Lowering the bar

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pwa

Re: Lowering the bar

Postby pwa » 10 Nov 2018, 7:44am

The frame was originally welded rather than brazed, I imagine. So removal of the top tube must have involved cutting and grinding to leave remaining surfaces clean? And a new top tube put in by what process? Welding or brazing? Just curious.

PT1029

Postby PT1029 » 10 Nov 2018, 8:45am

Hope the seat tube remained straight.
Thorn lowered my partner's top tube quite a few years ago (new frame- brazed joints - built in Bridgewater, couldn't stand over the top tube). It came back with a lowered (a bit, as agreed) top tube, but expansion/cooling etc resulted in the seat tube being bent at the top tube joint. I noticed it as I pulled it out of the delivery box, so someone else must have noticed before it went into the box.
Partner then got ill for some time, so we never got round to sending it back. She's happy with it though, each time I look at it I think "Aghhh, bent!"

ubert767

Postby ubert767 » 10 Nov 2018, 8:53am

The tube has been neatly fillet brazed leaving no witness marks. The seat pin extends down beyond the new junction site (therefore provides added strength) and fits well. As I said, I'm very pleased with the job.
Rob

PH

Postby PH » 10 Nov 2018, 9:07am

So is it now a Thorn or a Bob Jackson?
Good to see BJ still taking on custom jobs, I keep reading that they've stopped doing so then seeing examples that show otherwise. It's certainly now a unique bike, hope it gives many miles of pleasure.

ubert767

Postby ubert767 » 10 Nov 2018, 9:21am

I suppose it is still a Thorn, she hates "bling" and all the graphics which appear on bikes so the only remaining identifier is the "Thorn" head badge ( and the one in the cast Rohloff dropouts of course). I found BJ good to deal with and the turn around was exactly as promised. "Happy wife is a happy life"

Rob

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » 11 Nov 2018, 12:42am

Rob

Cracking job....and a damn sight cheaper than a new frame (with couplings).

Sticking with your original plan.....TOP decision..... :wink:

ubert767

Postby ubert767 » 11 Nov 2018, 10:30am

Thanks for the positive comment Tiberius (and others), I'm not naturally someone brave enough to go against majority advice but there didn't seem to be too many sensible options.

Rob

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 11 Nov 2018, 4:00pm

nice to kmow that jobs like that can be done, thanks for sharing

pwa

Postby pwa » 11 Nov 2018, 5:51pm

There is something special about a significantly modified bike, tailored to a particular persons needs, that is missing in a bike in standard form.

Mike_Ayling

Postby Mike_Ayling » 11 Nov 2018, 8:55pm

ubert767 wrote:
Mike_Ayling wrote:
ubert767 wrote:Just to complete the picture....................

Back in July of this year I asked the forum for its opinion on a frame modification to my wife's Thorn Nomad to reduce the height of the top tube. Several responses were offered, for which I was grateful, and the consensus was that it was best to replace the frame rather than modify. I did some searching around but couldn't find a satisfactory replacement Rohloff frame so decided to go ahead with my original plan.
Just received it back from Bob Jacksons and built it up today. I'm really pleased with the results, they did a lovely job using the original head tube and SS coupling.

Modified.JPG

Rob

Would you like to share with us what it cost?

Mike

Don't mind if I do, the total cost was £420 which includes dent removal, respray and collection & delivery.

Rob

Very reasonable.

Mike