Shimano Alfine SG-S7001-11

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
turnipman

Shimano Alfine SG-S7001-11

Postby turnipman » 17 May 2018, 6:47pm

Hello,
I'm to replace my worn out SG-S700 11 speed hub , oil leaks like crazy now with a SG-S7001-11 which I gather is an imporvement. Looking at the documentation http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-SG0004-02-ENG.pdf page 7 I can pair a 39 tooth chain ring with a 21 tooth sprocket.
Can anyone confirm this is OK?
Thanks
Tom

Brucey

Re: Shimano Alfine SG-S7001-11

Postby Brucey » 17 May 2018, 9:46pm

you either believe that there is a firm recommendation for a 2:1 ratio or you don't. Even if you do, what the hubs sees will vary with the wheel size the bike has, loading and how strong you are. IIRC shimano USA issued a statement saying that there was no such gearing restriction with the SG-S700 about six years ago.

BTW if you want oil not to come out of your hub, just

a) get some new seals
and/or
b) lube the hub with a suitable SFG rather than oil.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

meandros

Re: Shimano Alfine SG-S7001-11

Postby meandros » 16 Sep 2018, 9:23pm

I don't really see how the Alfine11, be it 1st or 2nd gen, can work on the recommended shimano oil, at least for the long term. Brucey is absolutely on the money: send that hub to a proper IGH mechanic along with the shifter and cable and it'll be as good as new or better. The official recommended lubrication method for this hub is a joke, of course it leaks. Proper lubrication will make that hub good for at least 100.000km. If the ball bearings and races are not corroded and the hub spins freely without drag, there is no need to buy a new one, your existing hub is just a service away from spectacular.

Btw, forget about the 2:1 ratio and just make your own based on your own feet strength. Through trial and error, I found out ~1.8 works for me on the terrain I'm riding (flat up to ~300m elevation). I'm sure that ratio that works for you is a bit different, just don't restrict your choice following cooky guidelines that have nothing to do with real world usage of the hub. Remember the hub prefers spinning to torquing and you'll work your way from there.

Cheers!