individual membership carer concession

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

I have spoken today with both the 'cycling uk' and with their insurance provider.
Neither was able to clarify what 'proof' they require in order to meet carer status. {I was told that in the event of a claim through cycling uk's indemnity insurance, my claim to 'carer' status would be looked into! }
Can anyone on here advise further from personal experience?
many thanks. kev...many years awheel.
kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

cycling uk will gladly take my money for full membership, paying a reduced fee as a carer. [concession.]
For interest, today they were unable to tell me what proof I would need to support claiming 'carer' status in the event of a claim under their indemnity insurance scheme? nor could their insurers.
I wondered if anyone on here has any knowledge on this?...do I have to be in receipt of carer allowance, resident with the disabled person...etc..?
Many thanks, kev the rev. many years awheel on steel.
Psamathe

Re: individual membership carer concession

Post by Psamathe »

kevtherev wrote:.... {I was told that in the event of a claim through cycling uk's indemnity insurance, my claim to 'carer' status would be looked into! }.....

That sounds totally daft. My opinion is that you are asking a perfectly reasonable question. Their suggesting your eligibility be decided after you've had an accident (making a claim) beggars belief.

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

For what it's worth the disabled/carers concession came in as a result of a 2012 AGM motion:
AGM 2012 wrote:Motion 8 - Proposed Michael McGeever, seconded by T Cook
(i)
That CTC discounted membership rates be extended to include those who are Registered Disabled, can demonstrate conditions that create similar limited access to cycling and to the recognised carers of such members.
(ii)
That CTC modify its member groups’ grants scheme to encourage access to cycling for those with disabilities, encouraging participating groups to claim grants which contribute to the out of pocket expenses for participation in cycle touring activities by local members affected by (i) above and their supporters.

Not much of a definition but possibly better than the OP has received thus far.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

So you would have to be the carer of a registered disabled CYCLIST to claim the concession.
So 2 memberships would be in place, that of the registered disabled cyclist and the carer of said person ?
That sounds reasonable.

My wife is registered disabled, i am her carer, she does not cycle, therefore i cannot claim a concession.
My wife is registered disabled, i am her carer, we share a tandem as she cannot ride a solo bicycle, therefore i can claim a concession.

That still sounds reasonable.

But does it say that anywhere in the club regs ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Following the relevant links from the website gets you to a page that gives no indication that the disabled person you care for needs to be a Cycling UK member.
Untitled.png

I'm not aware of anywhere you might find additional guidance and would usually direct the OP to National Office. Since the OP has already tried that route my only other suggestion is to contact the Trutees.
kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Many thanks to all who have replied, much appreciated.
Like some other members I guess, I joined this cycling organisation as a continuation of the CTC, [apologies to anyone who this might offend :wink: ]... the indemnity insurance has always offered a great peace of mind and this is why I seek clarification.
Over the last year, my personal caring responsibilities have increased significantly, which is why I am pursuing this line.
I hope to hear more from cycling uk's insurers next week and will update this thread. Kev.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kevtherev wrote:Many thanks to all who have replied, much appreciated.
Like some other members I guess, I joined this cycling organisation as a continuation of the CTC, [apologies to anyone who this might offend :wink: ]... the indemnity insurance has always offered a great peace of mind and this is why I seek clarification.
Over the last year, my personal caring responsibilities have increased significantly, which is why I am pursuing this line.
I hope to hear more from cycling uk's insurers next week and will update this thread. Kev.

I guess the important thing is helping the person concerned. I'd suggest checking with any house insurance you have as often these policies cover 3rd party liability and that might provide the cover you are seeking (but like you have been doing, check don't assume). My experience with house insurance is when you call them up to check on policy cover, if the agent you speak to does not know the answer they will refer up (whilst you are on the phone) to get you an accurate answer. Before calling make sure you have the exact question(s) you need answer(s) to prepared. I've spent over 2 hrs on the phone to my house insurance company before clarifying an aspect of my cover. And, as they record all calls, make a note of the date & time of the call so should the worst happen (and you need to make a claim) then any confirmation that have given over the phone can be quoted back to them by providing them the date & time of the call (and I've had BarclayCard go back over their recorded phone calls before to confirm something).

Ian
kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

As I half expected, nobody got back to me with further clarification on this subject, from either cycling uk or their insurer.
I guess I could expect the same kind of inefficiency if I were ever to make a claim, so for now, I will look elsewhere.
I just wish that they didn’t offer such a concession if they are not able to offer transparency.
British cycling offers a decent package, and I’m inclined to forget about the carer aspect. :(
I remember a while back reading about a splinter group from this organisation, (cycletouring?) ... does anyone know if that prospered and whether or not they were able to offer third party insurance?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps you would be better first looking at what they would expect you to prove, before considering the evidence to prove it. Perhaps "recognised" is the key here.

The first part is that the person needs to be registered disabled.

You mentioned Carer's allowance and among other things, that requires the claimant to be providing at least 35 hours a week of care - a big commitment. Even then the benefit is subject to stringent conditions which might prevent a claim, even if somebody were providing more than that level of care.
https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

Presumably, if there were to be a close family relationship, and both people were living in the same household, this would not be an issue but it can't be so clear-cut if it's a friend who pops round. So, if somebody were to be registered disabled and living with their spouse, sibling, parent or adult child, that person would be a recognised carer, but I'd not bet on it.

I fancy that part of the problem is that the people at CyclingUK simply don't know and in any event cannot advise on insurance unless they are suitably qualified. Presumably, this policy is provided by an insurance company on behalf of CyclingUK. Perhaps that's the place to address your query as they would be the people investigating any claim.

You are certainly right to sort this out before it becomes an issue. (Sorry for not being more to the point.)

And FWIW, we did have something similar about the definition of "unwaged" in respect of the relevant membership concession. I don't remember anybody mentioning the potential insurance implications but if you think about it, they are pretty much the same.
gaz

Post by gaz »

kevtherev wrote:... does anyone know if that prospered and whether or not they were able to offer third party insurance?

The Touring Cyclist Club Ltd was (will be?) dissolved 16 Oct 2018. IIRC they described all insurance roads as leading to Butterworth Spengler, Cycling UK's insurance partner.
kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Thanks both, to third crank and gaz.
(That must be dissolution in 2017?)
I am likely heading for BC “ride” membership now...and if the urge to time trial comes back, upgrade to “race” membership.
Thanks again to all on here for contributions.
Farewell to what was the CTC.