Bearing question relating to the rear hub on a single speed childs bike?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
John_S

Bearing question relating to the rear hub on a single speed childs bike?

Postby John_S » 12 Aug 2018, 5:02pm

Hi All,

Recently we bought, in haste, a secondhand childs Cnoc Islabike for our daughter. Basically our daughter get pinching her brother's bike to use, much to his displeasure, and we were going away on a camping holiday when my daughter would have the chance to practice her new found riding skills so a bike was needed.

There was a secondhand Islabike for sale on out doorstep and so with a need for a bike there and then we bought it more in haste with the need for a bike straight away. However stupidly we didn't really check it over thoroughly (partly due to me being in pain whilst partially immobilised and on crutches following an accident but that's a story for another day). Anyway having bought the bike now that I'm more mobile I've been able to check things more thoroughly and the brakes need some attention and there's something up with the hub which isn't running smoothly at all.

Therefore this afternoon I've removed the rear wheel to see what is going on because part of me wondered if for example the rear axle was broken. Anyway the axle isn't broken but the grease on the bearings was very dirty and dried or gummed up. This is reference to the grease on the bearings around the axle/hub itself not the single speed freewheel because I don't actually have the necessary tool to remove the freewheel.

Anyway the bearings are contained in a sort of cage which is enclosed on one side. Stupidly I forgot to take a photo of which way around the cage goes when reinstalling the bearings and I just can't remember which way around they went.

Therefore once I've re-greased the bearings I'll be grateful if anyone can tell me which way around the bearing cage should go.

I've attached some photos below showing the bearing balls in their cage. Then the first photo in this post shows the axle with the drive side nut still in place and the first option of putting the bearing cage on so that the open side of the cage points to the inside of the bike frame on the side and the closed side of the cage is facing outwards closest to the axle nuts and the freewheel.

And in the second post I'll put a photo of the alternative option of having the bearing cage so that the open side of the bearing cage showing the balls is on the outermost side closest to the axle nut so that the side of the cage that is closed is facing inwards to the frame wheel.

Sorry if this is a silly question and many thanks to anyone who can help because your help will be much appreciated as I try to reassemble the hub / rear wheel.

Thank you,

John
Image Attachments
IMG_5579.JPG
IMG_5579.JPG (19.09 KiB) Viewed 124 times
IMG_5577.JPG
IMG_5577.JPG (23.69 KiB) Viewed 124 times
IMG_5575.JPG
IMG_5575.JPG (20.15 KiB) Viewed 124 times

John_S

Re: Bearing question relating to the rear hub on a single speed childs bike?

Postby John_S » 12 Aug 2018, 5:09pm

Hi again,

Firstly my apologies to anyone who was really quick to read my original post because I had to edit it because I realised that the description of which way around the bearing was didn't match the photo. Anyway I think that I've corrected that now.

This photo should show the second option of having the bearing cage so that the open side of the bearing cage showing the balls is on the outermost side closest to the axle nut so that the side of the cage that is closed side is facing inwards to the frame wheel.

Thanks again in advance to anyone who can offer any advice which will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

John
Image Attachments
IMG_5589.JPG
IMG_5589.JPG (22.93 KiB) Viewed 123 times

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 12 Aug 2018, 6:04pm

the first photo is correct.

BTW, better than any clip is using (more, usually 9 in a rear hub) loose balls instead.

sorry to hear of your prang, hope you heal up soon

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John_S

Postby John_S » 12 Aug 2018, 8:55pm

Hi Brucey,

That's great and many thanks for your advice which is much appreciated!

I've now put the bearing cages and axle back in the hub and I've installed the rear wheel so this job on the bike is done thanks to your advice.

Also thanks for your message about healing soon with is very nice of you. I came off my bike on loose gravel coming down hard on mu hip injuring the hip as well as fracturing a bone in my pelvis which was really painful. As a result I'm currently on an enforced absence from cycling which is very frustrating but I've just got to be patient waiting for the bone to heal itself.

Thanks again!

John