ethanol, meths or bioethanol, where to buy while touring uk?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Jdsk

Re: ethanol, meths or bioethanol, where to buy while touring uk?

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 10:10amOK I assume to put it in a Trangia fuel bottle once it's empty of meths.
I'd be happy to do that, and I don't think that it would matter whether it's empty or not.

Jonathan
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Sweep wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 9:53am
rualexander wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 9:39am
metalman wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 12:37pm I was reading the thread below and all the links you have put seem to be out of stock but if you check
https://priorypolishes.co.uk/product/ru ... ed-spirit/
They still have some
I think this is becoming harder to find these days! It must be because of lack of raw materials?
Thanks
Just go to B&Q and pick up some bioethanol.
https://www.diy.com/departments/la-haci ... 224_BQ.prd
apologies if a daft question.
Can that be used in a Trangia as is?
If so how does it compare to meths in use?
It's a fair bit cheaper than purple meths for sure, which I think is usually £3 to £4 for 500ml.
Been using it in my Trangia for about five years, no problem.
It's basically the same as you'd get in any 'meths' bottle these days, apart from the purple colouring,.
It's just ethanol from a bio source rather than a fossil fuel source, with a couple of additives.
'Meths' in the UK and Europe no longer contains methanol and is basically, ethanol, with a couple of additives like isopropyl alcohol and methyl ethyl ketone.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks for the info folk - am clearly behind the times on this.
ekofuel brand seems to be recommended a lot, though only seems to be available online in bulk.
I did see some mention that Asda supposedly sells it but couldn't find from a search of their webpage.
Still seems that some things can get cheaper :) - bio ethanol does seem to be available a hell of a lot cheaper than the traditional purple stuff.
Question on storage if buy in bulk - any probs with keeping it in an enclosed garage? Any problems with low temperatures during storage (ie zero sub zero as often encountered in northern parts)
Sweep
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I've been using bioethanol in my Trangia burner and in various home made beer can burners since 2011. Burnt neat it does produce a little soot, dependant on burner design, but it burns much cleaner than methylated spirits and doesn't have the unpleasant smell of the purple meths of old. I bought the last lot from B&Q but can't remember how much I paid.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 2:25pmQuestion on storage if buy in bulk - any probs with keeping it in an enclosed garage? Any problems with low temperatures during storage (ie zero sub zero as often encountered in northern parts)
I wouldn't expect any.

Usual safety concerns, especially fire and access by children. But ethanol is a lot less dangerous from these points of views than other organic fuels and solvents.

Jonathan
Will

Post by Will »

martinjreed wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 7:08pm ...B&Q (although they only seem to have 2L)
I bought a couple of 500ml bottles of Diall brand Meths in B&Q on Sunday, so they do sell smaller bottles.

Will
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Will wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 4:33pm
martinjreed wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 7:08pm ...B&Q (although they only seem to have 2L)
I bought a couple of 500ml bottles of Diall brand Meths in B&Q on Sunday, so they do sell smaller bottles.

Will
At twice the price, and it's not described as bioethanol, whether it is or not is uncertain, the COSHH datasheet doesn't say.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

hamster wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 7:58pm
crazydave789 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 7:23pm standard meths you dilute with around 10% water which gives you more fuel but also keeps the pans cleaner.
You will have to explain how you manage to burn water. :lol:
Adding water has been done since the 1950’s and is something very beneficial not only to reducing soot, but prolonging volume.. To the person above laughing it’s nothing new and it works. I’m almost (few weeks) 72 and I’ve never known different.
So there,,,,,, you go!
hamster

Post by hamster »

Of course it adds volume, but it doesn't (and cannot) add energy!
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

hamster wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 3:42pm Of course it adds volume, but it doesn't (and cannot) add energy!
It certainly in my 50 plus years using , does not appear to reduce flame/heat or time cooking. Cleaner stove and pans though.
Water does contain Oxygen of course which must add to the heat ...... :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

hamster wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 3:42pm Of course it adds volume, but it doesn't (and cannot) add energy!
That isn't the aim. The most commonly quoted benefit is reduced deposition of soot, as above.

Opinions differ.

Jonathan
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

As daft as it sounds it does.
Pure meths evaporates so fast that you don't get 100% combustion, hence the soot on the bottom of pans.
Adding a little water slows the speed that the meths evaporates so you now get 100% combustion, hence no soot.
So the 100% combustion must give you a little more energy, but some of it is now used to boil the water in the meths so not all of it reaches your pans.
It's how you control the speed you boil stuff on a meths bunner.

Luck .......... :D
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

I don't add water and I don't get any soot worth mentioning.
Maybe the bioethanol I use doesn't produce much.
Never had a soot issue with French alcohol a bruler either.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I don't think it the ethanol that burns sooty.
It's more likely to be the stuff added to it to make it undrinkable.
As in different formulations produce different amount of soot when burnt neat.
But I always add around 50% water to give me a slow simmer boil so I don't stick the pasta to the bottom of the pan even if I don't stir it.

Luck ........... :D
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

If anyone is passing my way Touring I can supply methylated Spirits in quantity. I have 6 (5 litre ) bottles of real pre modification Methylated Spirits.