Women's Round the World record attempt - Jenny Graham

rualexander

Women's Round the World record attempt - Jenny Graham

Postby rualexander » 2 Jul 2018, 10:51pm

Don't see any mention of this record attempt anywhere on the forum?
http://theadventuresyndicate.com/round-the-world/

thelawnet

Re: Women's Round the World record attempt - Jenny Graham

Postby thelawnet » 5 Jul 2018, 6:53am

It does not seem to be a record that gets too many attempts.

This should be the current female record holder. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... d-saved-me

However for reasons only known to GWR they decided that an involuntary several month break due to an injury would be deducted from the total.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wor ... le-(female)/

It's self-supported, which should be a criterion in my view (the men's record is rather silly and involved lots of money being sloshed around to make a TV show making it essentially inaccessible)

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 5 Jul 2018, 5:51pm

thelawnet wrote:It's self-supported, which should be a criterion in my view (the men's record is rather silly and involved lots of money being sloshed around to make a TV show making it essentially inaccessible)

There again, most records are "rather silly" when it comes down to it. So, really, how smart is it to e.g. see how many laps of a velodrome you can do in 60 minutes on a UCI-approved bike? Records, like other sports, necessarily have to have rather contrived rules, and needing to be self supporting is just as contrived and artificial as being supported.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

thelawnet

Postby thelawnet » 5 Jul 2018, 6:20pm

pjclinch wrote:
thelawnet wrote:It's self-supported, which should be a criterion in my view (the men's record is rather silly and involved lots of money being sloshed around to make a TV show making it essentially inaccessible)

There again, most records are "rather silly" when it comes down to it. So, really, how smart is it to e.g. see how many laps of a velodrome you can do in 60 minutes on a UCI-approved bike? Records, like other sports, necessarily have to have rather contrived rules, and needing to be self supporting is just as contrived and artificial as being supported.

Not exactly.

The problem with the RTW is that it takes several months, so it isn't really for top athletes, it's more about proving yourself.

A record that's inaccessible to athletes (because it takes months) and to amateurs (because you need £100k of logistics behind you) is a bit pointless.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 5 Jul 2018, 9:41pm

Spoke to a friend of hers in Blair Atholl just 2 nights ago
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life RIP Hannah Hauxwell

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 6 Jul 2018, 1:00pm

thelawnet wrote:
The problem with the RTW is that it takes several months, so it isn't really for top athletes, it's more about proving yourself.

A record that's inaccessible to athletes (because it takes months) and to amateurs (because you need £100k of logistics behind you) is a bit pointless.

My reaction to this is that if anyone wants to prove themselves, but they need a GWR certification to do that, then they have put themselves in with athletes as firmly in the ranks of The Contrived. (That's not a criticism, btw.)

Mark Beaumont drew a very clear line between his sub-80 day record and unsupported attempts. If he can do that then I think anyone else that actually knows what's involved can probably manage too.

SimonCelsa

Postby SimonCelsa » 18 Oct 2018, 5:20am

It looks like she will be finishing today. The existing record stands at 144 days (I think) & thus she will be well within that.

Good effort!

http://trackleaders.com/jennyrtw18

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 18 Oct 2018, 6:47am

Always wonder why on a RTW record ride, and other ultra long distance rides , why Tri / TT bars are so often used.
Is there really an advantage over such long distances, or is it just for comfort?
Super aero for the 10 mile TT I understand but for a 18000km ride ?
Especially as any aero advantage is wiped out by all the kit carried in bags on the bike.
The Road Goes On Forever.

SimonCelsa

Postby SimonCelsa » 18 Oct 2018, 9:05am

I would imagine it's the same as doing a long audax every day, all the little gains add up and you just want to get to the end of the ride and get your head down.
If crouching down into your aero bars improves your efficiency & gives you an extra 30 mins in your scratcher every day then they will provide a massive psychological boost. The luggage is there and you just have to live with it.
I've never used them but at times when confronted with a long, 'disappearing into the distance' straight with a relentless headwind I wouldn't mind testing their efficency.

RickH

Postby RickH » 18 Oct 2018, 12:09pm

SimonCelsa wrote:I would imagine it's the same as doing a long audax every day, all the little gains add up and you just want to get to the end of the ride and get your head down.
If crouching down into your aero bars improves your efficiency & gives you an extra 30 mins in your scratcher every day then they will provide a massive psychological boost. The luggage is there and you just have to live with it.
I've never used them but at times when confronted with a long, 'disappearing into the distance' straight with a relentless headwind I wouldn't mind testing their efficency.

I think Mark Beaumont said they let you rest your arms more while you rode & add an extra hand position. Plus more spoaces to affix stuff - see
this image on Twitter.

Incidentally she is set to finish in Berlin today - Coming in with a new record a bit under 125 days (slightly behind her original schedule, but still well under the previous 144 day record) :D

RickH

Postby RickH » 18 Oct 2018, 5:56pm

And Jenny has made it. She finished at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin just after 5pm UK time, 124 days 11 hours after she set off from there. :D

SimonCelsa

Postby SimonCelsa » 18 Oct 2018, 6:19pm

Yes, very well done. I'm trying to inspire one of the daughters to take up the challenge. Just less than 150 miles per day; should be achievable by most fit and determined women after some well structured training.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 18 Oct 2018, 7:49pm

Chapeau! :D

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 21 Oct 2018, 9:41pm

This is meaningless concept as there are an infinite range iof routes,mall of which have s unique distance and topography.

sizbut

Postby sizbut » 21 Oct 2018, 10:31pm

Rendered more meaningless by your need to either buy a new keyboard or type better!?

As far as I'm aware, and I'm happy to be corrected, Round the World records require the same start and finish points and at least one opposing pair of great circle points. So whilst, yes, there are a great number of possible routes - the definition is pretty simple and picking the best possible route is part of the challenge. So before you continue knocking, see if you could do better.