New Bike.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Debs

Re: New Bike.

Post by Debs »

pete75 wrote:
It's just a bog standard Royal Enfield Constellation 1958. 700cc, only 50bhp but that was a lot back then. The guy I bought from had done a "nut and bolt" restoration. The only thing he hadn't done was the wheel rims but I've bought a pair and will be rebuilding the wheels soon.

The horse power of classic British bikes can appear low but at least the tuning gave the engine decent torque outputs which IMHO is far more useful in real life riding experience ride feel than horses.
Japanese bikes typically have more HP, but at the expense of lower torque, higher revs and more wear and tear.

All my motorbike experience is on Japanese bikes, with the exception of a 'Hinckley' Triumph.. which understandably to many, doesn't really count as a true British bike.

But generally i by far prefer motorbikes that have an engineered low revving power characteristic such a singles or V twins,
and preferably a gear lever for the left foot :D

Congrats on your bike purchase, Pete
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Debs wrote:
pete75 wrote:
It's just a bog standard Royal Enfield Constellation 1958. 700cc, only 50bhp but that was a lot back then. The guy I bought from had done a "nut and bolt" restoration. The only thing he hadn't done was the wheel rims but I've bought a pair and will be rebuilding the wheels soon.

The horse power of classic British bikes can appear low but at least the tuning gave the engine decent torque outputs which IMHO is far more useful in real life riding experience ride feel than horses.
Japanese bikes typically have more HP, but at the expense of lower torque, higher revs and more wear and tear.

All my motorbike experience is on Japanese bikes, with the exception of a 'Hinckley' Triumph.. which understandably to many, doesn't really count as a true British bike.

But generally i by far prefer motorbikes that have an engineered low revving power characteristic such a singles or V twins,
and preferably a gear lever for the left foot :D

Congrats on your bike purchase, Pete

Thanks! Enfield 700cc twin is particularly good on low down torque. The basic design is two long stroke 350 bullet engines - 70 x 90mm.

Hinckley Triumph - engine design heavily based on Kawasaki I believe.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
rjb

Post by rjb »

I have a photo of my grandad on an AA motorbike and sidecar. He was a patrolman based in Pembroke. I popped the reg no into the DVLA website and it came up as a Triumph S6. A 600cc side valve first registered in 1938. Production of these machines only lasted from 1937 to 1939 when the war effort stopped production for other priorities. Does anyone know how to check if it is still on the road and who the current owner may be, or if it has been scrapped. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:50bhp was a lot for cars back then, let alone motorbikes.

My first car was a 848cc Mini with 30 odd bhp and my second car, 1966 Triumph Herald was a 1150(?) engine with 40 odd bhp. It was an uprated engine from the standard Herald, and it had disc brakes! :D

Longer stroke though so more torque.

Remember the HP tax? For a while engines in even large vehicles made just 3 or 4 hp but had 5000 tons / foot of torque thanks to a piston 1/4" across with a 10 foot stroke.
(Might be an exaggeration but you get the picture)
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

rjb wrote:I have a photo of my grandad on an AA motorbike and sidecar. He was a patrolman based in Pembroke. I popped the reg no into the DVLA website and it came up as a Triumph S6. A 600cc side valve first registered in 1938. Production of these machines only lasted from 1937 to 1939 when the war effort stopped production for other priorities. Does anyone know how to check if it is still on the road and who the current owner may be, or if it has been scrapped. :D

If its still on the dvla register then its still ALIVE :D

There is no way for anyone to obtain the current keepers name / address...( no way legally ) . I would suggest registering with the Owners Club and put a post on their forum..You may get a response
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

N+x?

How many motor-bikes do you have, pete75?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:N+x?

Only 4. Had two a BMW R1200GS and the MZ pictured but bought a couple more after I got made redundant. I don't know why people dread redundancy - got an almost six figure settlement and they started paying my pension straightaway because I was over 55. Best thing that's happened to me work wise.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I sold it 8 years ago, but old British bikes look as motorcycles should in my opinion.
Attachments
582BF209-26F9-40CF-900E-7CB669721E54.jpeg
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I have done a lot of cycling and driven cars a lot but never ridden a motor-Cycle

Can anyone describe what motor-Cycling is like?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:

Only 4. Had two a BMW R1200GS and the MZ pictured but bought a couple more after I got made redundant. I don't know why people dread redundancy - got an almost six figure settlement and they started paying my pension straightaway because I was over 55. Best thing that's happened to me work wise.

... because most people get Statutory only Pete.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I have done a lot of cycling and driven cars a lot but never ridden a motor-Cycle

Can anyone describe what motor-Cycling is like?

Totally immersive, but in a different way to cycling. Less about being immersed in your surroundings, and more to do with being immersed in the riding of the bike. Taking a corner in a smooth and fast manner is very satisfying.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Most people get what is in their contract of employment.
Last edited by pete75 on 27 Oct 2018, 9:16pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:

And in most cases the two are synonymous.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:... because most people get Statutory only Pete.

And in most cases the two are synonymous.

It can be more or less than I got - a friend got £485,000 as her termination payout. Our former Chief Exec got £9 million. I know quite a few people who've been made redundant and all got more than statutory. I thought paying statutory was quite rare.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Whippet wrote:I sold it 8 years ago, but old British bikes look as motorcycles should in my opinion.

My Commando got stolen in Leeds in 1979 :cry: Looks like you fitted that Norvil front disc. Was it much better than standard?