Changes to my Nazca Paseo

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Changes to my Nazca Paseo

Postby UpWrong » 18 May 2018, 3:30pm

I have been focussing on changes to my RANS and Catrike, so the Paseo has been neglected. I got it up and running from a frameset (from LaidBack Bikes who have provided me with excellent customer service) a while back. The seat angle was a bit extreme for me (managed a Giro 20 previously but abandonned an HPV Grasshopper). Decided I would be more relaxed and confident with a SA CS-RK3 so I could change gear when stationary.

So I'm a weight weenie with a heavy bike (41 lbs in derailleur form), trying his best to keep the weight down. So I repurposed an XC717 disc rim using DB spokes for the wheel build, I took off the low pannier rack and fitted a lighter rear mudguard with lightweight stays. Then I replaced the suspended fork with a fixed fork. This was a difficult decision but I was really struggling to dismount the bike and this lowered the front end by 40mm or so which also brings the pedals nearer to the ground. Fortunately the head angle can be altered on the Paseo (via the rear suspension position) so I was able to maintain the trail measurement. I have yet to reinstall the front mudguard. The end result is around 40.5 lbs. Seat height is about 21", BB height about 24". Photos here (taken before I lowered the suspension to slacken the fork angle): https://photos.app.goo.gl/dYHQkZOeH3H8fCw02

It's very easy to balance, very pleasant to ride and silent in operation. Just wish it was 10 lbs lighter. In time with increased confidence I might revert to derailleurs only. I have a wider front wheel rim and hub on order so that I can fit a Big Apple tyre. Having been literally thrown off the Metabikes by a pothole I am really wanting a wide tyre on the front. I am hopeful that the long wheelbase of the Paseo and a wide front tyre will stop a reoccurrence of that.

UpWrong

Re: Changes to my Nazca Paseo

Postby UpWrong » 18 May 2018, 3:35pm

Forgot to mention it's acquired a Tektro Aquila rear disc brake - more weight! The V-brake was interfering with the return chain line.