Genesis Vagabond

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bez
Posts: 1068
Joined: 10 Feb 2015, 10:41am
Contact:

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Postby Bez » 5 Oct 2018, 11:31am

14kg? Pfft, those tyres came off something that's 15.4kg :D

Look, it's so heavy it actually sank into the trail this morning.

Image

hoppy58
Posts: 176
Joined: 9 Mar 2011, 3:07pm

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Postby hoppy58 » 5 Oct 2018, 11:34am

...Glad you like it! They are stable aren't they. Egged on by my daughter I also rode no-handed, for about 300 m with barely a wobble! I used to have a Surly LHT (26" wheel) and the thing I notice is how the Vagabond carries its momentum really well when the roads turns skywards, whereas the LHT used to stutter and you'd have to change down - maybe this is the difference in wheel size...but I tend to think that Genesis have got the geometry bang on.

Come on, lets have a look!

reohn2
Posts: 31060
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Postby reohn2 » 5 Oct 2018, 6:18pm

I agree about the goemetry but 5mm on the chainstays and 0.5degrees slacker on the seatube would've been better still.
I'll get some photos up when I get the chance :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 31060
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Postby reohn2 » 9 Oct 2018, 7:07pm

Here's some photos :)
Image Attachments
20181006_122242.jpg
20181006_122220.jpg
20181006_122122.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

kwackers
Posts: 11831
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Postby kwackers » 9 Oct 2018, 10:21pm

Wot! No mudguards?

reohn2
Posts: 31060
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Postby reohn2 » 10 Oct 2018, 8:34am

kwackers wrote:Wot! No mudguards?

Not yet,but if I fit a pair of 2.1 knobblies there may be no room for them.
It's the first bike I've owned since I can't remember when that didn't have them,and I'm surprised how mucky me and the bike are getting even in such dry weather as we're having :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

hoppy58
Posts: 176
Joined: 9 Mar 2011, 3:07pm

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Postby hoppy58 » 10 Oct 2018, 5:09pm

That's nice.

I use SKS beavertails when using my Vagabond off-road - very sturdy and keep quite a lot of the muck off. They stop spray from getting in your face and on-road, would keep most of it off your back. Here's a photo, not very clear, sorry - with 2.1 kenda small blocks - plenty of clearance...I lengthened the rear guard with a home-made extension. The front guard fits via the sturdy, (supplied) bracket which bolts on to the front fork, whilst the rear had to be cobbled together because of the lack of mounting on the rear seat-stay bridge. I think I used a reflector bracket.

[Image. by hop58, on Flickr*]

Grarea
Posts: 309
Joined: 18 Jan 2017, 9:03am

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Postby Grarea » 13 Oct 2018, 4:18pm

reohn2 wrote:Here's some photos :)

what are the shifters attached to there?

reohn2
Posts: 31060
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Postby reohn2 » 13 Oct 2018, 5:11pm

Grarea wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Here's some photos :)

what are the shifters attached to there?

They're mentioned in the OP.
They're 9sp b/end levers mounted in Kelly Take Off's:- http://www.kellybike.com/product/takeoff/ They're available from SIS cycles a £70 :shock: but come up on Ebay occassionally.
They place the gearlevers in board of the brake levers protected from falls,yet easy to operate.I ride off road quite a bit where a a fall can ruin a pair of STI's.
Initially they need a bit of a learning curve to become natural,but I like them.I prefer them with down tube levers fitted as they're a little longer and not cranked like b/end levers but those levers were what I found in "the box" when building up the bike.Down the road I may swap them for D/T levers.
They also have the advantage of being able to switch the lever on the rear mech to friction(front is already friction)should the indexing get messed up if the rear mech gets damaged or hanger get's bent miles from anywhere.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 31060
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Postby reohn2 » 13 Oct 2018, 5:22pm

Hoppy
Thanks for the heads up on the m/guards,I'm looking at the options available :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Grarea
Posts: 309
Joined: 18 Jan 2017, 9:03am

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Postby Grarea » 13 Oct 2018, 6:39pm

reohn2 wrote:
Grarea wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Here's some photos :)

what are the shifters attached to there?

They're mentioned in the OP.
They're 9sp b/end levers mounted in Kelly Take Off's:- http://www.kellybike.com/product/takeoff/ They're available from SIS cycles a £70 :shock: but come up on Ebay occassionally.
They place the gearlevers in board of the brake levers protected from falls,yet easy to operate.I ride off road quite a bit where a a fall can ruin a pair of STI's.
Initially they need a bit of a learning curve to become natural,but I like them.I prefer them with down tube levers fitted as they're a little longer and not cranked like b/end levers but those levers were what I found in "the box" when building up the bike.Down the road I may swap them for D/T levers.
They also have the advantage of being able to switch the lever on the rear mech to friction(front is already friction)should the indexing get messed up if the rear mech gets damaged or hanger get's bent miles from anywhere.



I didn't realise they were something that was made.
I was thinking I wouldn't mind fitting my 'road/utility/everything/mooching about on bridle paths' bike with drops.
I see that Colin made something similar.
They look ideal.
I suspect that positioning is pretty important.
Like you say, lever length, distance from bar etc as well.

Thanks for that.

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 3689
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Postby RickH » 14 Oct 2018, 12:13am

You can still get 3TTT Tiramisu bar ends from Planet X for £5 a pop, which could easily form the basis of a home-brew version. (Despite what it says in the description they are not 25.4mm they clamp on the main, narrow part of drop bars - 22mm? - so could be clamped anywhere on pretty much any bar.)

reohn2
Posts: 31060
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Postby reohn2 » 14 Oct 2018, 12:27am

Grarea
There's a lot thread on the forum somewhere with some pretty neat home made Kelly versions on it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

colin54
Posts: 944
Joined: 24 Sep 2013, 4:34pm

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Postby colin54 » 14 Oct 2018, 12:37am

Here's Colin's Thumbies / Kelly skinflint thread, best make a cup of tea before starting it.......



viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57027&hilit=skinflints