined: 26 May 2008, 12:51pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby djnotts » 17 May 2018, 11:54am

I'm not yet predicting a win - long way to go - more that IF wins GC yesterday's stage will counter any "yeah but Froome off form and Chaves blew it..." faint praising talk.

User avatar
pjclinch
Posts: 3203
Joined: 29 Oct 2007, 2:32pm
Location: Dundee, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby pjclinch » 18 May 2018, 10:24am

djnotts wrote:I'm not yet predicting a win - long way to go - more that IF wins GC yesterday's stage will counter any "yeah but Froome off form and Chaves blew it..." faint praising talk.


You always see this from some element of the "fans". If someone does something amazing "obviously" they're on dope is another aspect of it.

Reality, however, is there ain't no such thing as an "easy" Maglia Rosa, and the winner will have earned it the hard, 3 week way.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

ianrobo
Posts: 423
Joined: 12 Jan 2017, 9:52pm

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby ianrobo » 18 May 2018, 2:57pm

pjclinch wrote:Reality, however, is there ain't no such thing as an "easy" Maglia Rosa, and the winner will have earned it the hard, 3 week way.


any by doping or does Yates get a free pass because he is a Brit, oh sorry his doctor 'forgot' to apply for a TUE, innocent mistake. Note if we believe Velon's power figures, on a 1KM stretch he did less WATTS than Poz but was 1.5kph faster, but some will believe it was because he was more aero (though most people recognise he is heavier !)

Does not figure does it ?

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 3320
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby Paulatic » 18 May 2018, 3:12pm

ianrobo wrote:[. Note if we believe Velon's power figures, on a 1KM stretch he did less WATTS than Poz but was 1.5kph faster, but some will believe it was because he was more aero (though most people recognise he is heavier !)

Does not figure does it ?


Do all power meters give exactly the same readings?
I’ve no experience with one but I doubt it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life RIP Hannah Hauxwell

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 10454
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby mjr » 18 May 2018, 4:06pm

Paulatic wrote:Do all power meters give exactly the same readings?
I’ve no experience with one but I doubt it.

They're also on different bikes (both on manufacturer-sponsored teams and I think Scott are usually regarded as more aggressive racing bikes than Merida, aren't they?) with probably different tyres. Many variables.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

ianrobo
Posts: 423
Joined: 12 Jan 2017, 9:52pm

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby ianrobo » 18 May 2018, 4:13pm

mjr wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Do all power meters give exactly the same readings?
I’ve no experience with one but I doubt it.

They're also on different bikes (both on manufacturer-sponsored teams and I think Scott are usually regarded as more aggressive racing bikes than Merida, aren't they?) with probably different tyres. Many variables.


of course many variables and no one would pretend otherwise but watching that finish Yates was barely out of breath and the others were struggling, does anyone think it was TOO easy .... remeber he should have at least one more stage win thanks to letting Chaves win when he had him easy, this is total domination bar the TT

User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 4914
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Giro d'Italia

Postby cycleruk » 18 May 2018, 5:29pm

I doubt very much that power meters will all read the same, especially between different makes.
Other factors will be the weight of the rider, aero resistance. (and maybe cadence. :roll: )
Leave getting old to others.