longest pannier rack available?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tommydog

longest pannier rack available?

Post by tommydog »

I am just doing some research and wondered what the longest pannier rack available is (to buy off the shelf)? The Jandd Expedition Rack is nearly 43cm long:

https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FREXP

Any other really long racks that anyone knows of?
backnotes

Re: longest pannier rack available?

Post by backnotes »

The Pashley Pronto / Mailstar / Elephant Bike https://www.pashley.co.uk/bikes/carrier ... pronto.php has a long rear rack that sticks out beyond the rear mudguard. The rack has a fixed geometry, and the seat stays it attaches to are very sloped, so probably wouldn't fit bosses on a "normal" bike without a bit of bodging. It is listed as an "option" on the tab on the page linked above, but no idea if it is available separately as well.

Our postal delivery worker showed me how they used to fit a third pannier cross-wise on the back rail of the rack where it overhangs the rear mudguard.

Just measured mine, and the straight bit of the rail on the rack platform measures 47cm. Not very helpful, I know, unless you can source a spare / secondhand rack and then bodge it to fit a different bike.

Otherwise you could always buy a Kona Ute http://www.konaworld.com/ute.cfm which takes long racks to a whole new level!
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

backnotes wrote:
Otherwise you could always buy a Kona Ute http://www.konaworld.com/ute.cfm which takes long racks to a whole new level!

Thanks for your reply. I don't mind a bit of bodging, but not looking to purchase another bike. I am surprised to see no extra long Dutch racks, however searching the internet does not seem to yield much.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Really long pannier racks serve no good purposes as they either place the load further back on the bike therebye making the front wheel light especially when climbing leading to instability.Or the load is carried to far forward leading to heel strike.
Both scenarios are made worse by short chainstays.
A really longer pannier rack is only useful with very long chainstays such as the previous post suggests where a cargo bike is ideal for such racks.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

tommydog wrote:
backnotes wrote:I don't mind a bit of bodging, but not looking to purchase another bike.

Sorry - new bike "sledgehammer" to crack a slightly longer rack "nut" was not a totally serious suggestion.

Have you tried an image search on "Dubbelzitter". These are the twin child seats on a rear rack that get used in Holland. The frame one of those goes on might be the basis of a bodge, subject to being able to attach whatever it is you want to carry.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve with the added length - a longer platform extending forwards, shifting carried weight backwards on bike, avoiding pannier conflict with heel etc. etc.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

backnotes wrote:
Not sure what you are trying to achieve with the added length - a longer platform extending forwards, shifting carried weight backwards on bike, avoiding pannier conflict with heel etc. etc.

Its mainly to avoid pannier conflict with heels. I have a short chainstay and have very large feet. Other than getting smaller panniers (which I dont want to do), a longer rear rack would be a good solution.
RickH

Post by RickH »

What about this

It could probably be fitted further forward than shown in the link to reduce the lifting effect on the front.

Alternative thoughts:
  • If the amount of movement needed & your frame has double eyelets at the rear you could make (or have made) a pair of triangular plates that would bolt into both eyelets & give you a 3rd hole to mount the rack further back by a few cm.
  • Use the panniers on the front & something higher up on the back. (Last time I went away with my bike I had slightly too much stuff for my small panniers, which I generally use on the rear, so I used them on the front & a 13l bikepacking style seat pack on the rear to take the surplus.)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:Really long pannier racks serve no good purposes as they either place the load further back on the bike therebye making the front wheel light especially when climbing leading to instability.Or the load is carried to far forward leading to heel strike.
A really longer pannier rack is only useful with very long chainstays such as the previous post suggests where a cargo bike is ideal for such racks.

Although...

If you ever want to go mad with the carrying you are free to borrow my rack for the Circe Helios - the frame has 98cm per side of carrying goodness & nearly all within the wheelbase! :D

Circe Helios cargo rack
Circe Helios cargo rack
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

You could have one custom made to your own specification:
http://clandestine.cc/racks/
freiston

Post by freiston »

RickH wrote:Alternative thoughts:
  • If the amount of movement needed & your frame has double eyelets at the rear you could make (or have made) a pair of triangular plates that would bolt into both eyelets & give you a 3rd hole to mount the rack further back by a few cm.

I like that idea.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Not sure if you have already seen this article

https://www.cyclingabout.com/rear-panni ... clearance/

which claims to list racks that can help where heel clearance is an issue.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Same site mentions these brackets that move things up and back:

https://www.cyclingabout.com/all-about- ... sc-brakes/
oldun

Post by oldun »

Tommydog ,

This has been an ongoing problem for me with my largish feet . This year i have solved the problem by cutting about 1 cm off the heels of my shoes and along with having my panniers fixed as far back as possible , this actually works great for me . :wink:

All prepared for my ride in September now :D :D :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Really long pannier racks serve no good purposes as they either place the load further back on the bike therebye making the front wheel light especially when climbing leading to instability.Or the load is carried to far forward leading to heel strike.

Although...

If you ever want to go mad with the carrying you are free to borrow my rack for the Circe Helios - the frame has 98cm per side of carrying goodness & nearly all within the wheelbase! :D

DSC_0758-800x450.JPG

Thanks for the offer but where would I put Mrs R2,she wouldn't fit in one of the many panniers the rack would take :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:Thanks for the offer but where would I put Mrs R2,she wouldn't fit in one of the many panniers the rack would take :wink:

Add some footrests & a seat pad she could just ride with all the rest of the stuff you're hauling - a good test for the new bionic knees (aren't you supposed to be able to jump over buildings now? :wink: )