Moulton AM5 Sturmey Archer hub

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AndyPat

Moulton AM5 Sturmey Archer hub

Postby AndyPat » 16 Sep 2018, 3:53pm

My Moulton AM5 Sturmey Archer 5 speed Sprinter hub needs repair or replacing. Can you suggest who/how/where best to have this done?

What is the availability of old Sturmey Archer parts, like the Sprinter control lever, sprockets etc.?

Is it possible to fit a 7 or 8 or 11 speed hub to a 1996 AM5? I currently have 15T x 50T giving a range of about 38" to 85".

The Sturmey X-RF8 looks ok for small wheels but what sprocket/chain wheel would fit the frame? Has anyone used an X-RF8 on an AM frame?

Brucey

Re: Moulton AM5 Sturmey Archer hub

Postby Brucey » 16 Sep 2018, 8:08pm

you can buy spare parts (including a new internal) from SJS. You can also get a new shifter there that is the right one for a 'sprinter' too.

The SA 8s hub suits small-wheelers fairly well, in that it only gears up (i.e. bottom gear is 1:1 ratio, so a 30T chainring and a 20T sprocket would give a gear about 30" on a moulton with 20" wheels). However it is heavy, inefficient, and prone to wearing out/breaking. Gear ratios aside perhaps, a shimano Alfine 8 hub (or a 'premium' quality nexus 8) is a much better hub.

FWIW the most common faults with 'sprinter' 5s hubs are resolved by fitting a new axle assembly (including sun pinions), the snag being that there are two types (dog-locker and ball-locker) and you won't know (for sure) which it is until you take it apart. The other parts which often break in sprinter hubs are inexpensive and/or common with NIG type 3s hubs.

BTW one of the conversions you can do is to fit a BWR driver and convert a 'sprinter' hub to accept two sprockets, thus extending the gear range once a derailleur is fitted.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~