longest pannier rack available?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tommydog

Re: longest pannier rack available?

Post by tommydog »

backnotes wrote:Same site mentions these brackets that move things up and back:

https://www.cyclingabout.com/all-about- ... sc-brakes/

Yes I have seen that article on the site and actually have one of the racks listed (tortec)

As for the tubus mounting kits, they get mixed reviews;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tubus-rear-rack-extension

It seems they only provide an inch of extra clearance at most.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

backnotes wrote:
Have you tried an image search on "Dubbelzitter". These are the twin child seats on a rear rack that get used in Holland. The frame one of those goes on might be the basis of a bodge, subject to being able to attach whatever it is you want to carry.

I think this is probably the way to go. Not really familiar with these dutch racks, but would prefer something that is steel, so that I can weld it and make up some mountings if necessary. Not bothered about weight , would much rather have strength! Do you have any recommendations for these Dubbelzitter racks? Any that are Dutch made rather than Chinese imports?
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

RickH wrote:What about this

I have seen that before, but can't find much information on them, in terms of reviews or even what material / size tube they are made from. I suspect they may be cheap Chinese imports.
tommydog

longest pannier rack available?

Post by tommydog »

In the end I went for the Axiom Uni-Fit MK3 Journey Rack. They did make one in cromo steel which I really wanted, but it seems these are now out of production. If anyone has the steel one I would be interested.

So for now I am making do with the Aluminium model. It allows the rack to sit further back than any other solution I have seen and is perfect for my needs. I only have a 26" bike, but I used the longest brackets in the 20" position and it gives me plenty of foot clearance, and also clears the mudguard struts. I really would recommend this rack for anyone struggling with clearance. Perfect for bikes with short chainstay. The only thing I wish is I had the steel version which is now out of production, so if anyone has one to sell give me a message!

Here is the rack:

maximus meridius

Post by maximus meridius »

reohn2 wrote: 1 Aug 2018, 11:02am Really long pannier racks serve no good purposes as they either place the load further back on the bike therebye making the front wheel light especially when climbing leading to instability.Or the load is carried to far forward leading to heel strike.
Both scenarios are made worse by short chainstays.
A really longer pannier rack is only useful with very long chainstays such as the previous post suggests where a cargo bike is ideal for such racks.
(reviving old thread after internet search)

Actually, in my case, a really long rack would serve the purpose of getting the rear light out beyond the pannier. I just bought a Carradice Bike Bureau, but if the light is mounted on the rack, it is obscured by the Bike Bureau from some angles.

Anybody got any other suggestions for a long pannier rack?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Rather than looking for a new rack could you extend the light mounting plate?
You'll need a couple of lengths of threaded stud, bolts to match the thread of the stud, some hollow tube to pass the studding through and some alloy plate for the new light mounting plate...
..fabricate the alloy plate in such a way that you can attach your rear light to it, and allows access for the studding to attach to it.
Then measure and cut your tube, to the length that your new rear light mounting plate projects from your rear rack.
Pass the studding through the alloy plate, then through the tubes (which act as spacers) and then attach to your existing rack.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
freiston

Post by freiston »

How about fashioning a spacer/extension bracket/block for the mounting plate? A down-side could be that it would make the light more vulnerable or that other weaknesses might be introduced.

Edit: cross-posted with cycle tramp.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

20230326_141006.jpg
The above is a picture of what I mean (I used to be a professional draughtsman- so the above is just a shocking 3 minute sketch)

Just noticed I haven't labelled the threaded studs as threaded studs. If anyone still cares at this point, the thread studs are the things that look like stroppy caterpillars.

Quality monitoring would have sent that one back to me with a very impolite message!
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

20230326_141006.jpg
20230326_141006.jpg (35.02 KiB) Viewed 386 times
maximus meridius

Thanks for the advice to make something. Yes, I'd thought about that. But the p clips and sheet of aluminium that I'd bought to make a lamp bracket (for a rack that doesn't have one) still haven't been used. So not sure when this might get done.

I've played with the position of the pannier, but need to road test it. I was rather hoping there might be something ready made. Or just that somebody had identified this problem already, and built a suitable rack.
maximus meridius

cycle tramp wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 2:12pm 20230326_141006.jpg

The above is a picture of what I mean (I used to be a professional draughtsman- so the above is just a shocking 3 minute sketch)

Just noticed I haven't labelled the threaded studs as threaded studs. If anyone still cares at this point, the thread studs are the things that look like stroppy caterpillars.

Quality monitoring would have sent that one back to me with a very impolite message!
Apologies, I should have said thank you for taking the trouble to draw that up. So thank you.

On the rack I use there's no plate at the moment for a light. So your fine design wouldn't work I'm afraid. I have one of those plastic slide in clip type things, screwed to a random bit of aluminium, that the lamp I use fits to.

I can imagine that if I were to go down the DIY adaption route whatever I come up with would involve p-clips. And a suitably shaped piece of aluminium sheet. Or something.

One thing I have learnt is that panniers (various) and rack-packs (various) don't always mate with the racks the way one might hope. I have 6 racks, though I think I only bought one of them as a discrete purchase. The rest were acquired with bikes. So I have some that work well with the pannier(s) I want to use, but no light plate, and vice versa.

I haven't got a dynohub, but I do have SKS Chromos with the rear reflector. Apparently the battery B&M Secula (?) mounts to the same holes, but there are reports on the SJS website of it turning on/off randomly. And I personally think that reflector is too low, so I could well end up getting one of these https://freshtripe.co.uk/mud-guard-moun ... t-bracket/. Or perhaps just making one. After 36 years of DIY house repairs, I'm practically certain I've got a T shaped mending plate I could bend into the appropriate shape.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I have a dynamo rear light mounted onto a pannier rack. The rails extend back beyond the light mount which is good when the panniers aren't attached because they effectively become a protective cage. Even with the fully loaded panniers attached and bags strapped to the top of the rack above the light, the light can still be seen from behind. From the side, I have various retro-reflective surfaces on clothing or luggage as well as on my tyre walls and I'm not convinced that the risk caused by the rear light being obscured from the side by the panniers is significantly greater than the lamp being visible from the side.

That being said, I did buy a small battery lamp and fashion a bracket (utilising a simple metal "L" plate and the seatstay mount that came with the lamp) fixed to the rear mudguard, well astern of the panniers. I would worry about vibration and stresses on the chromoplastic mudguard if the lamp was mounted a lot but I only use it when I'm concerned about visibility of the rack mounted lamp, which is, in practice, never - I'm more likely to use it as a secondary light in fog. The photo is at an angle but in reality, the rear lamp when mounted is pointing horizontal.
IMG_4939crop.JPG
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)