Arnside to Grange-over Sands

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Wesh-Laurence

Arnside to Grange-over Sands

Post by Wesh-Laurence »

Is there a short cut between Arnside and Grange-over-Sands in Cumbria?

Can pedestrians & cyclists use the Kent Viaduct to cross the Milnathorpe Sands (North end of Morecambe Bay) or is the viaduct only for trains?
Paulatic

Re: Arnside to Grange-over Sands

Post by Paulatic »

It’s Trespass.....£1000 to cross
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

There was a campaign to provide a pedestrian/cycle path alongside, but it seems to have fizzled out a few years ago: http://blog.southlakesgroup.org.uk/?p=848
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It's a nice ride around the bay though once you get off the A roads,Grange is a lovely town :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

No short cut I'm afraid but quiet roads (see cycle.travel). Easy to jump on a train for one stop if you want a quicker route (10 mins!). As Richard mentions there was a campaign and network rail built in supports for a pathway when the revamped the viaduct. However, access rights on the north bank are still the major blockage with a landowner objecting.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You can use the train but otherwise you have to ride round the estuary.
It's not a bad ride round. Use NCR 700 & 70.
Last edited by cycleruk on 15 Jan 2019, 9:03am, edited 1 time in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Not sure if you can take a bike with you on the Bay walk, :lol: That's the only other short cut.... not to be recommended unless you know where the shifting quicksands are......
Funnily enough we were discussing this t'other day; I think someone did actually ride along the side of the railway on the projecting platform.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I live local to Arnside Viaduct and was employed for a short while as Setting Out Engineer on the deck replacements.
It was probably the worst job I'd had the misfortune to work on and both the designers and contractors were appalling.
The design had nothing incorporated for retro fitting a walkway and any such addition will have to be fixed independently of the steel deck structure, possibly to the masonry piers.
With sufficient forward planning, I reckon a future light cantilever could have been allowed for.
So much for any liason between Network Rail, their designers Gifford and Partners and any interested parties.
We are now throwing £40.000 down the drain at this late stage when with forthought, the survey work needed to plan an add on could have been accomplished during the shut down. Indeed Giffords Survey (Such as it was) could have been acquired and any proposals cast on that.
At the end of the day, we must realise that Network Rail are only interested in running their trains over their viaduct.
They are not going to allow any other parties a wayleave out of the goodness of their heart.
Cyclists and walkers are nothing more than a thorn in their sides and they will not countenance any add ons that will effect either the cost or the integrity of their structure.
In reality, the proposal is nothing more than a nice idea and I certainly won't be holding my breath.
The ride around is rather pleasant, taking in the estuary from Arnside up by Sandside nearly to Milnethorpe.
Then a left over the Bela and a nice run around the marshes to Levens Bridge.
When the council finish bridge repairs on sampool lane, you will be able to get over to Gilpin without using the A590 but for now ride up into Levens village, then out on the old A590 and under Whitbarrow scar to Derby Arms.
An underpasss takes you onto Meathop Lane and a nice ride all the way around to Grange Golf Club.
The other answer is what I often do and that is simply to put your bike on the train and go the one stop leg either way.
It's not a kings ransom and old duffers like me get off with a third of the cost ( Plug for Network Rail!!!!!)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Nope.
But the little lanes are lovely, you do have to a short bit of main road A6/A590 but you can quickly get off again.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

As a footnote, Railway Engineers back in 1867 had the foresight to incorporate a substantial footpath into the construction of the Barmouth Viaduct over the Mawddach Estuary.
Notwithstanding an infestation of ship worm, the structure still stands and offers a nice round trip in conjunction with the Toll bridge at Penmaenpool
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I used the train last year, and it's at most a five-minute ride. Also likely to be free as there is hardly time for the ticket man to find you. I asked the driver what to do as I got off, and he said to just accept the freebie.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I read something online last year about movement on the cycle / pedestrian access to the viaduct. Can't remember the source but i think it was a local newspaper / online site. Something about a new feasibly study.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I have used the train once.
Stopped a night at Hawkeshead YHA, rode down (and up :roll: ) to Cark Station. Train across the bridge over to Silverdale station and a lunch stop at the RSPB centre (Leighton Moss). Thence home from there.
Just a bit different from the usual and quite pleasant. Had a bit of a wait at Cark by which time the train was full but the Guard/Conductor let me squeeze the bike in with the prams. So don't expect to get a group on all at the same time. Maybe two or three as it's a small train.
Last edited by cycleruk on 14 Feb 2019, 11:02am, edited 1 time in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
lankysnapper

Post by lankysnapper »

I found this below. arnsider is this what you mean about throwing away £40k? Do you think it will never happen?

https://www.cumbriacrack.com/2018/11/28 ... -crossing/
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Yes, but
"Network Rail has supported initial feasibility and will work with us and other partners to evaluate and test the route, economic impact and costs"
Really!!
Network Rail had evey opportunity to consider such proposal when they commisioned the desgn and re build of the decks.
Funny that they now seem keen.

All useless, seamless, blinkered dissinterest.
Network Rail were never interested at any time and are just "Supporting" the initiative for appearence sake.
Thast £40,000 might as well go on a few lorry loads of tarmac.