New Bike.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

New Bike.

Post by pete75 »

I'm quite proud of it .

20180927_130103.jpg
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Re: New Bike.

Post by pwa »

It has a classic look. Details?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:It has a classic look. Details?

It's just a bog standard Royal Enfield Constellation 1958. 700cc, only 50bhp but that was a lot back then. The guy I bought from had done a "nut and bolt" restoration. The only thing he hadn't done was the wheel rims but I've bought a pair and will be rebuilding the wheels soon.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Pre unit gearbox? About 500cc?

That's about as much as I can guess from the picture, I certainly don't recognise the badge. (My motorbikes have all been Japanese.)

<Edit> askmid comes to my assistance "Royal Enfield Constellation" apparently.
pwa

Post by pwa »

50bhp isn't that low. I once had a small car with about 50bhp. It's a lovely thing though.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

kwackers wrote:Pre unit gearbox? About 500cc?

That's about as much as I can guess from the picture, I certainly don't recognise the badge. (My motorbikes have all been Japanese.)

<Edit> askmid comes to my assistance "Royal Enfield Constellation" apparently.

Enfields used a separate gearbox but bolted to the back of the engine in a fixed position with slipper adjustment for the primary chain. They then used the the combined unit as part of the frame - no frame tubes under the engine. Traditional pre unit had the separate gearbox mounted in plates and you moved the gearbox to adjust the primary chain. That put the final drive chain out of adjustment so that needed adjusting too.
This is a BSA A10 pre unit and you can see the adjuster to move the gearbox for primary chain tensioning. It's just abov ethe clutch operating arm.

The Japanese did the same thing on some bikes - here's the Kawasaki copy of the BSA A10.

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

50bhp was a lot for cars back then, let alone motorbikes.

My first car was a 848cc Mini with 30 odd bhp and my second car, 1966 Triumph Herald was a 1150(?) engine with 40 odd bhp. It was an uprated engine from the standard Herald, and it had disc brakes! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

My first-ever car (an Austin A55 old banger) was also around 50bhp - not the 55bhp which the "A55" might lead you to expect... And it was quite a decent runner - as long as it lasted.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I used to talk to a guy who had a Royal Enfield Constellation at the TT. It was considered the performance Royal Enfield of the time. Nice bike, hope you enjoy it.
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

Here's mine, a 1970 BSA Victor Special. Just finished a total rebuild.
P1060481.jpg
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ubert767 wrote:Here's mine, a 1970 BSA Victor Special. Just finished a total rebuild.P1060481.jpg

Not bad!! I've always liked those.
I've an Enfield Bullet in similar style.

s-l1600.jpg
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Small confession (if it's indeed that), I've never so much as cocked my leg over anything motorised with 2 wheels, so my opinion can be safely ignored :)

...that said, the old British bikes don't do anything for me, but some of the Eastern Europeans like CZ, Jawa et al, and also some classic Italians like Benelli I could see myself puttering gently along on, given a sunny day. It won't happen, of course!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Small confession (if it's indeed that), I've never so much as cocked my leg over anything motorised with 2 wheels, so my opinion can be safely ignored :)

...that said, the old British bikes don't do anything for me, but some of the Eastern Europeans like CZ, Jawa et al, and also some classic Italians like Benelli I could see myself puttering gently along on, given a sunny day. It won't happen, of course!

Closest I have to that is one of these - MZ TS250.

pwa

Post by pwa »

I saw a new version Triumph Bonneville in Masham and as a non-motorcyclist it seemed to me to capture some of the aesthetics of classic motorcycles with modern engineering. But I bet it's harder to do your own spanner work on one of those.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Small confession (if it's indeed that), I've never so much as cocked my leg over anything motorised with 2 wheels, so my opinion can be safely ignored :)

Closest I have to that is one of these - MZ TS250.

That'll do :D

Straight out of the scene in The Snowman!