Please Report Any Security Check Problems When Boarding Ferries ex UK

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
JakobW

Re: Please Report Any Security Check Problems When Boarding Ferries ex UK

Post by JakobW »

Did Harwich-Hook and Hook-Harwich on Stena line this week. No checks or problems at either end; I was travelling light with only a saddlebag, but didn't see anyone else get pulled either. The only minor annoyance was having to queue with the motor traffic for check-in (as usual), though when they opened a second gate at Hook they did call all the cyclists to the front, which was decent enough of them.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Portsmouth to Ouistreham (Caen) return this month on Brittany Ferries.

Outbound, security checks were carried out on just about every vehicle of any sort. I had two of my bags scanned, no problem taking my Swiss Army knife. Return trip - no questions or scanning of anything at all. Noted security checks of lorries for "extra passengers", and armed soldiers patrolling the holding areas peering into cars and caravans.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Anything recent to report in here. I’ve seen mention of cooking and camping knives in various threads. Are under seat tool packs ever checked? Seems a logical place to look
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I reported at the time. Going out from Portsmouth to St Malo in June (2022).

Left hand pannier removed and scanned. Nothing sharp in it, all my sharps in right pannier which was the one I was taking on the ship.

No idea what would have happened if they had scanned the right one, with small cooking knife and Swiss Army.

My tools are in a bottle jar, not checked

Bottom line, most things not checked, but don't know what they would have done if anything found.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

botty wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 4:35pm Very discriminatory as cars/camper vans embark with there kitchen utensils intact.
I guess they do it because they've a target of a certain proportion of vehicles to check, and it's much easier to reach if they target cyclists than camper vans, which would take quite a time to check.
Maybe the CTC should put in an FOI request for a breakdown of the porportions of vehicles searched by type.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

We traveled on Brittany ferries on 31st August to St Malo called in by security - us and two Dutch tourists.
The security official took a number of bags for close inspection " Right I'll have this bag and that one and that one" etc - several bags and we also had to go through an airport type scanner.
He also asked for knives and we offered up two small and one very small Opinel plus a Swiss army Knife.
He took them away for some sort of examination - when he came back he asked if we were camping - the two Dutch cyclists were and we lied and said we were - ceremonious handing back of Knives.

Meantime several camping vehicles had passed through - they were inspected after a fashion but not to the extent of our search.
On the return from Caen we were waved through security and not searched.

I don't think this is to do with the ferry companies - more likely some Home Office vehicle check target that some moron has dreamed up and security realise that a bike counts as a vehicle.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ANTONISH wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 7:06pm - when he came back he asked if we were camping - the two Dutch cyclists were and we lied and said we were - ceremonious handing back of Knives.
Hardly the fifth degree - sounds more like feeding you a line.
And I take it that after your lie he didn't challenge you to provide some sort of evidence - like a tent, a stove, a sleeping bag or whatever?
Hardly Sherlock or the spanish inquisition?

Is the "camping" thing a general get out/allowance?
On ferries?
I do have a decathlon camping cooking knife (excellent knife, I use it in my kitchen) I worry about somewhat - fair length of blade and it locks. Would very definitely be illegal to walk the streets of the UK with it in a bag but I do pack it in my panniers when off UK camping.
Sweep
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Sweep wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 7:31pm
ANTONISH wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 7:06pm - when he came back he asked if we were camping - the two Dutch cyclists were and we lied and said we were - ceremonious handing back of Knives.
Hardly the fifth degree - sounds more like feeding you a line.
And I take it that after your lie he didn't challenge you to provide some sort of evidence - like a tent, a stove, a sleeping bag or whatever?
Hardly Sherlock or the spanish inquisition?

Is the "camping" thing a general get out/allowance?
On ferries?
I do have a decathlon camping cooking knife (excellent knife, I use it in my kitchen) I worry about somewhat - fair length of blade and it locks. Would very definitely be illegal to walk the streets of the UK with it in a bag but I do pack it in my panniers when off UK camping.
I think you mean the third degree.
I don't really see why he felt the need to "feed me a line" - I was carrying a very small knife IME a useful item to carry on a cycling trip.
Even a basic tool kit for a car has items which could do serious damage - not to say the aforementioned camping cars with an array of cutlery and kitchen knives.
I don't see why a cyclist camping or not should be subject to more onerous conditions than a motor vehicle driver.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ANTONISH wrote: 12 Sep 2022, 9:01am

I think you mean the third degree.
yep, sorry :)
Sweep
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I did Dover-Calais with bike and tent last month. Went through completely unchecked.
scragend

Post by scragend »

nirakaro wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 2:13pm I did Dover-Calais with bike and tent last month. Went through completely unchecked.
A while ago now but I went from Newcastle to IJmuiden and back in June. Likewise, no checks at all. There were lots of cyclists on the ferry both ways and I didn't see anyone on a bike being stopped and checked.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

scragend wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 6:52pm
nirakaro wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 2:13pm I did Dover-Calais with bike and tent last month. Went through completely unchecked.
A while ago now but I went from Newcastle to IJmuiden and back in June. Likewise, no checks at all. There were lots of cyclists on the ferry both ways and I didn't see anyone on a bike being stopped and checked.
Passport stamped in and out?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Not any problems (so not answering original question this thread asks) but Early Aug Harwich (with cycle/tadpole bent) -> Hoek no security checks/questions. Return Hoek->Harwich Sept no security checks.

Passport control on the NL side asked obvious questions on entry to NL "how long are you staying?" and on leaving NL "where have you been?" (which might just have been friendly chat as there were no queues).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

matt2matt2002 wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 5:32am
scragend wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 6:52pm
Passport stamped in and out?
Certainly into and out of Netherlands using Harwich/Hoek ferry passport stamped in and out of Netherlands. No questions or checks of Covid vaccination record, no checks on where are you staying and no checks of adequate funds.

Ian
pal

Post by pal »

Psamathe wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 11:00am Certainly into and out of Netherlands using Harwich/Hoek ferry passport stamped in and out of Netherlands. No questions or checks of Covid vaccination record, no checks on where are you staying and no checks of adequate funds.

Ian
Same experience coming into/out of the Netherlands at IJmuiden earlier this month: passport stamp and a (friendly) question about my intended destination, but no covid or security or funding checks.