Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
recumbentpanda
Posts: 182
Joined: 6 Apr 2009, 12:13pm

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby recumbentpanda » 13 Jul 2018, 10:15pm

I see this one as quite a sensible workaround for a real issue:

Even if, on first assembly, you tighten square taper crank bolts to the specified torque, they will need re-tightening after the bike has been ridden for a few days. This is because the hard steel of the square taper B.B. axle ‘beds in’ to the softer aluminium of the cranks.

A knowledgeable home builder will do this. A good bike shop will tell the customer to bring the bike back. In the case of a mail order bike or a shop that doesn’t bother with after sales checks, or a customer who cba to take the bike back, a sticker like that is the only logical thing.

I have dealt with a number of roadside rescues of cyclists who didn’t know this or whose bike shop didn’t tell them. A month or two later the crank loosens and gets trashed in the process.

Airsporter1st
Posts: 264
Joined: 8 Oct 2016, 3:14pm

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby Airsporter1st » 14 Jul 2018, 10:38am

recumbentpanda wrote:I see this one as quite a sensible workaround for a real issue:

Even if, on first assembly, you tighten square taper crank bolts to the specified torque, they will need re-tightening after the bike has been ridden for a few days. This is because the hard steel of the square taper B.B. axle ‘beds in’ to the softer aluminium of the cranks.

A knowledgeable home builder will do this. A good bike shop will tell the customer to bring the bike back. In the case of a mail order bike or a shop that doesn’t bother with after sales checks, or a customer who cba to take the bike back, a sticker like that is the only logical thing.

I have dealt with a number of roadside rescues of cyclists who didn’t know this or whose bike shop didn’t tell them. A month or two later the crank loosens and gets trashed in the process.



...... which would make perfect sense if the sticker warned the rider to check for tightness after riding, but it doesn't.

Peter W
Posts: 54
Joined: 10 Apr 2018, 4:22pm

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby Peter W » 14 Jul 2018, 10:46am

Come come, this won't do. People must be protected from themselves at all costs.

It has long been my belief that the two wheeled bicycle is inherently dangerous and lacking in stability. They should, by law, be fitted with sprung and damped stability outrider wheels, along with strict instructions that people remove them entirely at their own risk. (And never, on crude cheap alloy welded bicycles!)

I have often been aghast at the way my safety has been compromised by thoughtless manufacturers. Did my off road Yamaha trail motor cycle which I bought in the 1980's have a sticker warning me not to drink from the battery when I was dehydrated? No it did not. Did my white water kayak forbid any use in rapids and waterfalls? Did it hack! All they wanted was my money with no concern that I might have been traumatised for life. (Or even deaded.)

I remain eternally grateful to the chief solicitor of a seaside council I was embroiled with over an access issue when, after much writing of letters, he insisted that the purpose of the law he wished to introduce was 'for people's own good.' I cry myself to sleep each night at my irresponsibility in using the legal backing of an organisation I belonged to counter and dismiss his concern for our safety, and carry on regardless.

With present trends, you wonder just what the law will land us with in future?

peetee
Posts: 453
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby peetee » 14 Jul 2018, 10:58am

I for one put forward the immediate action of painting all pavement kerb edges with a continuous thick yellow line and the words 'BEWARE OF TRAFFIC' six feet long and two feet apart.
There are only two true challenges we face as cyclists. Hills and headwinds. Hills can add interest and reward to a ride. Headwinds will never do either.

User avatar
meic
Posts: 18492
Joined: 1 Feb 2007, 9:37pm
Location: Caerfyrddin (Carmarthen)

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby meic » 14 Jul 2018, 11:00am

Did my off road Yamaha trail motor cycle which I bought in the 1980's have a sticker warning me not to drink from the battery when I was dehydrated?

The company's 1980s Kawasaki did have a sticker on the petrol tank telling me not to check the fuel level with a naked flame. :lol:
Yma o Hyd

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 7341
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby Cunobelin » 14 Jul 2018, 11:53am

simonhill wrote:Maybe because bikes can be delivered directly to the consumer in a box. Yet to see a car distributed like this.



Happens more frequently than you think...... two of my colleagues over the years have had cars they built from kits

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 7341
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby Cunobelin » 14 Jul 2018, 11:55am

Many years ago in an LBS I found one labelled... NOT to be used between Dusk and Dawn

No reference to lights, just a Do not use

simonhill
Posts: 1839
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 11:28am
Location: Essex

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby simonhill » 14 Jul 2018, 12:42pm

peetee wrote:I for one put forward the immediate action of painting all pavement kerb edges with a continuous thick yellow line and the words 'BEWARE OF TRAFFIC' six feet long and two feet apart.


