Please Report Any Security Check Problems When Boarding Ferries ex UK

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MrsHJ

Re: Please Report Any Security Check Problems When Boarding Ferries ex UK

Post by MrsHJ »

No checks Roscoff to Plymouth yesterday. That’s not to say there weren’t people around who might have checked but they didn’t seem interested in me and there didn’t seem to be a large scale checking operation.

Something I hadn’t noticed before but I think was also the case last September when I came through- on arrival there is a short cut for bikes (which you are required to take) from the ferry to passport control. It’s essentially less than a minutes walk from the end of the boat as the layout of the port is such that the ferry is actually very close to passport control although I’m sure for cars there’s a big windy loop to get there.

Anyway incredibly fast exit as a consequence. 6 bikes on the ferry.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Not quite the right thread but ferry information.

For those of us south but not close to Dover I was mulling over the Poole condor ferry to either Cherbourg or saint malo. I’ve used this before many years ago when it still ran from Weymouth (and my parents lived there providing a useful overnight option) and it did a run via guernsey I think. Anyway the price is reasonable and the bike goes free. You add it in in the extras selection and put yourself as a foot passenger.

Biggest downside looks like the times- it might be less hassle for me to get the overnight Plymouth ferry and get a train on arrival but it’s good to have options.
Attachments
IMG_1543.jpeg
ajj

Post by ajj »

Just wanted to report back that all the cycle tourists on our late May crossing (Portsmouth-St Malo) appeared to be waved straight through security. Probably around 20 of us for a Monday night crossing.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

ajj wrote: 27 Jun 2023, 8:37am Just wanted to report back that all the cycle tourists on our late May crossing (Portsmouth-St Malo) appeared to be waved straight through security. Probably around 20 of us for a Monday night crossing.
Similar success story last week on the Newhaven-Dieppe Sat morning service (and return Sunday 2359h). Part of the "The Fridays" tour to Paris.
I was the only one who sailed back from Dieppe - the main group came back thru Calais, they didn't report any problems
Norman Ton

Post by Norman Ton »

After reading this thread I decided not to take a penknife with me last Saturday from Portsmouth-St Malo. I went through with around 6 cyclists. I had a small bag on my back, another guy had a huge rucksack, others were asked to bring bar bags. The bags had to be xrayed and we had to walk through the scanner. One guy had two opinel knives confiscated due to the fact they locked. Another had his multitool examined but was allowed though even though the lade locked into place, which seemed quite inconsistent. Another guy had a larger knife confiscated, although he had not been searched or questioned coming out of France. I was glad I hadn't taken anything with me. Apparently, if you complete a form and send £34 you can have your confiscated items returned to you.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Norman Ton wrote: 6 Jul 2023, 1:08pm After reading this thread I decided not to take a penknife with me last Saturday from Portsmouth-St Malo.

I assume this was Brittany Ferries? There was a report on road.cc (IIRC) that they now require Hi-Viz and H**mets when boarding. Did that happen?
Last edited by mattheus on 6 Jul 2023, 1:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

That rule has been in place since at least summer 2019. I raised a post about it then. I've never been asked to don hat or vest.

Here is a link to that post if interested, let's keep this one on track, please.

viewtopic.php?t=130740&hilit=Brittany+Ferries
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Done!
windysmithy

Post by windysmithy »

I had my panniers searched at pembroke dock the other day, on the way to Ireland. I had to put my leatherman at the bottom of one of them rather than on my belt. not a jot on the way back,

no id asked for at all.
windysmithy

Post by windysmithy »

MrsHJ wrote: 17 Jun 2023, 6:51am Not quite the right thread but ferry information.

For those of us south but not close to Dover I was mulling over the Poole condor ferry to either Cherbourg or saint malo. I’ve used this before many years ago when it still ran from Weymouth (and my parents lived there providing a useful overnight option) and it did a run via guernsey I think. Anyway the price is reasonable and the bike goes free. You add it in in the extras selection and put yourself as a foot passenger.

Biggest downside looks like the times- it might be less hassle for me to get the overnight Plymouth ferry and get a train on arrival but it’s good to have options.
However, on the booking page it does say "*Please note that bicycles are unable to be carried on any Manche Iles Service. Any passenger arriving with a bicycle will be refused travel." Anyone know about the reality of this? (i imagine manche iles means channel islands)
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

windysmithy wrote: 6 Jul 2023, 10:29pm
MrsHJ wrote: 17 Jun 2023, 6:51am Not quite the right thread but ferry information.

However, on the booking page it does say "*Please note that bicycles are unable to be carried on any Manche Iles Service. Any passenger arriving with a bicycle will be refused travel." Anyone know about the reality of this? (i imagine manche iles means channel islands)
Manche Iles is a separate company operating ferry services between the Channel Islands and from the islands to the French coast, not from the British mainland to the islands.. Condor simply acts as a booking agent for them for some day trips. https://www.condorferries.co.uk/day-tri ... ey-to-sark
Manche Iles's own website says, "The transport of bicycles (standard and electric) is accepted within the limit of 6 bicycles per ship and per crossing. The Company is not responsible for bicycles left unattended. Tandems, bicycle trailers and electric scooters are not accepted on board." https://www.manche-iles.com/en/faq-freq ... questions/
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Norman Ton wrote: 6 Jul 2023, 1:08pm After reading this thread I decided not to take a penknife with me last Saturday from Portsmouth-St Malo. I went through with around 6 cyclists. I had a small bag on my back, another guy had a huge rucksack, others were asked to bring bar bags. The bags had to be xrayed and we had to walk through the scanner. One guy had two opinel knives confiscated due to the fact they locked. Another had his multitool examined but was allowed though even though the lade locked into place, which seemed quite inconsistent. Another guy had a larger knife confiscated, although he had not been searched or questioned coming out of France. I was glad I hadn't taken anything with me. Apparently, if you complete a form and send £34 you can have your confiscated items returned to you.
It's all very inconsistent - my partner and I had our Opinels returned to us at Portsmouth last year.
Locking blades are technically illegal in the U.K - but not in France.
Brittany Ferries is a French ferry company.
There never seems any interest in knives returning from France.
Probably some home office bureaucrat has decided that it is very important to look for knives and cyclists are good source.
If I was thinking of using a knife to take over a ship I could probably get one from the restaurant - even better the galley.
Perhaps the deadly banana.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

Locking blades are technically illegal in the U.K
Only partly true. Opinels are classed the same as fixed blade knives - illegal to "carry" without good reason. If you are cycle camping, you need a knife to prepare food and eat it, so an Opinel or fixed blade sharp knife in you pannier with your cooking kit is completely legal. Just don't carry knives in your pockets or bar bags.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

We've come a long way since scouts carried sheath knives. :(