Tinkling sound under drive from rear wheel

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NetworkMan

Re: Tinkling sound under drive from rear wheel

Postby NetworkMan » 3 Nov 2018, 3:07pm

I've just taken out the axle and checked the freehub retaining bolt with a 10 mm allen key. It's tight. If I rotate the freehub very, very slowly I can hear two ticks close together followed by some silent rotation followed by two more ticks. I think that is telling me that both pawls are engaging OK (not stuck) and it sounds just the same as my other Shimano freehubs by the way. If anything was sticking I'd expect the ticking sound to be variable, not uniform.

Any more ideas before I re-grease the cones and reassemble?

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 3 Nov 2018, 4:03pm

is there slack in the freehub bearings?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NetworkMan

Postby NetworkMan » 3 Nov 2018, 4:18pm

Brucey wrote:is there slack in the freehub bearings?

cheers

Thanks for the speedy reply. No, not really, just a barely detectable trace if I try and rock the freehub.

NetworkMan

Postby NetworkMan » 7 Nov 2018, 8:01pm

Wheel back together and surprise, surprise it's still tinkling. I'll ride around to the LBS and see if they can find anything I've missed.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 8 Nov 2018, 12:42pm

It might be something inside the hollow section of your rim?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

NetworkMan

Postby NetworkMan » 8 Nov 2018, 3:14pm

Vorpal wrote:It might be something inside the hollow section of your rim?

No, only under drive, see my initial post. Also shaking the wheel I can't hear anything. I still suspect spokes/eyelets.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 8 Nov 2018, 3:30pm

NetworkMan wrote:
Vorpal wrote:It might be something inside the hollow section of your rim?

No, only under drive, see my initial post. Also shaking the wheel I can't hear anything. I still suspect spokes/eyelets.

I forgot about the 'under drive'. Yes, spokes/eyelets is where I would look, too.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 8 Nov 2018, 3:38pm

I've just re-read the previous posts and it does seem to me that it may well be the spokes and the eyelets somehow making a noise. MA3 is a single-eyelet rim that has a propensity for cracking around the drive side eyelets

leading to....

so it may be cracking in progress making the noise but then again just the eyelets moving in the rim, or the spoke nipples moving in the eyelets can make a funny noise too.

Wheels that have not been used for a while tend to dry out and perhaps corrode in storage, so are more likely to make noises when they are used again. I quite often run waxoyl around the eyelets on wheels that "see a lot of weather" and this helps to prevent funny noises too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MikeDee

Tinkling sound under drive from rear wheel

Postby MikeDee » 10 Nov 2018, 5:12pm

If the noise one happens while pedaling (the OP said it's quiet while coasting), why are you guys focused on the wheel? Could it be a chain noise coming from a maladjusted derailleur?

AndyK

Postby AndyK » 10 Nov 2018, 5:27pm

A long shot, but I don't think anyone else has suggested it yet: Is there a plastic "spoke protector" disc fitted between the cassette and the wheel?

My Genesis Equilibrium made a tinkling sound when pedalling in the lowest few gears for some months after I bought it. Eventually I narrowed the possibilities down to the plastic spoke protector, removed it and - ta da! Problem solved. I'd never liked it anyway - it looked tacky an out-of-place on a nice road bike. I think it's down to the flexing of the spokes against the clips that hold the protector against them, amplified by the body of the protector.

Of course a few months later the chain unshipped on the inside, jammed in the gap and damaged two spokes, but that's not the point...

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 10 Nov 2018, 5:46pm

I’d guess it’s a bent rear mech hanger. Either straighten it, or replace it, before the inevitable consequences occur.

NetworkMan

Postby NetworkMan » 11 Nov 2018, 10:15am

It's usually a good idea to read the initial post first........

peetee

Postby peetee » 11 Nov 2018, 12:13pm

Just how frequent is the sound? Is it erratic, every couple of seconds, several tinkles then a gap, proportional to speed, accentuated by poor road surface?
Also worth trying to create the noise off the bike. Roll the bike forward a few inches at a time. Lean the bike over pressing your foot on the axle end to create tension in the spokes. Repeat leaning it the other way.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

NetworkMan

Postby NetworkMan » 11 Nov 2018, 3:20pm

peetee wrote:Just how frequent is the sound? Is it erratic, every couple of seconds, several tinkles then a gap, proportional to speed, accentuated by poor road surface?
Also worth trying to create the noise off the bike. Roll the bike forward a few inches at a time. Lean the bike over pressing your foot on the axle end to create tension in the spokes. Repeat leaning it the other way.

Very many thanks for that, peetee.
Your post made me try again to reproduce the problem with a stationary bike which I have just managed to do by a combination of weight on saddle with one arm/body, left foot on ground and right foot pressing hard on RH pedal at 3 o'clock.
It was then pretty clear (I think) that the sound was coming from the region of the cranks which I moved along with the wheel from the old bike!
But what? I'd checked crankbolts and chainring bolts. The BB is new to this bike. It made the noise with both little and middle rings. It wouldn't make the noise with the big ring but I'd thought that this might just be the lower drive torque at the back wheel.
Look at the big ring. Ah! there is a pin to stop the chain getting trapped between ring and crank (all my bikes have this) and it is in contact with the crank. Could this be making intermittent contact during pedalling? Flex the ring slightly and put a piece of folded paper between pin and crank. Take a test ride. No noise!

Fingers crossed this is the problem. I'll reserve judgement until I've taken the ring off and filed the pin a shade to make a positive clearance. I can't easily reverse the experiment since I'm not sure I can get all the paper out.

peetee

Postby peetee » 11 Nov 2018, 6:11pm

Ha ha. I am such a nit. I actually meant standing to one side of the bike with your foot on the wheel axle. But great, glad you have got somewhere and if I had taken a bit more time and care to write that I think I would have explained better and then suggested the same method on the BB spindle too - but you beat me to it. :D
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.