Changes to my Nazca Paseo

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Changes to my Nazca Paseo

Postby UpWrong » 18 May 2018, 3:30pm

I have been focussing on changes to my RANS and Catrike, so the Paseo has been neglected. I got it up and running from a frameset (from LaidBack Bikes who have provided me with excellent customer service) a while back. The seat angle was a bit extreme for me (managed a Giro 20 previously but abandonned an HPV Grasshopper). Decided I would be more relaxed and confident with a SA CS-RK3 so I could change gear when stationary.

So I'm a weight weenie with a heavy bike (41 lbs in derailleur form), trying his best to keep the weight down. So I repurposed an XC717 disc rim using DB spokes for the wheel build, I took off the low pannier rack and fitted a lighter rear mudguard with lightweight stays. Then I replaced the suspended fork with a fixed fork. This was a difficult decision but I was really struggling to dismount the bike and this lowered the front end by 40mm or so which also brings the pedals nearer to the ground. Fortunately the head angle can be altered on the Paseo (via the rear suspension position) so I was able to maintain the trail measurement. I have yet to reinstall the front mudguard. The end result is around 40.5 lbs. Seat height is about 21", BB height about 24". Photos here (taken before I lowered the suspension to slacken the fork angle): https://photos.app.goo.gl/dYHQkZOeH3H8fCw02

It's very easy to balance, very pleasant to ride and silent in operation. Just wish it was 10 lbs lighter. In time with increased confidence I might revert to derailleurs only. I have a wider front wheel rim and hub on order so that I can fit a Big Apple tyre. Having been literally thrown off the Metabikes by a pothole I am really wanting a wide tyre on the front. I am hopeful that the long wheelbase of the Paseo and a wide front tyre will stop a reoccurrence of that.

UpWrong

Re: Changes to my Nazca Paseo

Postby UpWrong » 18 May 2018, 3:35pm

Forgot to mention it's acquired a Tektro Aquila rear disc brake - more weight! The V-brake was interfering with the return chain line.

belgiangoth

Postby belgiangoth » 23 May 2018, 3:18pm

I spent some time considering tinkering with my speedmachine - CF boom, lighter components, rigid front fork ... I reckon it makes more sense to spec a new bike than modify a heavier bike to something lighter. YMMV and obviously does!

It looks very nice!
If I had a baby elephant I would let it sleep in the garage in place of the car. If I had either a garage or a car. (I miss sigs about baby elephants)

UpWrong

Postby UpWrong » 23 May 2018, 8:21pm

belgiangoth wrote:I spent some time considering tinkering with my speedmachine - CF boom, lighter components, rigid front fork ... I reckon it makes more sense to spec a new bike than modify a heavier bike to something lighter. YMMV and obviously does!

It looks very nice!

Thanks. Apparently it's possible to get a Speedmachine down to 33lbs, see Zach Kaplan's blog.

The Paseo didn't feel heavy to ride at least. One thing i forgot to mention is that the rear shock seems to have to work harder without a suspension fork taking some of the hit. My back was aching from the carbon seat's lumbar support curve. I've been using novosport pad which is quite thin. I will try the heavier Nazca one.

belgiangoth

Postby belgiangoth » 23 May 2018, 9:45pm

Hmmm, 14kg is light for a fully-suspended machine, but I doubt he maintained that (i found his facebook page with a quick google, but not the build details). Once you go down the modification road though, might it not make more sense to start with a Challenge SL model, or a Schlitter?
If I had a baby elephant I would let it sleep in the garage in place of the car. If I had either a garage or a car. (I miss sigs about baby elephants)

UpWrong

Postby UpWrong » 24 May 2018, 7:44am

I couldn't agree more. I'm fighting a losing battle. Here's a link to Zach's build, and it does retain full suspension: https://www.facebook.com/zachkaplancycles/posts/1696839760375231

UpWrong

Postby UpWrong » 30 May 2018, 6:44am

I had another ride over the weekend and have identified a problem for me with the CS-RK3, the pick up on the hub is rather slow. There seems to be a large angle between the pick ups, maybe as much as 60 degrees. So I'm stopped at a T-junction, I raise the right pedal to the 12 o'clock position and there's no pick up at that point. I bring it back to 11 o'clock and nothing. I bring it back again to 10 o'clock, and have pick-up now but my knee is too bent for the push off. I backpedal it round to 1 o'clock and have pick-up. I launch myself and fail to gain sufficient momemntum for a clean take-off and have to stop and paddle the bike to the kerb. Maybe I was spoilt by previously having an XTR hub with a fast pick-up, but this is causing me problems frequently. Apart from that i was quite liking the hub and being able to change down when stationary. It helped on a few hill starts after I had to stop to give way on narrow lanes to traffic coming down.

I'm not convinced by the hard shell seat. The curled 3-angle position is giving me back ached in the lumbar region. Mesh back seats by contrast are used in a more upright position and are 2-angled.