Women's Round the World record attempt - Jenny Graham

rualexander

Women's Round the World record attempt - Jenny Graham

Postby rualexander » 2 Jul 2018, 10:51pm

Don't see any mention of this record attempt anywhere on the forum?
http://theadventuresyndicate.com/round-the-world/

thelawnet

Re: Women's Round the World record attempt - Jenny Graham

Postby thelawnet » 5 Jul 2018, 6:53am

It does not seem to be a record that gets too many attempts.

This should be the current female record holder. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... d-saved-me

However for reasons only known to GWR they decided that an involuntary several month break due to an injury would be deducted from the total.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wor ... le-(female)/

It's self-supported, which should be a criterion in my view (the men's record is rather silly and involved lots of money being sloshed around to make a TV show making it essentially inaccessible)

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 5 Jul 2018, 5:51pm

thelawnet wrote:It's self-supported, which should be a criterion in my view (the men's record is rather silly and involved lots of money being sloshed around to make a TV show making it essentially inaccessible)

There again, most records are "rather silly" when it comes down to it. So, really, how smart is it to e.g. see how many laps of a velodrome you can do in 60 minutes on a UCI-approved bike? Records, like other sports, necessarily have to have rather contrived rules, and needing to be self supporting is just as contrived and artificial as being supported.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

thelawnet

Postby thelawnet » 5 Jul 2018, 6:20pm

pjclinch wrote:
thelawnet wrote:It's self-supported, which should be a criterion in my view (the men's record is rather silly and involved lots of money being sloshed around to make a TV show making it essentially inaccessible)

There again, most records are "rather silly" when it comes down to it. So, really, how smart is it to e.g. see how many laps of a velodrome you can do in 60 minutes on a UCI-approved bike? Records, like other sports, necessarily have to have rather contrived rules, and needing to be self supporting is just as contrived and artificial as being supported.

Not exactly.

The problem with the RTW is that it takes several months, so it isn't really for top athletes, it's more about proving yourself.

A record that's inaccessible to athletes (because it takes months) and to amateurs (because you need £100k of logistics behind you) is a bit pointless.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 5 Jul 2018, 9:41pm

Spoke to a friend of hers in Blair Atholl just 2 nights ago
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life RIP Hannah Hauxwell

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 6 Jul 2018, 1:00pm

thelawnet wrote:
The problem with the RTW is that it takes several months, so it isn't really for top athletes, it's more about proving yourself.

A record that's inaccessible to athletes (because it takes months) and to amateurs (because you need £100k of logistics behind you) is a bit pointless.

My reaction to this is that if anyone wants to prove themselves, but they need a GWR certification to do that, then they have put themselves in with athletes as firmly in the ranks of The Contrived. (That's not a criticism, btw.)

Mark Beaumont drew a very clear line between his sub-80 day record and unsupported attempts. If he can do that then I think anyone else that actually knows what's involved can probably manage too.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...