Sorry, but it wouldn't work unless it was linked to an app that displayed a big warning message on the screen of the phone that they are looking at instead of where they are walking.

peetee
Posts: 453
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby peetee » 14 Jul 2018, 4:20pm

on the screen of the phone that they are looking at instead of where they are walking.


The warning is meant for people not Darwin Award nominees. :wink:
There are only two true challenges we face as cyclists. Hills and headwinds. Hills can add interest and reward to a ride. Headwinds will never do either.

User avatar
The utility cyclist
Posts: 1366
Joined: 22 Aug 2016, 12:28pm

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby The utility cyclist » 14 Jul 2018, 6:21pm

peetee wrote:It was bought from a well known national car and bike part retailer and the brand is Car**ra.
I would estimate that 8 out of 10 of the their bikes that I see have the front mech sticker in place. Sometimes for years!

Have you maybe stopped to think this isn't actually something that happens that often?
You have a massive ONE in the database, you're guessing on the number you think you've seen which actually isn't that many or significant anyway, you're getting your knickers in a twist over absolutely nothing.
Have you seen the manual with warnings that cars come with, what about printers, anything electrical?
Get a grip for goodness sakes, it's a damn sticker!

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 8557
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 14 Jul 2018, 8:24pm

Hi,
I remember on one of my motorcycle manuals saying something like never race engine above 10K rpm.............max power was at 11.5 K but redline at 12.5K.........ignition cut out on two cylinders was at 11.8K after several seconds, which meant that it would not pull above 11800 in top gear that easy.
I struggled to keep the needle below 13.5 K most of the time :mrgreen:
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

pete75
Posts: 9114
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby pete75 » 14 Jul 2018, 8:32pm

Airsporter1st wrote:
recumbentpanda wrote:I see this one as quite a sensible workaround for a real issue:

Even if, on first assembly, you tighten square taper crank bolts to the specified torque, they will need re-tightening after the bike has been ridden for a few days. This is because the hard steel of the square taper B.B. axle ‘beds in’ to the softer aluminium of the cranks.

A knowledgeable home builder will do this. A good bike shop will tell the customer to bring the bike back. In the case of a mail order bike or a shop that doesn’t bother with after sales checks, or a customer who cba to take the bike back, a sticker like that is the only logical thing.

I have dealt with a number of roadside rescues of cyclists who didn’t know this or whose bike shop didn’t tell them. A month or two later the crank loosens and gets trashed in the process.



...... which would make perfect sense if the sticker warned the rider to check for tightness after riding, but it doesn't.


If it needs tightening after riding and that's done before being next ridden it will be tightened just the same. Makes no difference when it's done as long as it's done.

brynpoeth
Posts: 5336
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby brynpoeth » 14 Jul 2018, 8:35pm

peetee wrote:
on the screen of the phone that they are looking at instead of where they are walking.


The warning is meant for people not Darwin Award nominees. :wink:

A policeperson is concerned about texting while driving
"at least when they are talking they look straight ahead" she whimpered
Alternative facts welcome
......
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

brooksby
Posts: 196
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:02am
Location: Bristol

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby brooksby » 14 Jul 2018, 10:26pm

Cunobelin wrote:Many years ago in an LBS I found one labelled... NOT to be used between Dusk and Dawn

No reference to lights, just a Do not use


I think my kids bmxs, from half...s, have something like that.

peetee
Posts: 453
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Postby peetee » 15 Jul 2018, 9:45am

Have you maybe stopped to think this isn't actually something that happens that often?
You have a massive ONE in the database, you're guessing on the number you think you've seen which actually isn't that many or significant anyway, you're getting your knickers in a twist over absolutely nothing.


Have you maybe stopped to think that this problem may be one of many? The front mech sticker is not relevant to the user. It is there purely to show the constructor how high to set the part above the chainring. Leaving it there often causes it to foul the chain. I have come across more than one owner who has taken time and expense to find out why their bike makes "a flicking noise when the crank goes round". The pre sales checks on many bikes are appalling. Yes it very common to see this problem on that brand, as well as cable ends that foul the crank or stays. I have even seen incorrectly seated cable outers that, once dropped into place, left the bike with no braking power. It's difficult not to 'get your knickers in a twist' when people with no mechanical skill put their faith in a retailer who sell AND maintain bikes to provide a properly functioning and safe machine and are let down so frequently. Would you rather I rubbed my hands with glee and think, as an independent bike mechanic,"Whoopee! More money for me" ?
Last edited by peetee on 15 Jul 2018, 2:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are only two true challenges we face as cyclists. Hills and headwinds. Hills can add interest and reward to a ride. Headwinds will never do either.