New Bike.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: New Bike.

Post by Bonefishblues »

In large employers and the public sector there is usually a degree of enhancement, but for most others, no.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Most people get what is in their contract of employment.

And in most cases the two are synonymous.

It can be more or less than I got - a friend got £485,000 as her termination payout. Our former Chief Exec got £9 million. I know quite a few people who've been made redundant and all got more than statutory. I thought paying statutory was quite rare.

I would like to join (or rather leave) such a firm, is the name secret, would you care to pm it to me? :wink:
What does one do with 485k?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Pay a lot of tax as a starter!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:In large employers and the public sector there is usually a degree of enhancement, but for most others, no.

Neither of the ones I mentioned were in the public sector and neither was mine. The £485,000 was from a smallish firm with about 100 staff.
Mine did include statutory notice payment as well which bumped it up by 12 weeks but that's the same everywhere i.e. they must pay your notice period on top of any redundancy. I also had half my leave entitlement outstanding which bumped it up by another three weeks.
I don't think I'd accept a contract of employment that only offered basic redundancy. If the firm is a skinflint with that they're likely to be a bad employer in other areas like pensions and leave entitlement as well.
Last edited by pete75 on 27 Oct 2018, 9:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:And in most cases the two are synonymous.

It can be more or less than I got - a friend got £485,000 as her termination payout. Our former Chief Exec got £9 million. I know quite a few people who've been made redundant and all got more than statutory. I thought paying statutory was quite rare.

I would like to join (or rather leave) such a firm, is the name secret, would you care to pm it to me? :wink:
What does one do with 485k?

She paid off her mortgage amongst other things and started up her own firm in the same line of business. Her income doubled within two years so it worked out well.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
IIRC 732 cc, without googling it and 70 mph in second, what a beast, my 5'5'' sibly owned one but needed a stool to get on and off :lol:
Sort of squat looking......the bike. (692cc something.)
Ah well the intercepter was 731 cc - 58 bhp google , 45 year old memory :?
Even with 55 bhp my vf400fd would be going 10mph faster in a standing quarter, blipping to 13,500 rpm :mrgreen: Same top end speed.

A motor cycle is like comparing technical drafting to 3D modelling.............the car is 2D.
The motor sits between the legs, draw dropping........free falling....flying :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:The motor sits between the legs, draw dropping........free falling....flying :)

Not on my BMW it don't - can't open them that wide :wink:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I've had quite a few bikes motor and pedal but out of the whole lot this is teh one I liked best

bike1.JPG
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

pete75 wrote:
Whippet wrote:I sold it 8 years ago, but old British bikes look as motorcycles should in my opinion.

My Commando got stolen in Leeds in 1979 :cry: Looks like you fitted that Norvil front disc. Was it much better than standard?

Mine was the Combat 750. Had that disk on when I bought it so not sure if it’s an upgrade. It was certainly adequate. Bad luck about getting yours stolen, annoying with something that would be extremely difficult to replace.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Whippet wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Whippet wrote:I sold it 8 years ago, but old British bikes look as motorcycles should in my opinion.

My Commando got stolen in Leeds in 1979 :cry: Looks like you fitted that Norvil front disc. Was it much better than standard?

Mine was the Combat 750. Had that disk on when I bought it so not sure if it’s an upgrade. It was certainly adequate. Bad luck about getting yours stolen, annoying with something that would be extremely difficult to replace.

Mine was a Combat Roadster - looks like yours was the Interstate. Standard front disc caliper is like this. Yours had what was called the Norvil caliper as fitted to Commando production racers so I'm assuming it was more effective than the usual item.

Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Come to think of it i did test ride one with that brake, very wooden! So yes, my brake was much better.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

That's an elegant detail - almost Art Deco some decades after the fact.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

pete75 wrote:I've had quite a few bikes motor and pedal but out of the whole lot this is teh one I liked best

bike1.JPG

I’m the same now. Faced with riding motorbike or cycle, the choice is always cycle. I keep my motorbike because I know that I’d never be crazy enough to buy another once it’s gone.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:That's an elegant detail - almost Art Deco some decades after the fact.

Quite a few design details on a Commando were quite elegant. The bike won an award at the design centre in the early seventies. 750 Combat engine was brutal rather than elegant though.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Check this 2010 news article out 8)

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/blac ... in-belgium

...i wonder where they are now?
Last edited by Debs on 28 Oct 2018, 7:40pm, edited 1 time in total.